The Student Room Group

is maths a level needed to study physics a level

thinking of not doing maths but taking three science and economics, would this work to get the top grades or would maths be necessary???
Reply 1
Original post by georgefraser99
thinking of not doing maths but taking three science and economics, would this work to get the top grades or would maths be necessary???

The answer to your thread title is no under old spec
Reply 2
no

Consider that to study physics any further you'll need maths and to study economics any further you'll need maths and to study chemistry any further then maths is preferred (sometimes required), etc.
Original post by IYGB
no

thanks

Maths isn't needed for physics at A-level. However, maths IS required for physics, chemistry and economics at university. So if you want to study any of those subjects you'll definitely need maths.
Original post by Callum323
Maths isn't needed for physics at A-level. However, maths IS required for physics, chemistry and economics at university. So if you want to study any of those subjects you'll definitely need maths.

thanks- would maths be required to study something like biochemistry at uni??
I've been having the same problem, wanting to do chemistry, physics and geography as I am only allowed to do 3 A-levels.I was told that it is possible to do physics without maths but its hard. I've also been told that maths is a complementary subject to physics because half the stuff in physics, you actually learn in maths such as mechanics. Hope this helps :smile:

Chemistry, sometimes. Biology, not usually. In both instances, universities recommend it.

Note that economics isn't needed at a level to study it at uni. Just maths.
It's not a necessity, but mechanics modules of maths go hand in hand with quite a lot of topics from physics. Therefore, if you didn't quite understand everything from one lesson of physics that topic might end up appearing later on in the year in mechanics.
Original post by Athematica
Consider that to study physics any further you'll need maths and to study economics any further you'll need maths and to study chemistry any further then maths is preferred (sometimes required), etc.

thanks

That's actually what I'm going to study in October! No, maths isn't required for any case, but chemistry, and most often times, biology, are required.
Original post by Georgie189083
I've been having the same problem, wanting to do chemistry, physics and geography as I am only allowed to do 3 A-levels.I was told that it is possible to do physics without maths but its hard. I've also been told that maths is a complementary subject to physics because half the stuff in physics, you actually learn in maths such as mechanics. Hope this helps :smile:

yes it does help. the course that our school takes has mechanics in the second year of the a level and therefore i would be unlikely to even get to that stage as the plan would be to drop maths at AS, tricky situation..
Yeah you could do that unless your school/college has rule against it... but check the entry requirements of uni courses you're interested in... you'll need maths for physics and engineering.
Original post by Callum323
That's actually what I'm going to study in October! No, maths isn't required for any case, but chemistry, and most often times, biology, are required.

yes would fit into my plan then of 3 science and economics and if physics is to hard drop at AS?
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah you could do that unless your school/college has rule against it... but check the entry requirements of uni courses you're interested in... you'll need maths for physics and engineering.

looking to do more biology and them based degree
Reply 16

I didn't take maths because I needed to take Biology and Chemistry so thought I would struggle. Out of about 25 students only 3 of us didn't take Maths with Mechanics.
In terms of being good at Physics is doesn't matter whether or not you take Maths. It was only really the understanding derivations of equations that I think was impacted by not studying Maths AS - everything else really depends on your aptitude for Physics itself and the interest in the subject!
I got an A so am super happy! However, if you are deciding between maths and economics I would take maths.
yes would fit into my plan then of 3 science and economics and if physics is to hard drop at AS?

Sounds like a good plan. I dropped physics at AS too since it was my worst subject.

Quick Reply

Latest