The Student Room Group

3 As for AS?

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to achieve the highest grades in my first year of sixth form.
I want to do History, Sociology and English Lit.
My AS grades will be the grades I use when I make uni applications and I hope to go to a Russle group uni, so either UCL, KCL, or LSE to study Law. The entry requirements for all three is an A*AA. Therefore I would like to achieve the highest grades for AS.
My issue is the GCSEs I recieved;
English Lit&Lang : BB
Science Additional&Core : BB
Maths: C
History: A
Drama: B
Citizenship: C
RE: B
So overall ; 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs, I feel these grades might stop me from going to the prestigious uni's which I stated above, but I hope to prove myself wrong and achieve the highest grades in Year12 and 13.
So I would like any advice on getting AAA for year 12.
History; GCSE grade A, how would I achieve an A in AS as well?
English Lit ; GCSE grade B, how can I achieve an A in AS?
Sociology; New subject for me, how can I achieve an A for As?
Sorry for the very long question, but I would appreciate any help which can be provided.
Thanks 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
I believe the requirements for LSE and UCL is a grade B in maths so if you applied with a C it'd be a straight rejection
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I believe the requirements for LSE and UCL is a grade B in maths so if you applied with a C it'd be a straight rejection

Yes I've seen, but I do not want to give up just yet.
I got an A in Lit AS. For Lit what you want to do is go on the website of your exam board and fully understand what markers are looking for. Understand what kinds of points you have to make by looking at example perfect answers.

I got a B in History. Basically just memorise all the information. I'm at a bit of a loss myself because I don't know what more I could have done to make that an A.

But for any A-level, the key to getting a good grade is doing independent work. Make sure you go through every past paper.
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I got an A in Lit AS. For Lit what you want to do is go on the website of your exam board and fully understand what markers are looking for. Understand what kinds of points you have to make by looking at example perfect answers.

I got a B in History. Basically just memorise all the information. I'm at a bit of a loss myself because I don't know what more I could have done to make that an A.

But for any A-level, the key to getting a good grade is doing independent work. Make sure you go through every past paper.

Thank you for the advice, and yes History has always been a game of memorisation.
Original post by _Hafsa

Good luck in getting A*AA but without the B in maths it's not so much that you're giving up on going to the UNisbut so much them giving up on your application.

You can try resit?
Original post by _Hafsa

The universities you mentioned are extremely competitive, and GCSE entry requirements simply aren't negotiable. There will be more applicants than there are spaces who have 3 or 4 As at AS and lots of A*s at GCSE; regardless of how good your application actually is, if you don't meet the basic GCSE requirements you'll just get rejected as it's just so competitive.

Simply put, you'll either need to resit GCSE Maths, or apply to other universities, otherwise you're just wasting applications.

As for A level advice, I did both History (I got an A*) and English Lit (I got an A). For History, it's largely about memorisation, and the other skills (source and essay skills) will come naturally with practice. There's a lot to learn, and it will seem overwhelming, but if you start revising early you'll be absolutely fine. For English Lit, it largely depends on your exam board, but do a lot of practice essays, as that'll improve your skills, and make sure that you're very familiar with your texts. Unlike GCSE, A levels are mostly about independent study, so as long as you're motivated and work hard, you'll be fine. Don't be surprised if you initially get low grades at the start of AS and then A2 - it's normal, but you'll need to work harder to get your grades up to the higher levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Good luck in getting A*AA but without the B in maths it's not so much that you're giving up on going to the UNisbut so much them giving up on your application.

You can try resit?

Thanks.
I can try and resit but the Gcse maths format is changing, and new topics are also being added, I was predicted a B in Maths however it has never been my strength, clearly shown by my C grade. However I do hope to achieve much more in the next two years by interesting extra curricular activities and hope to create a strong personal statement, where my C in maths is over looked. I hope this is possible.
Reply 8
Original post by doctorwhofan98
The universities you mentioned are extremely competitive, and GCSE entry requirements simply aren't negotiable. There will be more applicants than there are spaces who have 3 or 4 As at AS and lots of A*s at GCSE; regardless of how good your application actually is, if you don't meet the basic GCSE requirements you'll just get rejected as it's just so competitive.

Simply put, you'll either need to resit GCSE Maths, or apply to other universities, otherwise you're just wasting applications.

As for A level advice, I did both History (I got an A*) and English Lit (I got an A). For History, it's largely about memorisation, and the other skills (source and essay skills) will come naturally with practice. There's a lot to learn, and it will seem overwhelming, but if you start revising early you'll be absolutely fine. For English Lit, it largely depends on your exam board, but do a lot of practice essays, as that'll improve your skills, and make sure that you're very familiar with your texts. Unlike GCSE, A levels are mostly about independent study, so as long as you're motivated and work hard, you'll be fine. Don't be surprised if you initially get low grades at the start of AS and then A2 - it's normal, but you'll need to work harder to get your grades up to the higher levels.

Thank you for the useful advice.
Reply 10
Original post by gapyear2018

I actually ended up getting an offer from LSE for Law, so not really a straight rejection is it? Please don’t give out false information, without having gone through the process yourself and without the credibility of being an admissions tutor.
Reply 11
Original post by doctorwhofan98

Just to let you know I ended up getting the offer to study Law at LSE, it’s a good thing I didn’t take your advice. I hope this is a lesson for you to not discourage students in the future especially if you have not gone through the process yourself and most importantly, you are not an admissions tutor so you’re really just giving out false information.
Original post by _Hafsa
Just to let you know I ended up getting the offer to study Law at LSE, it’s a good thing I didn’t take your advice. I hope this is a lesson for you to not discourage students in the future especially if you have not gone through the process yourself and most importantly, you are not an admissions tutor so you’re really just giving out false information.

I'm glad you got an offer! I wasn't intending to be malicious at the time - I was basing what I said on what the LSE policy was at the time, which others had also stated before I posted. LSE has an acceptance rate of about 9.2% so it's one of the most competitive universities in the country, and everything pointed towards a rejection because of your GCSE Maths grade, which was the LSE policy at the time based on their website. However - you clearly did really well at AS, which we didn't know at the time as you hadn't sat them yet, and it appears LSE has since removed their GCSE Maths policy.

In this case I - and the others also posting in your thread - was clearly wrong and I'm happy you decided to apply anyway, but we were giving our best advice based on the circumstances at the time which later changed. I'll make sure I'm less 'black and white' in other advice posts and be clear that admissions policies can change, as happened with LSE, and a good academic future (as with your then-upcoming AS levels) can make a big difference.

I dispute the fact that I was giving out "false information" in that context; it's an advice website, largely from students to other students, and I was providing advice with all the information that I had accessible and was correct - information that changed between your post and your application.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _Hafsa

I apologise, but at the time I wrote my post they did explicitly say they required a B in GCSE maths so the information I gave was factually correct. Congrats on your offer!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest