The Student Room Group

Gcse maths retake- whilst doing a-level maths

HIII,

I have received my Gcse results and the only subject that has been a let down was Maths (Grade C), however I want to study Medicine and take Maths to A-levels. I was feeling poorly and under performed for my GCSE MATHS examination. I am planning to retake the gcse maths November paper, whilst being privately entered for Maths A-level? is this a good idea?

I really really need help and advice!
Any advice is highly appreciated!
thank you so much
What grade do you usually get in maths?
Reply 2
Original post by PinkandBlue00
What grade do you usually get in maths?

An A grade
Reply 3
This could detract from your A level studies. If you think you'll be able to independently study a full maths A level then go ahead, but this is often a poor choice as many people work better with a teacher.
Reply 4
Original post by gregy521
This could detract from your A level studies. If you think you'll be able to independently study a full maths A level then go ahead, but this is often a poor choice as many people work better with a teacher.

I wont be working independently, ill be having a tutor teacher..
Reply 5
You're ****ed.
Original post by rajita1
HIII,

I have received my Gcse results and the only subject that has been a let down was Maths (Grade C), however I want to study Medicine and take Maths to A-levels. I was feeling poorly and under performed for my GCSE MATHS examination. I am planning to retake the gcse maths November paper, whilst being privately entered for Maths A-level? is this a good idea?

thank you so much

Why are you taking A-Level Maths to get into Medicine? You only need it at Cambridge.
Reply 7
Original post by Fly.RK_
You're ****ed.

Explain yourself please :frown:((
Reply 8
Original post by rajita1
I wont be working independently, ill be having a tutor teacher..

In that case you'll be slightly better suited to pass it, although it may still hurt your chances. It depends how well you can handle large workloads and your ability to do your own independent study.
Reply 9
Yeah my friend did this, its fine. You dont need alevel maths for medicine though, probably better to do something contrasting like an arts which is also diffcult
Reply 10
Original post by AngryRedhead
Why are you taking A-Level Maths to get into Medicine? You only need it at Cambridge.

Without Maths its difficult for me to get into Medicine..
Original post by rajita1
HIII,

thank you so much

I from personal experience would say retake your GCSE maths to try and get a B or higher. but if your on a C at the moment, dont bother doing A level maths. I got a B at gcse and revised a crap load and turned out to get a U in the real exam (just last year).

Think carefully about what subjects you really need to get into medicine and dont underestimate the jump from GCSE to A level.

Youll be fine with chemistry and biology. Dont stress yourself with maths :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by tr.12
Yeah my friend did this, its fine. You dont need alevel maths for medicine though, probably better to do something contrasting like an arts which is also diffcult

can you please explan what exactly your friend did ? and what grades he/she got?

I am doing chem bio and socio (and art subj) and maths privately...
Reply 13
Original post by gregy521
In that case you'll be slightly better suited to pass it, although it may still hurt your chances. It depends how well you can handle large workloads and your ability to do your own independent study.

Thank you loads!
Reply 14
Original post by jellyandjam
I from personal experience would say retake your GCSE maths to try and get a B or higher. but if your on a C at the moment, dont bother doing A level maths. I got a B at gcse and revised a crap load and turned out to get a U in the real exam (just last year).

Think carefully about what subjects you really need to get into medicine and dont underestimate the jump from GCSE to A level.

Youll be fine with chemistry and biology. Dont stress yourself with maths :smile:

Did you put in a lot of effort or were you lazy? because maths requires effort, at least that's what they say..thank you for the advice appreciate it..
Reply 15
Original post by rajita1
can you please explan what exactly your friend did ? and what grades he/she got?

I am doing chem bio and socio (and art subj) and maths privately...

She got a B in gcse maths beacuse she was ill. Then she went on to do bio chem maths and R.S
She got an a* in her retake
and a B in AS maths

Wouldnt recommend AS maths at all if you have those subjects already. you dont nneed it for medicine

Quick Reply