The Student Room Group

Going into year 10

Hi so I'm going into year 10 and I have decided that I will download exam specifications and learn bits of them everyday .But I wanted to ask wether that would work and how you guys revised and got good results I want to start from the beginning of year 10 and 1 hour a day.
Reply 1
Original post by HN786
Hi so I'm going into year 10 and I have decided that I will download exam specifications and learn bits of them everyday .But I wanted to ask wether that would work and how you guys revised and got good results I want to start from the beginning of year 10 and 1 hour a day.

I have taken triple science English maths history r.s German I want to buy books for all of these but it will be a bit pricey so should I buy some books or juts look at exam specifications and learn everything I need to know from there
Original post by HN786

Beginning of Year 10 is way too early considering you haven't even began learning the content again. I don't really see the point in teaching yourself the specification when you're going to be taught it again in school anyway. For Year 10, I would honestly just recommend focusing on your coursework and if you don't understand anything in lesson, make sure you go over it at home as it will save you a lot of time when it comes to revising for the proper exams.

Also exam specifications don't go into early enough detail that you need. I would definitely recommend getting the revision guides. If they're too expensive, maybe you could buy used copies or look for revision videos on Youtube?

Here's some resources that I used that definitely helped:

Languages:
http://www.memrise.com/home/

English:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles/playlists

If you tell me your exam boards for your subjects I might be able to find some more stuff for you.

Good luck and enjoy Year 10! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by trabajadora
Beginning of Year 10 is way too early considering you haven't even began learning the content again. I don't really see the point in teaching yourself the specification when you're going to be taught it again in school anyway. For Year 10, I would honestly just recommend focusing on your coursework and if you don't understand anything in lesson, make sure you go over it at home as it will save you a lot of time when it comes to revising for the proper exams.

Also exam specifications don't go into early enough detail that you need. I would definitely recommend getting the revision guides. If they're too expensive, maybe you could buy used copies or look for revision videos on Youtube?

Here's some resources that I used that definitely helped:

Languages:
http://www.memrise.com/home/

English:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles/playlists

If you tell me your exam boards for your subjects I might be able to find some more stuff for you.

Good luck and enjoy Year 10! :smile:

We're not doing coursework in the new 9-1 GCSE and I just want to do something everyday for 1 hour that will just help and help me memorise stuff for the exams.i thought maybe if I recap some lessons everyday and write that stuff down so I have it for future exams ready
Reply 4
Hello
Original post by HN786

I think that your plan sounds great but to be honest you're probably thinking of trying too hard early on - you can burn out quite quickly doing that much extra work. I know from personal experience. I only really started revising 1-2 hours a night from January in year 11 and got 11A*s and 1A, which is probably a mixture of 8s and 9s in the new GCSE, so you can still get a great result without pushing yourself too much. If you feel you can handle the extra work then great but the workload goes up from year 9 to 10 in my opinion. I know people who were predicted straight A*s who got Bs and Cs because they peaked in year 10. Pick what is right for you.
Just ignore this post
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think you should stress and push yourself so early on, most Y11's can get A*'s and revise from January, to be perfectly honest just pay attention in class and make lots of good notes and revise well for each test you have - enjoy Y10 and don't stress about it
Survived year 10 exams were pretty hard since they gave everyone the higher foundation tier science paper but you never guessed what happened a boy in my class starting to disturb the examinations of other students bye shouting some lady took him and told he was not allowed to be with the other people in the examination so he sat in quiet room
I started revising for exams in Feb-March. Enjoy year 10 and focus on controlled assessments as they can make or break your grade. For me if I started that early I would forget it all by yr11. Revise for topic tests as you go along and you'll be fine. And yes using the spec works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't study purely from specification (unless it's French for vocabulary), because I tried this for Chemistry (AQA 9-1), and I did a past paper example, and I knew the answers for only around 25% of the questions.
Feel free to flick through the spec, see what yiure going to be learning, but theres no point memorising it. Thats what lessons are for. Youll just burn yourself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HN786

I had similar plans of wanting to start early but for me I struggled to keep up with my revision plans as they were too ambitious. Using the exam specifications are great and are a great tool but I find it a lot more effective created a to do list weekly and checking things off over the week as I don't feel too overworked. So, in your case, I would put homework and more important tasks at the top and then put what topic in a certain subject I want to revise from the exam specification. Over the week I finish what has to be done but still go over the exam specification. So if you feel you need to revise you just turn to your list and see what you set yourself. Obviously, if you feel you are going through it quickly, put more revision tasks on your lists.

Quick Reply

Latest