The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
:woo:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry you had a few panic attacks but YAY for wedding venue being booked!!! :woo: :excited: :nutcase:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meanie TSR didn't show me these quotes :shakecane:

Thank you guys :hugs:
All the terrible and negative thoughts are back running around in my mind :redface:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Cheers! :colondollar:

Urgh what a crafty bugger. That's very sneaky of him, and very rude! I suppose it would depend on whether the member of permanent staff would be willing to back you or not, and whether there might be any repercussions from complaining :dontknow:

I don't think they will as they might risk losing their jobs which is understandable. It's how stupid I've been made to feel which bothers me. My boyfriend's brother suggested to me I should alter my accent to help my job prospects before; I guess he was on to something :frown:
Felt very funny and strange lately.
Kind of not in touch with things but there we go :redface:
Even though stuff can be not that pleasant i find myself just wanting to live in my dreams really mostly because it is easier and nothing is really off limits.
Anxiety has been high though so maybe that's it idk lol
anyway have to get on with things so that's that :smile:
How do you guys deal with intrusive thoughts? Mine are worse than usual today and I keep telling myself it's just the OCD and anxiety in general and I'm trying to distract myself but it seems to only be making them 'louder' today if you know what I mean? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
How do you guys deal with intrusive thoughts? Mine are worse than usual today and I keep telling myself it's just the OCD and anxiety in general and I'm trying to distract myself but it seems to only be making them 'louder' today if you know what I mean? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried any mindfulness meditation stuff? It's always helped me with OCD and other MH stuff. There are some free guided ones on YouTube. Other than that I find listening to music, playing an instrument or exercising helps - anything that keeps me in the here and now. It is tough though, I find intrusive thoughts to be the worst thing about OCD. I've never managed to get rid of them completely.

Congrats on the wedding by the way :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
Have you tried any mindfulness meditation stuff? It's always helped me with OCD and other MH stuff. There are some free guided ones on YouTube. Other than that I find listening to music, playing an instrument or exercising helps - anything that keeps me in the here and now. It is tough though, I find intrusive thoughts to be the worst thing about OCD. I've never managed to get rid of them completely.

Congrats on the wedding by the way :smile:

Thank you! :hugs:

Yeah I tried a mindfulness based therapy at the start of year with my old therapist but it wasn't the approach for me sadly :frown: it sucks because I have heard mindfulness works wonders for all different things. Maybe I should look into it again when I get a new therapist. Maybe it was the old therapist who made it not work and not the actual technique.

I'll check out some videos and articles on it though :smile: feeling a bit better now. I went out with my mum for a few hours and that helped
Im going into A-levels, I'm going to be having a support worker with me in the lessons in case I panic or have concentration issues she can help me take notes. She'll be sitting at the back but I'm scared this won't be helpful when it comes to making new friends?
Any advice? :/
Original post by Spock's Socks
Thank you! :hugs:

Yeah I tried a mindfulness based therapy at the start of year with my old therapist but it wasn't the approach for me sadly :frown: it sucks because I have heard mindfulness works wonders for all different things. Maybe I should look into it again when I get a new therapist. Maybe it was the old therapist who made it not work and not the actual technique.

I'll check out some videos and articles on it though :smile: feeling a bit better now. I went out with my mum for a few hours and that helped

No worries! Good to hear you're feeling better now :smile:

Yeah, it seems mindfulness works better for some than others, although I've always used guided meditations and I find the quality varies between them. I've found that 'You Productions' on YouTube have some good ones. Here's one for anxiety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsLnodJYdc . Hypnotherapy has also worked well for me, I don't know if you've ever tried that?

Having said that I find intrusive thoughts have been the one thing that won't really budge for me. It depends, sometimes I hardly notice them but when I'm stressed and overtired it's a nightmare. One thing which does really help and what the first therapist I ever saw back when I was 15 got me to do was to write out any intrusive thoughts. I found it really helped as it was a physical act of getting them out of my brain. I've found just keeping a notepad document and venting any thoughts/worries really helps.
Feeling liberated, I do not need that much negativity in my life :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aurorashpo
Im going into A-levels, I'm going to be having a support worker with me in the lessons in case I panic or have concentration issues she can help me take notes. She'll be sitting at the back but I'm scared this won't be helpful when it comes to making new friends?

If she's at the back, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: people tend to be pretty understanding as well, so I doubt it would deter many people from being friends with you. Best of luck, when do you start?

Original post by Anonymous
First timer here. I'm finding it hard to understand why I'm so irritable. Every little thing makes me so agitated and I feel so tense, I want to cry. Why is this happening?

Do you have a lot of stress on you at the moment? Or are you not sleeping/ eating properly? These can all have a massive effect on mood. Have you found that anything helps to make it better? :smile:
In a surprisingly stable state of mind at the moment, but life is having a good attempt at knocking me down :/
The guy who asked me out last week has now admitted to leading on two girls at the same time, which sucks. For once I've actually stood my ground though :smile:
Also, my brothers having a cancer scare at the moment. He's seeing the doctor this week. It's probably nothing, but our family is high risk since both parents have had it :frown:
Original post by Ezme39
In a surprisingly stable state of mind at the moment, but life is having a good attempt at knocking me down :/
The guy who asked me out last week has now admitted to leading on two girls at the same time, which sucks. For once I've actually stood my ground though :smile:
Also, my brothers having a cancer scare at the moment. He's seeing the doctor this week. It's probably nothing, but our family is high risk since both parents have had it :frown:

Sounds like you're handling it well! Make sure you let it off your chest though, can become overwhelming especially with cancer scares from personal experience.

Hope it all goes well!

P.S. **** that guy
Original post by aurorashpo

Dont worry about it, people are getting more mature around that time.

People dont care, I remember being jealous of someone I knew that had a support worker.

Take advantage of it.
Actually really enjoyed myself last night :lol:
apart from the first bit but even then i did get full fat cola although i did steal it :/
second bit wasn't so goo with all the black goo, was weird and claustrophobic but was breaking the law and felt strangely liberating :redface: (wouldnt inrl dw) then weird car chases in the dark, with the wet grass reoccurring as usual. Got separated from my brother which was kinda scary but teamed up with these hot girls and snogged em in a wet dark field so wasn't the end of the world :h:

now if they could all be like that wouldnt mind so much :blushing:
hope everyone is well and hopefully im being less annoying (am trying :redface:)
Original post by WolfGangPro
Sounds like you're handling it well! Make sure you let it off your chest though, can become overwhelming especially with cancer scares from personal experience.

Hope it all goes well!

P.S. **** that guy

Thanks :smile: I'm going with my brother to his appointment tomorrow; apparently I'm some sort of calming influence!
Moving out today. Extremely nervous and hope I can manage. :redface:
Feel like calling the crisis team but scared that they'll either not be able to help or over react and get me sectioned :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Moving out today. Extremely nervous and hope I can manage. :redface:

Best of luck! :smile:

Original post by Noodlzzz
Feel like calling the crisis team but scared that they'll either not be able to help or over react and get me sectioned :frown:

Not an easy decision... but if you feel you need them, then try to put some faith in them. How are you feeling now?
Original post by WBZ144
Has anyone experienced trying to meet a deadline while having severe depression? How did you get around it and force yourself to stay focused? I may be requesting a deadline extension next week but there is only so long I can get.

My issue was trying to revise with depression and anxiety. I also had terrible concentration issues and class time was so useless.
The best thing I can suggest is when you feel even the smallest urge to work grab onto it, hold it and stretch it out. I used my energetic bursts to power through and worked twice as hard in those small gaps than mediocre revision constantly.
You can give it your best and try to believe. I know it's not easy but you'll reach a point where you realise you can't put these things off anymore and you'll have to do it. Try and think of the bigger picture that there is an end goal, but i know how hard that can be.
Best of luck to you,

Latest