The Student Room Group

Is 20 hours too many hours to work?

Is 20 hours too many hours to work for a student?

Thank you

For a university student (first year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
During university, yes.

During holidays, no

I would say do 8-12 hours during term time and 20-40 hours during holidays (if you need the money).
Original post by momoneyme89
During university, yes.

During holidays, no

I would say do 8-12 hours during term time and 20-40 hours during holidays (if you need the money).

Ooh okay
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on a 20 hour contract and i manage perfectly fine during uni time. It's all about time balance ad making sure you get everything done
I was doing 28 hours and was fine. It totally just depends what you want to prioritise. I really needed the money so had to sacrifice a lot of days and nights out
Original post by Bloom77

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

depends on the subject and your timetable. if it is a straightforward subject which doesnt require much attendance in lectures, then 20 hours is ok. just make sure you have a good balance in work and life, especially in uni, else youll burn yourself out
i did 30 hours and went down to 28 during 2nd year, i didnt manage to get a job in first year but i wished i had as your grades dont count anyway (as long as you pass) and i could have easily coped as i got 1sts and 2.1s in second year which was a lot harder than 1st year. 20 hours would be absolutely fine itll let you have a bit of social time inbetween work and uni
I'm currently at uni and do between 24-28 hours per week during term time then basically do full time hours in the holidays, so 20 hours is doable. But then saying that it would depend on your uni timetable and whether or not you'd be able to cope with 20 hours a week :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like others have said, as long as you keep up to date with work etc, and are organised, then you will be fine.
You could always ask to drop your hours a bit during exams if need be.
Reply 9
It depends on how well you manage your time and how full on your course is. 20 hours is fine if you can personally manage it with no problems and don't make your studies suffer because of it and have enough time to relax for a bit. Generally it's recommended not to go over 16 hours. Best to do 8-12 hours to see how well you can manage it and increase them later if you can deal with the load.
Thanks guys !
Will take the advice and experience into consideration :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending