The Student Room Group

Gradient question help!!

Hi , im stuck on this question :
Find the gradient of the lines joining the following pairs of points:
A=(p+3,q-7)
B=(p+5,3-q )
y2-y1/x2-x1
you have your co-ordinates, put it into this equation, you will have your answer :wink:
The Gradient of the line joining 2 points is the change in Y value divided by the change in X value.

To find the change of either value, just take one away from the other. (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

So,

(P+3)-(P+5) = P + 3 - P - 5 = -2. Change in X = -2

(Q-7)-(3-Q) = Q - 7 - 3 + Q = 2Q -10 Change in Y= 2Q-10

Therefore

Gradient = (2Q-10) / (-2)

Becoming

-Q + 10
Original post by Workaholism
(FULL SOLUTION)

That's some nice working out. Can you solve this for me? I need the general solution. Thanks.

4xd2ydx2+2(12x)dydx+y=3x\displaystyle 4x\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+2(1-2\sqrt{x})\frac{dy}{dx}+y=3\sqrt{x} using substitution x=t2x=t^2?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
That's some nice working out. Can you solve this for me? I need the general solution. Thanks.

4xd2ydx2+2(12x)dydx+y=3x\displaystyle 4x\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+2(1-2\sqrt{x})\frac{dy}{dx}+y=3\sqrt{x} using substitution x=t2x=t^2?

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

Huh? Why not?
Huh? Why not?

Well apart from it being against the posting rules, you are also doing the question for the person. Just give them hints like the first reply and let them figure it out on their own.

Original post by B_9710

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 7
Well apart from it being against the posting rules, you are also doing the question for the person. Just give them hints like the first reply and let them figure it out on their own.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by B_9710

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 9

Spoiler

No.
Original post by B_9710
No.

Well damn, if Wolfram Alpha doesn't give me the right answer I don't know what will. :smile:
Reply 11
Alright, enough with the off topic DE's, don't you think?
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Alright, enough with the off topic DE's, don't you think?

They're spoilered so it's fine.
The Gradient of the line joining 2 points is the change in Y value divided by the change in X value.

To find the change of either value, just take one away from the other. (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

So,

(P+3)-(P+5) = P + 3 - P - 5 = -2. Change in X = -2

(Q-7)-(3-Q) = Q - 7 - 3 + Q = 2Q -10 Change in Y= 2Q-10

Therefore

Gradient = (2Q-10) / (-2)

Becoming

-Q + 10

Your final answer should be -Q + 5, as (-10)/(-2) = 5.

Quick Reply

Latest