The Student Room Group

£100000 is only £65000 after taxes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I know right?! It's shocking it's so low!!!! They should only be getting about £5k not £65k!!'
Original post by Aph
I know right?! It's shocking it's so low!!!! They should only be getting about £5k not £65k!!'

Yeah, let's not have doctors - I mean who wants to spend all that time/money training when you will take home £5k, and could earn the same doing an office job for a lot less effort.
Reply 262
Original post by Iridocyclitis
Yeah, let's not have doctors - I mean who wants to spend all that time/money training when you will take home £5k, and could earn the same doing an office job for a lot less effort.
i think you'll find most people don't become doctors for the money...
Original post by Aph

I disagree. Maybe not "hm what job could I make the most money from", but they definitely choose the profession knowing full well that it is paid quite a bit above average. Take that away and I am sure suddenly would-be doctors might find other jobs.
Reply 264
Original post by inhuman
I disagree. Maybe not "hm what job could I make the most money from", but they definitely choose the profession knowing full well that it is paid quite a bit above average. Take that away and I am sure suddenly would-be doctors might find other jobs.

I think you are rather cynical if you don't think they do it to help people...
Original post by inhuman

Right, but for most people who have the capacity to become doctors the average salary is not a meaningful benchmark.
Original post by Aph

Plenty of easier jobs to "help people"...
Original post by Aph

helping people and wanting to make above average income are not mutually exclusive things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Right, but for most people who have the capacity to become doctors the average salary is not a meaningful benchmark.

That's my point.
Original post by inhuman

Doctors don't earn all that much in this country if you take into consideration the number of hours and the effort of becoming qualified. That said, those who do qualify are almost guaranteed a secure job - which is more than can be said for a lot of people.
Original post by RayApparently
Doctors don't earn all that much in this country if you take into consideration the number of hours and the effort of becoming qualified. That said, those who do qualify are almost guaranteed a secure job - which is more than can be said for a lot of people.

Well. Those that manage a private gig do earn very much.

But that was not the point. It was more, I want to help people but hey look at all the training, look at the crazy hours and night shifts. Now let them have a lower salary - do you think they would still do it? Feel they are acknowledged properly for their hard work and help?
Reply 271
Original post by inhuman

But that was not the point. It was more, I want to help people but hey look at all the training, look at the crazy hours and night shifts. Now let them have a lower salary - do you think they would still do it? Feel they are acknowledged properly for their hard work and help?

Yeah they would. Because for most people it isn't about the money but helping people, or to look good...
Original post by inhuman

In the UK, most work in the NHS. My point is that it would be odd to say that the money's a major incentive. Those with the skills to become doctors could apply their aptitude to become much more personally wealthy if they wanted to. It's already a miserable gig - hence the recent strikes.
What's wrong with having 65,000? Completely fair, how would the country even function without taxes?
Original post by Aph

But a lot wouldn't go through the stress of the training, education, long hours, etc. if they earn the same as someone who works 9-5 doing an easy, entry-level office job... or they would simply move abroad. If doctors are only into the "helping people" factor and not wanting some reward for the training/education/time they've put in, why don't they all work in the charity sector? Why do a lot of post-qualification doctors earn usually close to £100k at the moment if they are all into the "helping people" factor; surely the average doctor's salary would be a lot lower if helping people was their top consideration and salary was unimportant in light of that?

Basically, if your argument was at all serious - then you would be in for a country where doctors either wouldn't join the profession or would move abroad.
(edited 7 years ago)
I mean if you want to complain about paying too much taxes, go live in America and see what a shithole it is without the NHS and an infrastructure, that's worth keeping a bit more money for?
Original post by RayApparently
In the UK, most work in the NHS. My point is that it would be odd to say that the money's a major incentive. Those with the skills to become doctors could apply their aptitude to become much more personally wealthy if they wanted to. It's already a miserable gig - hence the recent strikes.

Are you seriously defending the argument that we would attract people to becoming doctors (including the cost/time/stress involved in education and qualifying) if they took home net £5,000 from £100,000 gross? They would either move abroad or go into a less stressful job for the same money.
Yeah complete joke. Penalises people who are successful and work hard.
Lol at the whiners. Feel free to move to libertarian paradise Somalia.
Original post by inhuman
The NHS is a massive state run health insurer.

The key word is 'state-run'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending