The Student Room Group

Hating a teacher

Is there a teacher you hated you still remember today?

There was one vile teacher I had who would always take slight digs at my intelligence and told my parents in parents evening I was not the brightest. Now I finished school I had a look at her Facebook and found she went to a polytechnic while I'm going to a Russell Group and that gives me immense satisfaction. Is it bad to feel this way?

I have so much pent up anger towards this teacher... They're part of why I had such low self-esteem at school.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A driving instructor I had who was a total meanie, stopped having lessons with her and got another one, but even now when I think back I still get mad when I picture our lessons.
A maths tutor my mum got me when I was struggling with AS maths, had to go to her house for the sessions but I have never known someone with such a talent for making a student feel awful about themselves and doubt their ability completely.
Funny how any bad teacher I've come across and hated because they've been so horrible to me have been outside of school and female.
Yes, I've had a teacher that bullied me throughout the whole time in middle school, and she was also my homeroom teacher so I got to see her every day. I couldn't stand her then, because due to her behaviour everyone in my class hated me.

However, I'm sure she regrets it now, and even if she doesn't it doesn't matter now. It was a long time ago and I'm just simply glad it was me and not some other classmate, because it would've been painful to watch someone else get demoralised without being able to do anything (I was 11 ffs and the parents were very ignorant in that class).
I don't hate my teacher anymore. My Spanish teacher was rude to me. Every time I saw her I rolled my eyes.
Original post by grassntai

There was one vile teacher I had who would always take slight digs at my intelligence and told my parents in parents evening I was not the brightest. Now I finished school I had a look at her Facebook and found she went to a polytechnic while I'm going to a Russell Group and that gives me immense satisfaction. Is it bad to feel this way?

I have so much pent up anger towards this teacher... They're part of why I had such low self-esteem at school.

Seems like you have other issues and focused it on this teacher. Maybe go and get some therapy to deal with the anger at least, hatred and anger are so pointless and will only eat you up.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Seems like you have other issues and focused it on this teacher. Maybe go and get some therapy to deal with the anger at least, hatred and anger are so pointless and will only eat you up.

Perhaps so but this teacher really damaged my self-esteem. Imagine being an insecure 13 year old and being told you're thick and you should drop their course (even though I got an A* at the end). Everyone hated her because she was so rude and nasty towards everyone. I just don't get how these people can become teachers?! I get it if you want to be the 'strict' type of teacher, but there's no need to be so unnecessarily rude and vile. Teachers play a key role in the development of young people. Not just in educating them but being role models and inspiring their students. This horrible woman is still the most vile person I've ever come across in my life. And it's a shame her memory will taint my positive experience of all the other amazing teachers I've had in school.
Original post by 999tigger

Or the teacher was just a bit of a ass. Anger and hatred only eat you up if you let them, having anger and hatred alone does not.
Yes, my high school food technology teacher. She was the most bad-tempered, unlikable person you can imagine! She was constantly in a bad mood and shouted at us all the time (she was even rude towards her assistant!). Everyone was afraid of her, and needless to say, we were all very happy (and actually cheered) when she announced she was retiring!
I have had and still have issues with figures in authority. You ask "It is bad to feel this way" to whom are you asking the question, you will get as many people saying yes it is bad as you do that say it isn't. You must make the decision, if it upsets you and worries you then it is bad, if you are ok with it and it doesn't bother you then it is good. From the outside in I would say that it is bad as it has been of sufficient concern for you to ask others on this forum. My advice is to learn to let it go. Find other ways through meditation and mindfulness to allow the anger to float away. This does work. 12 months ago I was very sceptical about this approach and it is really hard work but try it, speak with people and research.
Good Luck
A well wisher.
Omg I had one of those food tech teachers as well! I didn't hate her but she was quite annoying and having to listen to her shouting and huffing all the time got tiresome. Maybe it's just a food tech things and it was being in that food tech kitchen that made them all so crabby :wink::biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes, my high school food technology teacher. She was the most bad-tempered, unlikable person you can imagine! She was constantly in a bad mood and shouted at us all the time (she was even rude towards her assistant!). Everyone was afraid of her, and needless to say, we were all very happy (and actually cheered) when she announced she was retiring!
Reply 10
Original post by Wellwisher2
I have had and still have issues with figures in authority. You ask "It is bad to feel this way" to whom are you asking the question, you will get as many people saying yes it is bad as you do that say it isn't. You must make the decision, if it upsets you and worries you then it is bad, if you are ok with it and it doesn't bother you then it is good. From the outside in I would say that it is bad as it has been of sufficient concern for you to ask others on this forum. My advice is to learn to let it go. Find other ways through meditation and mindfulness to allow the anger to float away. This does work. 12 months ago I was very sceptical about this approach and it is really hard work but try it, speak with people and research.
Good Luck
A well wisher.

Maybe you're correct. I have been meaning to get into meditation for a long time so I'll try it out, thank you.
Oh yes, I hated most of the teachers in my sixth form.
I had a tech teacher who was such a d**k, he picked favourites and picked on me and my friend the full 2 years we had him. He called my friend a waste of space in his face twice infront of the full class lmao. Also i mentioned he picked favourites it was because he was extremely soft on the girls of the class, if the boys were late for class they would be shouted at and asked to wait behind 5 minutes after the bell or something like that but if it was a girl he would just say something like "come on ladies don't be late again". I remeber this one time i was walking to class and he was behind me walking to get to his classroom as well but moments before i could get to the door he pushed me aside and walked infront of me and i took it as a joke and just before i'm about to enter the classroom he stops me and questions me why i'm late. I was like wtf i was infront of you before you pushed me aside and walked infront of me. Anyway i dropped the subject years ago and haven't even spoken to him once since then. He is quite a sad c**t if you think about it, i've spoken to a lot of people who have had him and all of them agree with me that he was the worst, i doubt he has made a postive impact on any students life. Also i never see him in the staff room or talking to any other teachers, probs cause none of them like him either.
Bad teachers are the worse - if you hate your job, just quit! Having a bad teacher could make you hate a subject you once enjoyed, which obviously would decrease your overall motivation for the subject and consequently giving you bad grades. :s-smilie:
why do u hate pe so much? i dont get it
I didn't even choose GCSE PE but still have to do a compulsory 5 hours per fortnight (same as Year 7 and Year 8), like wtf? I could be spending those quality 5 hours doing something productive, but no, instead I have to run a mile in cold torrential rain (they actually made us do this once, ended up getting incredibly ill).
I despised this warty witch.
She was a music teacher in primary school who laughed at me after saying I wanted to play an instrument. "You think you can play that? *laughs* You'll never be as good as those girls" I was 6.
Needless to say, her precious students ('those girls') gave up playing their violins and piano playing and joined the sports teams

Spoiler

Original post by grassntai

Trust me! some teachers can turn out to be ultimate snakes and are nasty. I think secretly they hate to see other pupils do well. I was told I was setting myself up for failure. Always remain modest and keep your wits about you...sometimes people are good at exams and go to top unis some have the same intelligence but not great in the exams and end up in lower tier unis.

Well done about getting into an RG!!!l

just wish your teacher well and move on with your life...some people can never turn from the pain a vile teacher did to them!

this is a chapter in your story to you journey to success!

Quick Reply

Latest