The Student Room Group

Guardian praises burkini as a "blend of Islamic values and western lifestyle"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mistletoe
It's desert attire, protection from sandstorms

Burkini =/= burqa
Reply 21
Anyway, I can see where they're coming from. Muslim women who otherwise wouldn't have gotten themselves involved in the old western pasttime of a day at the beach now have an option to do so. And the best way of increasing the intergration of a group is to give them options, not restrictions. Yes, such a method is slow and gradual, but anyone who wants sudden cultural change without far-reaching consequences isn't thinking realistically
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by RobML
Anyway, I can see where they're coming from. Muslim women who otherwise wouldn't have gotten themselves involved in the old western pasttime of a day at the beach now have an option to do so. And the best way of increasing the intergration of a group is to give them options, not restrictions. Yes, such a method is slow and gradual, but anyone who wants sudden change cultural change without far-reaching consequences isn't thinking realistically

Muslim women didn't wear burqas and even hijabs 25 years ago in the West. I have the feeling that they're going backwards.
Original post by folieadeux
Can someone who supports a ban of the burkini please give me an explanation for why they do? The only justification I've heard is that it 'oppresses' women - but surely telling a woman what she can or can't wear is just as oppressive?
each civilisation has dress codes - as an Amazonian tribesman, you can wander around everywhere naked - as a European, you can't, except in designated areas

is this also a form of "oppression" ?
Original post by Josb
Muslim women didn't wear burqas and even hijabs 25 years ago in the West. I have the feeling that they're going backwards.
in my view, the problem is that this sudden burkini craze is not innocent

it's clearly a political statement . It"s about making Islam more visible in Western societies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grand High Witch
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/25/burkini-french-muslim-isis

I am opposed to banning the burkini, but this is an amazing piece from a newspaper that will crucify anything believed to even have a hint of misogyny, including Thomas the Tank Engine.

I get that the left wants to rally against this ban for various reasons, ranging from pro-freedom to feeling it will fuel anti-Muslim prejudice - which is all fine, but this borders on endorsement and apologism, which again is amazing coming from this particular newspaper.

I think if all women were forced to wear burqas someone writing for The Guardian would still find some way to think it was progressive and liberal.
Reply 26
Original post by mariachi

it's clearly a political statement . It"s about making Islam more visible in Western societies.

Exactly.
If people want to wear a Burkini, good for them. If people want to be topless, good for them also.

I don't care if someone wants to cover themselves up head to toe or go completely naked. Freedom of choice eh.
Im struggling to understand what the problem is with 'Burkinis'. Someone explain please? :s-smilie:
let them wear what they want
in my view, the problem is that this sudden burkini craze is not innocent

What's wrong with people expressing their religion in public?
Original post by Trapz99

There is'nt anything wrong. If it was about a Christian Man wearing a Cassock it wouldn't be a debate on here i'm sure. But people feel the need to find everything wrong in a religion that isn't their own. So many more issues like Hunger, Homelessness and Trafficking but no, people want to find the things that they feel will put down a religion. :colonhash:
Original post by Trapz99
I didn't say it was wrong. I said that it's a political statement, and in fact, a quite debatable one

there are many reasons why it's disquieting

I don't particularly enjoy the idea of a society where people wander around in their religious uniforms, making them easily recognisable. This is dangerous, because any incident will immediately acquire a us-and-them dimension, and will risk to escalate. It would also encourage isolation and separateness (people would more easily consort only with their own in-group, and tend to marginalise outsiders)

distinctive clothing, in history, was always the expression of an ethnically/religiously/economically segregated society . It has left very bad memories, and is not something we should encourage . We should encourage what unites us, not what separates us

in the present situation, it is a particularly bad idea. Going to the the Nice beach in a burkini strikes me as being totally insensitive . Why precisely now, and not in past years ?

because it is, particularly now, a political statement, and linked to the present situation. An act of defiance, linked to the idea "Islam is under attack, let's put our Islamic identity under their noses"

not something that will, in any way, improve the situation

best
I didn't say it was wrong. I said that it's a political statement, and in fact, a quite debatable one

I don't particularly enjoy the idea of a society where people wander around in their religious uniforms, making them easily recognisable. This is dangerous, because any incident will immediately acquire a us-and-them dimension, and will risk to escalate. It would also encourage isolation and separateness (people would more easily consort only with their own in-group, and tend to marginalise outsiders)

distinctive clothing, in history, was always the expression of an ethnically/religiously/economically segregated society . It has left very bad memories, and is not something we should encourage . We should encourage what unites us, not what separates us

in the present situation, it is a particularly bad idea. Going to the the Nice beach in a burkini strikes me as being totally insensitive . Why precisely now, and not in past years ?

because it is, particularly now, a political statement, and linked to the present situation. An act of defiance, linked to the idea "Islam is under attack, let's put our Islamic identity under their noses"

best

So you feel no people should walk around in religious uniforms...Christians, Jews, Muslims etc? I don't mind the fact that religious clothing shouldn't be worn outside. But if that is the case it should apply to all religions and not just one, That would make it subjective.
They are +fashion in Ireland.
http://www.independent.ie/style/fashion/style-talk/why-irish-women-are-clamouring-to-get-their-hands-on-the-burkini-34997404.html

I do hope they will catch on here too, as beach body shaming is too often.

best

So people shouldn't be allowed to wear cultural clothing in public? A South Asian person shouldn't ever wear a sari, nor should an African wear african clothing etc... Everyone should have to wear English clothing? What a load of nonsense. There is something known as diversity in case you weren't aware. It's not an express of segregation- I certainly don't wear dresses inspired by Nigerian traditional wear to segregate myself or separate myself from society. Anyone who views such an expression of culture as something that shouldn't be encouraged is quite frankly absurd, and most likely also a bigot. People don't have to abandon their religious or cultural traditions in order to integrate. Integration isn't about abandoning an aspect of you are, it's about combination. I can be proudly British and wear a hijab, or Sari, or Turban, or african clothing. If you see that as an opposition to unity, then you need reevaluate your mindset.

Best
(edited 7 years ago)
lmao all u people who act like they care for these "oppressed" women.......
Reply 37
Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
There is'nt anything wrong. If it was about a Christian Man wearing a Cassock it wouldn't be a debate on here i'm sure. But people feel the need to find everything wrong in a religion that isn't their own. So many more issues like Hunger, Homelessness and Trafficking but no, people want to find the things that they feel will put down a religion. :colonhash:

Christianity isn't my religion. I don't have a religion.

Cassocks are only worn by religious "professionals"; I do not have a problem with imams' outfit as it is normal for them to wear a distinctive uniform. I do find it disturbing when laymen (and laywomen) think that wearing a uniform is necessary for practicing their religion.

Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
So you feel no people should walk around in religious uniforms...Christians, Jews, Muslims etc? I don't mind the fact that religious clothing shouldn't be worn outside. But if that is the case it should apply to all religions and not just one, That would make it subjective.

Christian laymen don't have a religious uniform. Islam is now the only religion that has a specific swimsuit.

Original post by Bornblue
If people want to wear a Burkini, good for them. If people want to be topless, good for them also.

I don't care if someone wants to cover themselves up head to toe or go completely naked. Freedom of choice eh.

Precisely, nudity is currently not allowed. But all of those who cried for the "freedom to wear what you want" didn't also ask to allow nudity.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
They are +fashion in Ireland.
http://www.independent.ie/style/fashion/style-talk/why-irish-women-are-clamouring-to-get-their-hands-on-the-burkini-34997404.html

I do hope they will catch on here too, as beach body shaming is too often.

Another page of free advertising for this woman.

Do you think that hiding bodies is the solution to "body shaming"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Because it kind of really is.
Reply 39

state your reasoning?

Quick Reply

Latest