The Student Room Group

How long does it normally take to pass a driving test?

Hi, I turn 17 in September and am going to be starting my driving lessons. I've never driven a car before and don't know the theory, although I am extremely good at revising for exams. I'm just wondering how long it took some of you guys to learn how to drive and pass the test as well as how long it takes for most people.
Also, I want to ask for a car for Christmas - do you reckon I may be able to pass my test by then?
The time it takes people to learn to drive varies a lot! For example, it took me just under 11 months to learn and pass my test, but other people I know took years to learn. You probably already know that you need to pass the theory test before you can book your practical test, so the sooner you can get that done, the sooner you can pass the practical.

Another thing to consider is that there is usually a long waiting list when you book your test. At my test centre the waiting list is around 6 weeks (so if you wanted to book a test there now for example, you'd have to wait until mid-October to take the test), but it can be up to 12 weeks in some places. So you need remember that you may have to wait for a month or more before you can actually take your test once you feel you're ready to book it :smile:
Reply 2
I passed in 2 months so you have enough time.
Original post by B_9710
I passed in 2 months so you have enough time.

How did you fit the wait for a theory pass and then waiting for a driving test into two months?

It just isn't physically possible where I live ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
How did you fit the wait for a theory pass and then waiting for a driving test into two months?

It just isn't physically possible where I live ...

You have to make sure you look for cancellations that you can book quickly.
Reply 5
Book your theory test while you are doing lessons.
Original post by sdotd
Book your theory test while you are doing lessons.

Agree with this. My parents forced me to spend 2 months revising for my theory, do my test then start lessons. You do not need that long for theory lessons, even a week is enough to go over the stuff. Don't do what I'm doing either which is basically have lessons when I can and when I come back from uni during summer holidays and Christmas holidays because your lessons become fragmented.
Also I had a complete c*** of a female driving instructor for a while because my old instrucotr was fully booked, and that's knocked my confidence driving. So my advice would be your main priority should be finding an instrucotr you're 100% confident with. Don't pre pay lessons until you've had a couple of lessons with an instructor and you're 100% happy. The minute the make you feel uncomfortable with them or lousy about yourself and tell you off, ditch them and find another instructor. You're the one paying here you don't owe them anything
Reply 7
I started learning in the Easter Holidays for 1 month, then went back to uni for 2 months and then passed 2 months after coming home from uni. So 5 months in total, 3 months technically. It probably would have been even less if I hadn't had the break though. Also I took my theory about 6 months before I started my lessons. I revised for that in about a week. So I would book your theory asap and get that out of the way. Then book your practical and look for a cancellation with the app. Although it might be good to have a few lessons first cause you might not take to driving. You can still practise driving in your own car with your parents even if you haven't passed your test so that shouldn't really stop you from asking for a car. Its all really expensive though!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DavMax15
Hi, I turn 17 in September and am going to be starting my driving lessons. I've never driven a car before and don't know the theory, although I am extremely good at revising for exams. I'm just wondering how long it took some of you guys to learn how to drive and pass the test as well as how long it takes for most people.
Also, I want to ask for a car for Christmas - do you reckon I may be able to pass my test by then?

How long it takes to learn depends on how frequently you have lessons, the pace of the lessons, you're natural ability, and whether you have a car you can practice in between lessons.

Unfortunately my family don't have a car that i can practice in so it's taking ages.
Reply 9
It took me 4 days from first lesson to passing my test. Having never driven a car before.
This was about a month after passing theory test.
I'm also 28 years of age, so even though I did it in a very short space of time, I'm still about 10 years slower than most people.
But if you want to pass your test quickly you can, just be prepared to take long lessons.
(edited 7 years ago)
It will vary on the individual on how long it'll take for them to pass! Also, what you've got to remember is there is a theory test which you will need to pass before taking the practical, and with a practical test it can take ages to take a test as there is a waiting list (or if you can move it forward from a cancellation then obviously sooner) :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending