The Student Room Group

How to begin preparation for the MAT?

Hello,

I was wondering what the best way to go about starting preparation for the MAT? I will be wanting to apply to Imperial for Maths and Statistics, which obviously requires the MAT.

Thanks a bunch! :smile:
Reply 1
Just dive in, really. Start with some of the older past papers, do questions. Refuse to look at the solutions for days. Try different approaches even if you get the question right, see if there's a faster way, etc...
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Just dive in, really. Start with some of the older past papers, do questions. Refuse to look at the solutions for days. Try different approaches even if you get the question right, see if there's a faster way, etc...

Do ya know where the older past papers can be found? On the Oxford/Imperial website there's only the more recent papers!

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by iMacJack
Do ya know where the older past papers can be found? On the Oxford/Imperial website there's only the more recent papers!

Thanks!

Start with the oldest one on the website. There's a MAT prep thread on TSR that'll link you to the even older papers but i cba looking it up rn. I'd still advise doing the oldest of the most recent lot. So starting from 2006/7 sounds optimal. Then goging back to the older ones once you've done up till 2011/12.
Original post by Zacken
Start with the oldest one on the website. There's a MAT prep thread on TSR that'll link you to the even older papers but i cba looking it up rn. I'd still advise doing the oldest of the most recent lot. So starting from 2006/7 sounds optimal. Then goging back to the older ones once you've done up till 2011/12.

There are some older ones at http://mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm.
Also the missing ones which aren't on there (1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005) can be found at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4244864, as I managed to obtain them via a Freedom of Information Act request.

Quick Reply

Latest