The Student Room Group

Another help with options post :^)

Hi guys, thanks for reading. So far, I'm confident with 3 of my A-level options - English Lit, Philosophy & Politics. However after a rush decision (my choice of art history being rejected due to unpopularity) of changing to Law has gotten me rethinking. Law, from what I can tell, is considered too soft off a subject to be taken seriously, plus i just don't think im that interested - surely it will overlap slightly with politics too? I'm considering Physics or Biology, and being graded A* in both I feel they're apt. Moreover they're both facilitating subjects, which my choices so far are pretty dry in those.
I feel I'd enjoy biology far more because I have an interest in botany but I'm so squeamish! :s But I get higher grades in physics. I'm pretty dead set on an arts subject over science for university, and ive spoken about classical studies or possibly liberal arts but I'm open to alot aswell. Would such science-y subjects be a help or a hindrance? Am I just being paranoid and should march on with law?

yikes sorry guys but thanks for the help :smile::smile:
Original post by Link2016
Hi guys, thanks for reading. So far, I'm confident with 3 of my A-level options - English Lit, Philosophy & Politics. However after a rush decision (my choice of art history being rejected due to unpopularity) of changing to Law has gotten me rethinking. Law, from what I can tell, is considered too soft off a subject to be taken seriously, plus I just don't think I'm that interested - surely it will overlap slightly with politics too? I'm considering Physics or Biology, and being graded A* in both I feel they're apt. Moreover they're both facilitating subjects, which my choices so far are pretty dry in those.
I feel I'd enjoy biology far more because I have an interest in botany but I'm so squeamish! But I get higher grades in physics. I'm pretty dead set on an arts subject over science for university, and I've spoken about classical studies or possibly liberal arts but I'm open to a lot as well. Would such science-y subjects be a help or a hindrance? Am I just being paranoid and should march on with law?

Yikes sorry guys but thanks for the help
OK, first of all, A Levels are hard (as you will have been told) and picking them is a serious business.

Law:
Do not abuse law as being 'soft': it certainly isn't a soft degree. It isn't a common A Level so Law would make you stand out. Politics would overlap into Law not the other way around. Also, any law students on here would absolutely murder you (they are professional arguers).

English Literature:
This is a facilitating subject and will complement your other essay-based subjects nicely.

Philosophy:
Again, another more unusual one. This would also make you stand out and help your English (there's quite a bit of philosophy in English Lit; Aristotle, Hegel, Nietzsche, Kant etc.).

Politics:
Of all of your interests outlined above, I would say that this is the 'softest'. It will certainly help with your style of essay writing, but isn't terribly facilitating.

Physics:
A lot of Maths involved here. It may be good for you to get a bit more of a balance between arts and science (using both parts of the brain) if you're an all-rounder. That will be the impression that comes across towards universities.

Biology:
Possibly the most broad subject in your list. An interest in botany may not justify A Level Biology - especially if you're squeamish.

Your interests and Uni choices all point towards History. This would be extremely useful if you do classics at uni. And would significantly overlap with English Literature and Politics (and probably philosophy too but to a lesser extent). Is there a particular reason you're not doing History?
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
OK, first of all, A Levels are hard (as you will have been told) and picking them is a serious business.

Law:
Do not abuse law as being 'soft': it certainly isn't a soft degree. It isn't a common A Level so Law would make you stand out. Politics would overlap into Law not the other way around. Also, any law students on here would absolutely murder you (they are professional arguers).

English Literature:
This is a facilitating subject and will complement your other essay-based subjects nicely.

Philosophy:
Again, another more unusual one. This would also make you stand out and help your English (there's quite a bit of philosophy in English Lit; Aristotle, Hegel, Nietzsche, Kant etc.).

Politics:
Of all of your interests outlined above, I would say that this is the 'softest'. It will certainly help with your style of essay writing, but isn't terribly facilitating.

Physics:
A lot of Maths involved here. It may be good for you to get a bit more of a balance between arts and science (using both parts of the brain) if you're an all-rounder. That will be the impression that comes across towards universities.

Biology:
Possibly the most broad subject in your list. An interest in botany may not justify A Level Biology - especially if you're squeamish.

Your interests and Uni choices all point towards History. This would be extremely useful if you do classics at uni. And would significantly overlap with English Literature and Politics (and probably philosophy too but to a lesser extent). Is there a particular reason you're not doing History?

That was a truly awesome explanation, thank you so much. My issue with history is the content of 'modern' history, i.e. the last centuries. I totally understand why these times were absolutely significant but past what was mandatory in KS3 i don't think im interested enough, nevertheless I'm open to looking deeper and appreciate the suggestion alot! :smile:
Original post by Link2016
That was a truly awesome explanation, thank you so much. My issue with history is the content of 'modern' history, i.e. the last centuries. I totally understand why these times were absolutely significant but past what was mandatory in KS3 I don't think I'm interested enough, nevertheless I'm open to looking deeper and appreciate the suggestion a lot!
I take it you did GCSE History? If so, what were the topics you studied and which ones did you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest