The Student Room Group

UG Personal Statement

I'm just wondering - would there be any problems if I were to use a few phrases/analogies from my UG personal statement for my PG personal statement? I'm not talking about copying and pasting whole paragraphs, nor using the same structure or ideas, but a few things could definitely still work for my PG application. I've read somewhere that it's not considered plagiarism as it's technically my own work, but is it not frowned upon? If it could affect my application in any way I'd rather just not do it, but I thought it was worth asking. (I'm applying for maths-related degrees at Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE if it's relevant in any way.)

Thanks!
If it was relevant for UG is it really relevant for PG? If it is, re-write it rather than just copy. And you are mistaken - copying your own work can be plagiarism.
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
If it was relevant for UG is it really relevant for PG? If it is, re-write it rather than just copy. And you are mistaken - copying your own work can be plagiarism.

Thanks for replying! It's just as relevant as it was for my UG personal statement, just as explained in my previous post. I'm just interested if anybody knows precisely if I can do that or not.

And I am aware of self-plagiarism, it's just that I read (some time ago) that for uni applications when they check the similarity in your personal statement they automatically exclude anything that has been submitted previously under your details. However, I cannot find this information anymore.

Later edit: I'm probably not going down the road of copying anything, I'd rather not take that risk.
(edited 7 years ago)
Like the poster above I too am dubious of putting something that was relevant for UG into a PG statement. I strongly advise a rethink. In terms of plagiarism, what you're describing is how the UCAS system works. Some unis may have your UG statement on record and some may not and how they view your use of old stuff is up to them from a plagiarism perspective. From the perspective of an admissions tutor I would worry about a candidate who thinks that what they did pre-UG is still valid for a PG statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending