The Student Room Group

Is 1 or 2 more A stars a deciding factor for picking one applicant of the other?

I have 9 but Im worried my friends with 10 will have a huge edge over me

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Reply 2
your a-levels matter a lot more
Original post by Mathemagicien
If he's posted this in the University of Oxford section, I think its safe to assume he is asking about applicants for a place at Oxford Uni, not about applying for a job.

Yeh I am
Original post by Handwritingman

In terms of uni applications, I would say GCSEs are more important in getting you interviews or offers and with 9, I imagine your application will still be competitive so don't worry about your friends, results. Performance in interviews, admission tests and A-Levels are more important. Be happy with your score; remember that most people across the country would ecstatic to achieve 9 A*s.
Reply 5
If there is nothing else in your application that's different, yes.

If you have a better admissions test score, interview, or a level results, no.
Original post by DavMax15
In terms of uni applications, I would say GCSEs are more important in getting you interviews or offers and with 9, I imagine your application will still be competitive so don't worry about your friends, results. Performance in interviews, admission tests and A-Levels are more important. Be happy with your score; remember that most people across the country would ecstatic to achieve 9 A*s.

Would it be far less competitive ?
Reply 7
Would it be far less competitive ?

No. People get into Oxford with far worse GCSE's than you might expect. Some have even no A*'s.
Original post by gregy521
If there is nothing else in your application that's different, yes.

If you have a better admissions test score, interview, or a level results, no.

Would it ever come down to GCSE's like that or is it highly unlikely ?
If you have over 6 or 7 A*'s, you've got an extremely competent application for Oxford. Now you've just got to do well in A levels, PS, and interviews ( Or entrance papers if needed). GCSE's are just a starting point.
There's basically no difference between 9 and 10, don't worry.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Thanks,
Sorry guys if it sounds like Im trying to show off its just my brain is super irrational when it comes to things like these
Original post by DavMax15

The statistics for recent years suggest that the average number of A*s at GCSE obtained by offer holders is around 8. But variation around that average is unlikely to make a big difference compared to the other selection criteria - entrance tests, predicted A 2s etc. As someone else pointed out, a few percent of applicants with zero A*s get offers each year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OxFossil
The statistics for recent years suggest that the average number of A*s at GCSE obtained by offer holders is around 8. But variation around that average is unlikely to make a big difference compared to the other selection criteria - entrance tests, predicted A 2s etc. As someone else pointed out, a few percent of applicants with zero A*s get offers

So in terms of GCSE'S Im absolutely fine?
Reply 14
I got 8A*s and 2As at GCSE with the As in Eng Lit and French (5 UMS and 6UMS off an A* respectively), would it be worth getting these papers remarked since I'm considering Oxford for Maths or should I not bother and just focus on AS Levels and STEM papers?
Original post by lajh1001
I got 8A*s and 2As at GCSE with the As in Eng Lit and French (5 UMS and 6UMS off an A* respectively), would it be worth getting these papers remarked since I'm considering Oxford for Maths or should I not bother and just focus on AS Levels and STEM papers?

English Lit is more likely to change,as it is subjective, so I would get it remarked anyway but it shouldn't matter for Maths though. I am 5 UMS off an A* in English Language and I'm getting mine remarked.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Ah ok thanks
When will people understand that these are just bait threads? No one who actually gets 9A*'s is stupid enough to not know the answer to this question.
Original post by lucabrasi98
When will people understand that these are just bait threads? No one who actually gets 9A*'s is stupid enough to not know the answer to this question.

I was just wondering?
Reply 19

WORRY ABOUT YOUR AS!!! They are so much more important! Unless Oxford faced two very similar candidates in terms of AS, Personal Statement, Interview etc, that's when your GCSEs matter!
Having 9A*s is really good (but it might do u no harm in getting the non-A* subjects remarked???). Which course r u thinking of applying though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending