The Student Room Group

tips for M1 MATHS A2

Physics isnt my strong point, please give me tips on how to succeed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geography1294

Neither is mine. I got a C in physics at GCSE and don't even want to glance at it at A-Level.

Just keep practicing questions and it should start making sense by the time exams come. Atleast that's how it was for me, got a nice 93 UMS somehow.
Original post by RDKGames
Neither is mine. I got a C in physics at GCSE and don't even want to glance at it at A-Level.

Just keep practicing questions and it should start making sense by the time exams come. Atleast that's how it was for me, got a nice 93 UMS somehow.

Apart from the textbook and past papers what other questions did you use to practice
Apart from the textbook and past papers what other questions did you use to practice

Just textbook and past papers.

I don't understand what's with everyone asking for different material to practice off. A textbook and past papers are enough.

I don't understand what's with everyone asking for different material to practice off. A textbook and past papers are enough.

Silly qs, how did you revise for your a2 modules? Plus is m1 really as hard as people say
Silly qs, how did you revise for your a2 modules? Plus is m1 really as hard as people say

How did I revise for A2 modules? Well, I used textbooks and past papers. :smile:

M1 is easy after you spend time understanding it. And this is coming from someone who took months to fully understand it lol. Just focus topic by topic rather than M1 collectively then you'll be fine with it.
Reply 6
Great part of M1 is you can just make up questions, our teacher done this for starting the topic to show the concept and then used the harder past paper questions for revision. If you can do the hardest problem for each topic (normally a ~15marker) then you could probably do every other question on that topic, I'd advise you to find those questions and learn to do them, do them multiple times until the method is second nature and you can apply it to other similar questions.
[QUOTE="RDKGames;67271540"]How did I revise for A2 modules? Well, I used textbooks and past papers. :smile:

M1 is easy after you spend time understanding it. And this is coming from someone who took months to fully understand it lol. Just focus topic by topic rather than M1 collectively then you'll be fine with it.[/QUOTE
I do have resit modules along with my a2 though...
Original post by JN17
Great part of M1 is you can just make up questions, our teacher done this for starting the topic to show the concept and then used the harder past paper questions for revision. If you can do the hardest problem for each topic (normally a ~15marker) then you could probably do every other question on that topic, I'd advise you to find those questions and learn to do them, do them multiple times until the method is second nature and you can apply it to other similar questions.

are the questions repetitive?

I do have resit modules along with my a2 though...

I resat 3 modules at A2 as well in addition to my 7 A2 exams. Just keep practicing really.
I resat 3 modules at A2 as well in addition to my 7 A2 exams. Just keep practicing really.

Was it stressful for you? How did C1& c2 seem after doing c3 and c4
Reply 11

I second this.
Original post by AAls
I second this.

I was going to use solomon worksheets too..
Depends on your work style. Personally i do all the exercises (except for the mixed exercise) do the topic past paper. Once i finish every chapter i start on the past papers. But Exam Solutions is a really helpful website, take a look examsolutions.net also some Khan Academy tutorials are helpful.
The trick with any mechanics module, is to draw accurate diagrams
Was it stressful for you? How did C1& c2 seem after doing c3 and c4

Not really stressful because I didn't have exams for other subjects. And they seemed simple. Jeez, you ask so many straight forward questions. :smile:

Biggest tip overall = Practice.
Best tip in Mechanics = Draw a clear labelled + detailed diagram and you can't go wrong. :smile:

Once you've seen every single type of question in most examples you can work through majority of the scenarios in exam papers. IF for however during the exam you get thrown off by a question, try think logically what would happen if you apply a force in a certain direction i.e try pressing on the table etc. :wink:

^ Worked for me during my exam in May. :laugh:
Reply 17
are the questions repetitive?

Very, I forget what topics are m1 or m2 but most statics questions are similar, projectiles, I think the M2 2016 paper was quite 'different' to others but still doable, as I said once you've done the hardest question for a topic the rest are all the same/easier.
Reply 18
I was going to use solomon worksheets too..

Solomon papers aren't needed at all...

If you want to challenge yourself after doing all the past papers and textbook questions you could do the I.Y.G.B papers.
Original post by AAls
Solomon papers aren't needed at all...

If you want to challenge yourself after doing all the past papers and textbook questions you could do the I.Y.G.B papers.

Defo going to do that for c3,c4

Quick Reply

Latest