The Student Room Group

GCSE remark stories?

Scroll to see replies

Last year, statistics moved up by one mark and i was just one UMS off an A* in the end (that's half a mark)

French, I gained 3 marks, but still stayed at an A.

English Language, I gained 5 marks and went up to an A*.
That gives me hope. Should I get my worst module remarked (the 41 UMS one) or one of my better ones in hope that I can gain that 3 UMS needed for an A*?
Hi, I did my GCSE Maths & Level 2 Further Maths GCSE this year, in GCSE maths I got an A (169/200), which is 1 off an A*, is it worth a remark for that?? Also in further maths, I got 83 marks which is 3 off an A, is that worth a remark?
In 2015 I did RS short course, 1 mark of A* and they gave me the mark did the exam in may and got the remark in september
Original post by Jitesh
Depends what the B boundary is. Also, what were you expecting/predicted?

I got a B on one Physics paper and it went up quite a few UMS up last year, turning my grade overall to an A* . The school wouldn't pay for it, so I had to pay myself as I knew that paper shouldn't have been as low as a B... went up to a mid A I think! But you get a refund if the grade improves :smile:

The school paid for everyone's Poetry exam to be remarked and mine went up 10UMS, so in the end I ended up being 3 or something UMS off an A* for lit, but it was passed the remark deadline, so I couldn't get the prose one remarked lol

Sorry, I've only just seen this. TSR isn't notifying me these days... The exam officer said that I will drop down to a B if I lose 13 UMS. I don't know if school will pay for mine but either way I'm going to get a remark. I definitely deserved an A*. I got nearly all the questions right I bet. I was predicted an A* and expecting an A*. And wow, that's amazing! Lucky you! I'm hoping for good news like that too
:frown:
Reply 25
My core science GCSE got remarked and went up by 6 marks. Remarks are crazy guys, if you honestly feel that a paper you did should of had a higher mark, don't be afraid to get it remarked. Because going up one grade boundary or even two is obviously rare, but eviedently it's happened loads of times in the past. The issue is that examiners try to mark papers faster than they should. Especially with essay subjects they just skim read through it all which is terrible. A remark is a nice opportunity to have your paper marked slowly and more carefully by a senior examiner.
In my science core exam I have 310 ums mark I need 320 for A I relLy work hard for that A but did not get it do u think I should remark it it maybe 6 raw marks
Original post by Seryv
My core science GCSE got remarked and went up by 6 marks. Remarks are crazy guys, if you honestly feel that a paper you did should of had a higher mark, don't be afraid to get it remarked. Because going up one grade boundary or even two is obviously rare, but eviedently it's happened loads of times in the past. The issue is that examiners try to mark papers faster than they should. Especially with essay subjects they just skim read through it all which is terrible. A remark is a nice opportunity to have your paper marked slowly and more carefully by a senior examiner.

Thanks so much for this. So reassuring to read this because I need 6 raw marks for an A* in Psychology and am now definitely going for a remark!
I received my GCSE results last week. I gained a D in my additional science GCSE. When I contacted the school I was 8 marks off a C grade. School are not keen to put forward for a remark, as they say that this is too many marks away from a C. Has anyone got a remark with so many marks away in science and got a positive grade change?Many thanks
Reply 29
Original post by Odavies11
Hi, I did my GCSE Maths & Level 2 Further Maths GCSE this year, in GCSE maths I got an A (169/200), which is 1 off an A*, is it worth a remark for that?? Also in further maths, I got 83 marks which is 3 off an A, is that worth a remark?

Hi, how did you find out your further maths mark, all I was given was a grade and point score.
Original post by Bruh.. WHY
How is it i got a 0 X for my physics Unit 1, but B's on the other ones????

Sorry for the late reply, but an X is used if you didn't sit the paper/turned up and filled nothing in? Maybe check with your school and the exam board - there might well have been an error?
Reply 31
Original post by Seryv

Which core science paper did u remark? I'm just one mark away from an A* grade and im thinking of remarking physics
If the school does a remark for you when do they tell you about it?
Looks like I might not be able to get a remark. My school have sent out letters to those deemed worthy of a remark, and I haven't received one, even though I was 2 raw marks off of an A* in Literature and have emailed my school multiple times. OCR won't let me request a remark unless it's through the school. *shakes head and then shrugs in acquiescence*
Original post by Starlight2000
If the school does a remark for you when do they tell you about it?

The school can't put in for a remark without you permission as you have to agree that you are aware that the mark can go down.
Original post by moggygeorgieee
Looks like I might not be able to get a remark. My school have sent out letters to those deemed worthy of a remark, and I haven't received one, even though I was 2 raw marks off of an A* in Literature and have emailed my school multiple times. OCR won't let me request a remark unless it's through the school. *shakes head and then shrugs in acquiescence*

You can only do a remark through the school and if they are not willing to submit it you can pay ( £40) which you get back if the mark goes up .
So - I just had my English Lit remark result back. Turns out my Modern Drama has gone up by 18 marks - from a C to an A* - and now my overall grade is an A*! Wow. That's my remark story I can say!
My brother got three subjects remarked last year & got them up to an A*/B. I told him don't make the mistake like not getting mine remarked and his grammar sixth form required 6 B's to get in as well
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bruh.. WHY
How is it i got a 0 X for my physics Unit 1, but B's on the other ones????

Are you sure you showed up :biggrin:? Or did you write some racist **** in the paper. I would contact your school asap.
Original post by moggygeorgieee
Is there anybody who had their paper remarked and dropped one (or more) grade(s)/marks? Tell me what happened! Just considering whether to have a few papers remarked or not..

My old teachers always used to give up scare stories about how the grade is a lot more likely to go down or not change at all! Don't know how true this is though- I never needed a remark at GCSE!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest