The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Original post by physicsmaths
Homerton has ensuite for all first years I think.
Does that mean we have more money then trinity?

Homerton may not have as much money as Trinity but they're still ****ing rolling in it.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Colleges_of_the_University_of_Cambridge

Also accommodation gets better as you go to 2nd and 3rd year.
Original post by alow
Homerton may not have as much money as Trinity but they're still ****ing rolling in it.

So is ensuite pretty much guaranteed for 2nd and 3rd (if i want it, which I do).
So is ensuite pretty much guaranteed for 2nd and 3rd (if i want it, which I do).

Original post by alow

Wow, i knew trinity were loaded but over £1 billion in assets is crazy.
Original post by EnglishMuon

St Johns is balling too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Newnham actually have quite a bit of money for a female college...not bad at all...
Reply 3865

Not for 2nd but if you don't get ensuite the rooms are really nice, I was there last year. Although they are renovating a block this year so that may be some more ensuite than there currently is.

3rd years get priority for choosing their rooms, if you pick ensuite you'll definitely be in the nicest accommodation block.
Reply 3866
Original post by Serine Soul
Newnham actually have quite a bit of money for a female college...not bad at all...

Newnham is lovely, and their garden party (which I think is on again this year) is amazing value.

The buildings and gardens are really nice.
Original post by alow

Original post by EnglishMuon

Original post by Serine Soul

http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2016/03/08/trinity-most-well-endowed-college-68256

.........................Harvard............
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3868

Eugh... Rich bastards.

Spoiler

Original post by alow
Newnham is lovely, and their garden party (which I think is on again this year) is amazing value.

The buildings and gardens are really nice.

I've heard Murray Edwards's Garden Party is quite good and good value, too.
Reply 3870
Original post by vincrows
I've heard Murray Edwards's Garden Party is quite good and good value, too.

Yeah I've heard that too, I've only been to Newnham's personally though. £25 with live music, unlimited drinks and food. Definitely a lot better value than the May Balls I've gone to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow
Yeah I've heard that too, I've only been to Newnham's personally though. £25 with live music, unlimited drinks and food. Definitely a lot better value than the May Balls I've gone to.

My daughter went to Mudwards's in her final year. I think she said their ticket price was something like that, too.
She'd already got tickets to go 2 May Balls elsewhere (one of them was for John's, but got that 50/50 bargain one, so wasn't too bad), and added Mudwards's one as a treat to herself for having survived 3 yrs at Cambridge. :biggrin:
Not a huge extra expense and she said it was really good value for money and she really had a good time.
And you can go there with much more casual (= cheaper) clothes, too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It's certainly something the Americans do beat us at.

http://www.thebestschools.org/features/richest-universities-endowments-generosity-research/#
Cambridge 13th
Oxford 19th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know.
The amount of endowments they get from industry is no comparison to what academic institutes get from the industry here. The biggest reason R&D of this country often lags behind other leading industrialized nations.......:frown:

I might've already told you (or someone else in TSR), but a couple of boys I know went to Ivy League unis (one of them gave up an offer from Oxford) and they both got full scholarship that's more than enough to cover all the cost = tuition fees, accommodation, and all other expenses, like food, etc....
The only thing their parents had to dish out was their flight fares.

Also, one of my nieces was a visiting researcher/lecturer at Princeton for a few year, and the pay she got there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above she gets from the university/institute she belongs here in UK.
Original post by vincrows
Yeah, I know.
The amount of endowments they get from industry is no comparison to what academic institutes get from the industry here. The biggest reason R&D of this country often lags behind other leading industrialized nations.......:frown:

I might've already told you (or someone else in TSR), but a couple of boys I know went to Ivy League unis (one of them gave up an offer from Oxford) and they both got full scholarship that's more than enough to cover all the cost = tuition fees, accommodation, and all other expenses, like food, etc....
The only thing their parents had to dish out was their flight fares.

Also, one of my nieces was a visiting researcher/lecturer at Princeton for a few year, and the pay she got there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above she gets from the university/institute she belongs here in UK.

Yeah, financial aid is crazy at some of these universities.
Hi jneill, I know someone interested in applying to natural sciences but won't be doing A-level Chemistry; she's doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computer Science and she's interested in doing only physics. Would a lack of Chemistry hinder her?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3876
Original post by Ayman!
Hi jneill, I know someone interested in applying to natural sciences but won't be doing A-level Chemistry; she's doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computer Science and she's interested in doing only physics. Would a lack of Chemistry hinder her?

Nah, would be fine. They still have plenty of options for 1A.
Original post by Ayman!

Don't the NatSci Tripos make it hard for someone to only do one subject? Or is she planning to study Maths with Physics for the first year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3878
Original post by Mathemagicien
Don't the NatSci Tripos make it hard for someone to only do one subject? Or is she planning to study Maths with Physics for the first year?

Not really, with only Physics + Maths + FM you can do three of Physics, Materials, Earth Sciences, Computer Science.
Original post by alow
Not really, with only Physics + Maths + FM you can do three of Physics, Materials, Earth Sciences, Computer Science.

What about the other way around? What could someone do if they wanted to do only (mainly) Chem in 1A and avoid Physics? (asking for a friend)

Latest

Trending

Trending