The Student Room Group

Should I buy my ex boyfriend a birthday present?

Me and my ex broke up 6 months ago, we are trying to be friends every since (although I do think it's a bad idea and tried to cut contact but he won't allow me to)
He sends me mixed signals . Says he is dating others and is searching elsewhere but we may be together in a few months.
A few weeks ago it was my birthday, he gave me a small gift (a framed quote) and a card. When I opened the card at home, he left £200 for me to buy a gift. I tried to return it but he won't accept it. He also paid for dinner that night.
Since he spent so much on my birthday, I feel obliged to spend some on him. I bought a watch (relatively expensive) for him.
Should I give it to him or return it?
No. You should have nothing to do with your ex boyfriend.
Maybe you can send the £200 back to him as a present lol. It could be a running joke that you both do for the rest of your lives.
Send the 200 back lol
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
No. You should have nothing to do with your ex boyfriend.

But wouldn't I be a bad person if I don't return the gesture?
Take ur money and run
Nobody here knows on what terms you broke up and how you feel about each other, this isn't for random people on the internet to decide, my advice is just: if you want to carry on being friends/chance at a future then yeah get him a gift, it doesn't have to be anything near £200, just something that lets him see you still remember him, if you want to cut contact then do so, you're not a bad person for it if you tried before and he wouldn't let you
Reply 7
Original post by human_13

No, you'd be a woman.
Reply 8
Yeah ofc. :smile:

No, it'd be rude perhaps, but not bad.
Just send him his £200 back, with a small postcard or something.
If you can, try to be friends. Unless you don't care that much for him at all, and are ok with becoming more distant with him.
In that case keep the money, and don't give him anything. It'd probably hurt him a lot, but it'd teach him a lesson to not give free money to ex-girlfriends, or others in general.

If it were me, I'd get him an ordinary present that his other friends are giving him and keep the money for myself though.
He sounds rich. OP hold onto him for dear life, you may never find another rich one like this again
Send the money back its inappropriate if you are exes and you want to move on. Dont buy him a present. he should know better.
Original post by Anonymous
Nobody here knows on what terms you broke up and how you feel about each other, this isn't for random people on the internet to decide, my advice is just: if you want to carry on being friends/chance at a future then yeah get him a gift, it doesn't have to be anything near £200, just something that lets him see you still remember him, if you want to cut contact then do so, you're not a bad person for it if you tried before and he wouldn't let you

This.

Only one person can answer this dilemma, and that person is you. Not random strangers on the Internet.
You could ask your friends/family for advice as they have a much better understanding of the arrangement with your ex than we do
Me and my ex broke up 6 months ago, we are trying to be friends every since (although I do think it's a bad idea and tried to cut contact but he won't allow me to)
He sends me mixed signals . Says he is dating others and is searching elsewhere but we may be together in a few months.
A few weeks ago it was my birthday, he gave me a small gift (a framed quote) and a card. When I opened the card at home, he left £200 for me to buy a gift. I tried to return it but he won't accept it. He also paid for dinner that night.
Since he spent so much on my birthday, I feel obliged to spend some on him. I bought a watch (relatively expensive) for him.

Get him a really red apple

He'll get confused!
this all sounds weird... he isn't letting you cut contact? you can easily block his number and not talk to him? and he broke up with you then gave you TWO HUNDRED POUNDS CASH? you two need to have a proper talk because it sounds like neither of you are moving on and you need to decide what you want, right now he is just messing you around (he's dating other people but you might get back together?) - you need to either be together or not be together and if he doesn't want to commit don't get him a gift, certainly not an expensive one

Personally I think it is impossible to be friends with an ex least straight away, plus it is not fair he is sending you these signals. I think you are best of sending the money back and cutting all contact completely, by the sounds of it, he wants to play around but keep you as an option in case it don't work out.
Does even being friends with an ex work? It sounds like you've been twisted into being friends when you feel it's a bad idea.

I've never managed to be friends with an ex and tbh it sounds like it won't work. I know it's frank and I don't know how you two split up with each other or what you were like as a couple but it sounds to me like he's stringing your feelings along, giving you some hope that things "might work in the forseeable future" when he's already dating other people.

That's not a friend. That's an ex partner giving you some uncertain hope and keeping h in control.*

In terms of the birthday present, you shouldn't feel obliged to get him anything if you don't want to.*
if we hear the full story of your breakup and how you two feel/felt about eachother we would have a better idea in helping you out

Latest

Trending

Trending