The Student Room Group

Can I do A levels?

So I recieved my GCSE results and this is what I got:
English language- C (took it in year 10)
English literature- C
Maths- C
Spanish- C
Drama- C (took it in year 10)
Science- B
Add Science- B
History- B
Sociology- B
RE- B (took it in year 10)
Overall, i'm really disappointed with my grades and was wondering whether or not I should/could do A-levels. I have my sixth form interview soon and I need advice on what to do. Please help! Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alikkali
So I recieved my GCSE results and this is what I got:
English language- C (took it in year 10)
English literature- C
Maths- C
Spanish- C
Drama- C (took it in year 10)
Science- B
Add Science- B
History- B
Sociology- B
RE- B (took it in year 10)
Overall, i'm really disappointed with my grades and was wondering whether or not I should/could do A-levels. I have my sixth form interview soon and I need advice on what to do. Please help! Thank you :smile:

I'll just give you an average situation.

Some colleges do not even need you to attend an interview let alone apply in advance.

Although you may be disappointed with them grades you passed everything and that's all that matters, some people would be overjoyed with them grades.

You should definitely do A levels since some people still do even with Ds at GCSE.

what subjects you are permitted to take is down to your college.

However if you're very disappointed with them grades then I think you must live in a 'posh' area.

Some people are allowed to take maths and english A levels even though they haven't passed at GCSE. Since they can pay for you to resit these GCSEs up until you're 19.

It is really up to you - The fact you have 10 GCSEs is a huge achievement in itself.(DOUBLE DIGITS)

Regardless of grades - if you want to do A levels - go for it.
Reply 2
If you're prepared to work hard yes ! Alevels are far less about how naturally intelligent you are and far more how much effort you are prepared to put in. Many people who got all a's at GCSEs flopped alevels because they didn't work hard so it depends on your mentality and motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Hollyht
If you're prepared to work hard yes ! Alevels are far less about how naturally intelligent you are and far more how much effort you are prepared to put in. Many people who got all a's at GCSEs flopped alevels because they didn't work hard so it depends on your mentality and motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! I'm super motivated and determined to put my all into a levels but I don't know what subjects I can do and which a levels can benefit me in the long run
Reply 4
Original post by Maths is Life
I'll just give you an average situation.

Some colleges do not even need you to attend an interview let alone apply in advance.

Although you may be disappointed with them grades you passed everything and that's all that matters, some people would be overjoyed with them grades.

You should definitely do A levels since some people still do even with Ds at GCSE.

what subjects you are permitted to take is down to your college.

However if you're very disappointed with them grades then I think you must live in a 'posh' area.

Some people are allowed to take maths and english A levels even though they haven't passed at GCSE. Since they can pay for you to resit these GCSEs up until you're 19.

It is really up to you - The fact you have 10 GCSEs is a huge achievement in itself.(DOUBLE DIGITS)

Regardless of grades - if you want to do A levels - go for it.

Haha no I live in a w/c area but my friends achieved very good grades and it made me reconsider being able to do a levels. Also, do you think I should retake? My sixth form only allows to retake either maths or english lang. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest