The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Lambs are so fluffy too. Horrible way to go..

*Vegetarian :tongue: And yes I'd rather starve and eat vegemite (which I hate) than eat beef because cows are sacred and I'm against meat consumption anyway. But it's irritating that you get militant veggies who make meat eaters feel guilty about eating meat. I went out with an vegan mate a while back and I ordered a veggie burger with mayo. She kept telling me that milk was murder. I can't tell you how annoying it was.

Yeah but honestly, she isn't wrong. :redface:
Original post by Napp
So because you don't like the reality you'll cut off your nose to spite your face? The cows have already been bred to produce more milk and are and will continue to be treatedas such. Throwing a tantrum over it will hardly help.

It's not a tantrum

Original post by Tabstercat
Is an insect's life as valuable as a human?

I don't think life is innately valuable, speciesism is definitely the solution to the ethical dilemma of eating meat.

I don't kill insects because I consider their lives valuable.

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Tea and coffee are not vegan?

With milk.
Original post by Unistudent77
If the substitute food was also nice to eat then yes.

If not, then i'd probably eat less meat.
I'm envisaging a Whey protein shakes type scenario but scaled up to 'real food'. Vegans wouldn't like that though.

I love milk, like 2 pints+ a day. Frequently more but as an average or even minimum, i'd say 2 pints.
Just love the taste of whole milk. So i'd never be vegan as i really like the taste of milk so replacing a substiture for me would be almost impossible.

As much as you pose and interesting question to me, i don't really like to deal in hypotheticals/fantasyland.

I'd rather we use science to fight disease and look for cures etc.

Creating a proper meat substitute is miles away.

Nobody can look at situation without bias, particularly if one is in one camp or another.
I am biased but i try to be as neutral as possible

I don't think food substitutes are that far off. We've had Quorn for ages and, with time, I expect more advancement. Protein isn't the issue I was thinking about in terms of nutrition. As someone who eats loads of protein, I know I would be able to get that without meat. It's about the micronutrients and the financial cost.

Oh yeah, I don't see free range milk as an issue.

My hypothetical wasn't really far-fetched and, due to the contents of your original argument, I thought it was worthwhile to find out if you would still eat meat if there was little reason to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean about finding cures etc.

I wasn't accusing you of bias, I was talking about some of the immature idiots who have posted. I think you can look at the issue without bias. I don't care who 'wins' this debate, I just want to know the strongest arguments.

Edit: Hopefully lab-grown meat properly takes off and this argument becomes meaningless, lol!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tabstercat
Is an insect's life as valuable as a human?

I don't think life is innately valuable, speciesism is definitely the solution to the ethical dilemma of eating meat.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
No. I don't place the same value on an animal's life as I do on a human's life, due to moral agency and personhood. That's the line I draw.

There's the argument to be made that this is speciesist. But those who make the speciesist argument don't tend to place the same value on the life of fish, or insects, or bacteria, that they do on the lives of farm animals. So that's not internally consistent from the get-go.

"All the arguments to prove man's superiority cannot shatter this hard fact: in suffering the animals are our equals." ( P.Singer).

What you are describing is speciest, and you're argument against it doesn't really work. If you can prove to me that insects or bacteria have a consciousness, have the capacity to feel fear, pain and suffering then fair enough, but you won't be able to.

Animals feel fear, pain and suffering on a similar level that we do, there's no doubt about that.

EDIT:

Yeah. It does. If I kill an animal in a way that it inflicts excess suffering, that's immoral. If I quickly kill an animal in a painless, minimally distressing way, that's different.

Nope, murder is categorically immoral. There is no way to kill someone or something morally. There is no humane way to take a life. If you can accept that then it's fair game. However please don't try and trick yourself into thinking that just because it's a quick and painless death means it's ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moira O' Hara1
Yes but what I mean is that they aren't intelligable creatures, they can't feel pain so if you compare a fish to a pig- which one is most likely to suffer? Obviously a pig- which are highly intelligable animals. Don't you think the ways on-land animals are raised and then killed, are much more extreme. Wow, you're comparing a fish- which cannot recognise pain- against animals like pigs which are highly intelligable creatures and are more likely to sense that they are going to die..well done you!

If you checked the Rainforest Alliance website then you would notice that they have ethical values...so which is better:
MacDonalds who say they care about the environment but are continuing to cut down the rainforest to make way for cattle farming or..
Rainforest Alliance who not only help their farmers to understand about climate change but also:
-support farmers and communities (alot better than MacDonalds minimum wage)
-protect land and waterways
-improve incomes

Now here are the benefits of becoming a vegetarian- this relates to health:
-Low Blood Pressure
-Lower Risk of Death -"a 2013 study of more than 70,000 people found that vegetarians had a 12% lower risk of death compared with non-vegetarians".
-Better Moods
-Less chance of heart disease - Another 2013 study of 44,000 people reported that vegetarians were 32% less likely to develop ischemic heart disease.
-Less likely to be overweight -Research shows that vegetarians tend to be leaner than their meat-eating counterparts, and that they also tend to have lower cholesterol and body mass index (BMI). Some data suggests that a vegetarian diet can help with weight loss and be better for maintaining a healthy weight over time.
-Lower risk of diabetes.

Fish can feel pain. Fish have nociception and free nerve endings so research hints that they can feel pain. Current studies show that fish do have some pain sensation.

I'm very aware of McDonalds actions in rainforest regions. Any major corporation has a significant effect on indigenous populations, local environment etc. Its not just "meat eaters" who are causing this damage, everyone in the western world is through their diet.

Quinoa which is now become a staple in many vegans diets is pushing up the price so Bolivians can no longer afford their major food source. You're not telling me that this example isn't having environmental effects through transportation? And most likely deforestation.

Can you give me a source for that information please? I find the "better mood" one a bit dubious as its impossible to judge. Yes I do agree that eating meat has been linked with heart disease, some form of cancers etc but again these are also linked to a sedentary lifestyle.
I personally believe that meat can be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle, I only eat meat once or twice a week when I'm at uni and would say I'm healthier than a lot of vegans/vegetarians I know who do little exercise or to quote one I know "I've had my 5 a day because I've eaten 5 grapes" That wasn't even a joke that person thought that was real and live off supernoodles and chips. You can find bad examples of everyone and everything.
If we aren't suppose to eat animals, why are they made out of meat? 1-0 vegetableists
[QUOTE=MrsSheldonCooper;67262422]Lambs are so fluffy too. Horrible way to go..

*Vegetarian :tongue: And yes I'd rather starve and eat vegemite (which I hate) than eat beef because cows are sacred and I'm against meat consumption anyway. But it's irritating that you get militant veggies who make meat eaters feel guilty about eating meat. I went out with an vegan mate a while back and I ordered a veggie burger with mayo. She kept telling me that milk was murder. I can't tell you how annoying it was.

Fair enough, you're free to do what you want to :smile:

Sounds incredibly annoying, i'd probably not be friends with some like that

[QUOTE=TheonlyMrsHolmes;67262482]Yeah but honestly, she isn't wrong. :redface:

She is.

[QUOTE=TheonlyMrsHolmes;67262542]
I don't kill insects because I consider their lives valuable.

You've never killed an insect?

[QUOTE=dairychocolate;67263082]I don't think food substitutes are that far off. We've had Quorn for ages and, with time, I expect more advancement. Protein isn't the issue I was thinking about in terms of nutrition. As someone who eats loads of protein, I know I would be able to get that without meat. It's about the micronutrients and the financial cost.

Oh yeah, I don't see free range milk as an issue.

My hypothetical wasn't really far-fetched and, due to the contents of your original argument, I thought it was worthwhile to find out if you would still eat meat if there was little reason to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean about finding cures etc.

I wasn't accusing you of bias, I was talking about some of the immature idiots who have posted. I think you can look at the issue without bias. I don't care who 'wins' this debate, I just want to know the strongest arguments.

Edit: Hopefully lab-grown meat properly takes off and this argument becomes meaningless, lol!

I'm not sure you can replace meat yet, when talking about protein.

Chicken is a major one you'd lose.
Fish is lost.
Ok, Quorn can replace some stuff but you'd be heavily reliant on whey.

Financial cost, more effort needed to hit macro and micro nutrient targets, less variety to eat and i'd lose the taste of meat. I enjoy eating meat.

If there was no reason to and it wasn't so ingrained then yes, i'd certainly reduce my intake. Idk about totally stop.

V hypothetical though for reasons already outlined.

I meant, sciences focus should be on fighting major diseases etc not on developing this vegetarian alternative to meat.

We are miles away from replacing meat.
You can live without it but that isn't the ideal situation.

Fair enough. I think some of the criticism of the meat industry is valid but i like meat and do not view it as morally wrong to eat it
Original post by nexttime
I honestly think that in 100 years we'll look back on meat-eaters the same way we look back on slave-owners now. It's a subject that completely doesn't resolve morally if you think that causing suffering is bad. And y'know, most people do.

You are brainwashed, unfortunately.

We didn't breed humans with the sole intention of enslaving them (some will claim it did happen but it is not comparable to the meat industry in that sense).

Are you trying to imply that breeding animals for the sole intention of enslaving and murdering them is morally acceptable? Cause that is sure what it sounds like. Surely you can see how absurd that is.
[QUOTE=0range;67267204]Are you trying to imply that breeding animals for the sole intention of enslaving and murdering them is morally acceptable? Cause that is sure what it sounds like. Surely you can see how absurd that is.

No. I'm saying why the meat industry =/ slavery.

Animals are not 'enslaved'.
I'm slowly trying to become vegetarian but will never go vegan because I'm a very picky eater and dislike a lot of things that vegans eat.

But if someone wants to eat meat, why do you people try to make them feel bad? I mean many of you if not all have eaten meat since you were babies and suddenly you've realised that you are doing wrong, well it's a bit late, don't you think?
No. I'm saying why the meat industry =/ slavery.

Animals are not 'enslaved'.

Or murdered. Since they're not people.
Or murdered. Since they're not people.

Hahahahha that is amazing! Are you actually saying animals are not murdered for that chicken burger or steak that you desire??
That's by far the stupidest thing that's been said on this thread, and there have been a lot of stupid things said...
Please think through what you're actually saying before you post.
Original post by 0range
Hahahahha that is amazing! Are you actually saying animals are not murdered for that chicken burger or steak that you desire??
That's by far the stupidest thing that's been said on this thread, and there have been a lot of stupid things said...
Please think through what you're actually saying before you post.

murder
ˈməːdə/Submit
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

I can bold the relevant bit of it if you'd like.
I eat meat but I'm fairly open to change. I am, however, interested to know how vegans feel about people who do eat meat to survive? People in rural areas for example, like the Inuits, who survive off meat, due to their barron and infurtile surroundings? Or people who choose to kill their own meat? Should they accept that there are alternatives in this day and age, or is it acceptible because of their methods of killing and their circumstances. I'm not biased either way, just genuinely curious to see where Vegans and Vegetarians stand on the matter.
Well just realised that I've been using the term murder incorrectly, nevertheless they are still being killed needlessly. .
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is definitely NOT a UK slaughterhouse, and most of the slaughterhouses in these PETA-style videos will not be UK slaughterhouses, because we have very strict rules which are actively enforced and arguably among the most humane globally. For example, the animals in this video can see each other being stunned and killed - this is illegal in the UK. The animals are waiting considerable periods of time between stunning and killing - this is illegal in the UK. The animals are hoisted before being stunned - this is illegal in the UK. These videos only show the worst, I wholeheartedly believe it is possible to eat meat and have it come from humane sources.
It's not an arbitrary definition, it's a legal one.
(edited 2 years ago)
You clearly do know how people can eat meat, given that by your own admission you ate meat not so long ago.
Original post by elen90

I completely respect vegetarians but I don't like those who try to get some moral high ground out of it - i.e. those who think less of me for eating meat-based meals.

I don't think having your feelings hurt are really that important in this discussion. Own your decision to eat meat. You have already said how you are not proud of yourself for it.

Original post by IWMTom
We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.

We are omnivores.

We have also evolved to rape. So rape is a fine way to pass on your genes?

Appeal to nature fallacy.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest