The Student Room Group

Planning and Real Estate Defree at UCL

Can you still get into investment banking or consultancy with a degree in Planning and Real Estate at UCL?
I am considering this degree as I possess a great interest in the built environment however desire to work at an invesment bank or a consultancy firm in the future (e.g. JP Morgan or Mckinsey).
Sorry for the mistake in the title - *Degree
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aj122
Can you still get into investment banking or consultancy with a degree in Planning and Real Estate at UCL?
I am considering this degree as I possess a great interest in the built environment however desire to work at an invesment bank or a consultancy firm in the future (e.g. JP Morgan or Mckinsey).
Sorry for the mistake in the title - *Degree

yes. there are real estate coverage groups in investment banking, which would be a decent fit if that's what you're interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
yes. there are real estate coverage groups in investment banking, which would be a decent fit if that's what you're interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply mate. Then the knowledge gained from the degree would at least be somewhat tranferable if based in a real estate coverage group.
Reply 3
Original post by aj122
Thanks for the reply mate. Then the knowledge gained from the degree would at least be somewhat tranferable if based in a real estate coverage group.

According to university league tables I have concluded that the University of Reading offers the highest quality teaching in regards to real estate. However, would studying at Reading reduce my chances of getting into IB or consultancy? Or should I compromise and go for UCL, whose course may not be of the same calibre as that of Reading, due to its international reputation and it being a target uni?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by aj122
According to university league tables I have concluded that the University of Reading offers the highest quality teaching in regards to real estate. However, would studying at Reading reduce my chances of getting into IB or consultancy? Or should I compromise and go for UCL, whose course may not be of the same calibre as that of Reading, due to its international reputation and it being a target uni?

UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aj122

Reading offer a named degree in 'Real Estate Investment and Finance' which is specifically targeted at your area of interest. People sometimes join our 3+1 planning programme and transfer (in second year) to the invest/finance prog.

There's some discussion about the UCL/Reading choice here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65590023&highlight=

....and there's some info on employment prospects from our Invest/Finance Pathway Director in this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3365419&page=3&p=62808971#post62808971

Joe Doak,
Admissions Tutor for Real Estate & Planning,
University of Reading
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by klsdoakj
Reading offer a named degree in 'Real Estate Investment and Finance' which is specifically targeted at your area of interest. People sometimes join our 3+1 planning programme and transfer (in second year) to the invest/finance prog.

There's some discussion about the UCL/Reading choice here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65590023&highlight=

Joe Doak,
Admissions Tutor for Real Estate & Planning,
University of Reading

Thank you for your insightful input.
I will be sure to look at the degree course that the University of Reading offers.
is it offered by the Henley business school? I hear they're indeed quite good
Original post by gr8wizard10
is it offered by the Henley business school? I hear they're indeed quite good

Yes, it is one of the 25+ UG programmes offered by the Business School. We have a small block of three UG programmes in the Real Estate sector: BSc Real Estate; BSc Investment & Finance in Property; and BSc Real Estate with MSc/Dip in Urban Planning and Development....and we do our best to stay ahead of the competition!
Joe

Quick Reply