The Student Room Group

Viktor Orban pushes for joint European army

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Interesting that RT chose to focus on a NATO person being less keen and not focusing on the fact that Poland despises Russia and would want those forces aimed squarely to it's east.

I'm not possessed since the UK is leaving.
Reply 2
NATO are never the aggressor. America are never the big bully.
Reply 3
Original post by Neodrome
NATO are never the aggressor. America are never the big bully.

Western expansion (be it through NATO or this new EU armed forces) is in UK interests. Threats from Russia and the Middle East must be taken very seriously.
Original post by Rakas21
Western expansion (be it through NATO or this new EU armed forces) is in UK interests. Threats from Russia and the Middle East must be taken very seriously.

Realistically Russia is not any kind of threat to us unless it overruns a large part of Europe again.

If the EU took on entirely the cost of holding Russia's border to the East of the Baltic, this would free up us (and the US) to concentrate on other things.

We also should not rule out of the possibility of alliance with Russia if the EU acts too strongly against our interests.
Reply 5
Original post by Observatory
Realistically Russia is not any kind of threat to us unless it overruns a large part of Europe again.

If the EU took on entirely the cost of holding Russia's border to the East of the Baltic, this would free up us (and the US) to concentrate on other things.

We also should not rule out of the possibility of alliance with Russia if the EU acts too strongly against our interests.

I'm more concerned about it chipping away at bits of its border. Death by a thousand cuts so to speak.

One imagines that would be the goal, especially with even Obama and Trump being less keen on the free rider situation in NATO than prior presidents.

True, although it's hard to see where they'd act directly against our foreign policy interests (Gibraltor?). My primary concern would be it being under the control of toothless beaurocrats and/or cowards/isolationists/pacifists (only France and Poland seem really interested in action generally).
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21

The lives lost because that line of thinking are how much so far?
Reply 7
Lol, I thought Orban knew better.

It'll be mightily difficult to implement anything like this with proRussia Le Pen breathing down Sarkozy's neck after the elections.

If the EU doesn't disintegrate outright, most people who aren't cucked by globalism are starting to see Russia as an ally, not an enemy, and therefore an EU army as nothing more than an imperialist force to destroy national sovereignty by creating Soviet style army units, deployed to countries other than their own, where they are more willing to crush civil unrest arising from the EU's mass migration -> police state agenda.
Reply 8
Original post by Sea Kelp
The lives lost because that line of thinking are how much so far?

He doesn't care, he easies equates soulless imperialism with masculinity.
Reply 9
Original post by 41b
He doesn't care, he easies equates soulless imperialism with masculinity.

Can't say i care about political masculinity. For me the simple question to be answered is 'is it in my political self interest'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending