The Student Room Group

Are my parents right?

The other day I enrolled into sixth forms and colleges.

All throughout the year, I always wanted to do Maths and Physics, I wasn't sure of the other two subjects, my parents kept on suggesting I pick Biology and Chemistry, but I don't have any interest in those subjects. On top of that, I don't want to push my self into doing all three sciences and maths which I feel would be very difficult for me.

My parents keep telling me that my A levels are my decision and that they can't force me to do anything, yet all throughout the year they kept trying to coerce me into studying Chemistry. Whenever I accuse them of pressuring me to pick it, they just keep telling me that they're only suggesting it to me because it'll keep my options open when I go to university. They keep telling me that by not picking chemistry, I'm shutting off a lot of avenues when I go to university such as medicine and pharmacy. I tell them that I have no interest in chemistry or those degrees but they just keep telling me that I'll change my mind eventually. I've repeated this kind of conversation with my parents countless times, they always bring it up.

Whenever I ask my parents why they're so insistent on me studying Chemistry and Biology, they constantly tell me that it'll keep my options open, what I think they really mean by that is that I should become a doctor, but they always deny this even though my mum has always told me that I would be a good doctor and I should study medicine. I also found out recently from my sister, that my mum asked my sister to try and convince me to study Biology and Chemistry, but my sister didn't because she believed I should pick what I want.

I also have two brothers, one of them has already graduated from uni in Law, he told me to ignore my parents and just pick what I want. He claims that with Maths and physics( the subjects I want to study) I'll have plenty of avenues at uni. Also he said to me "don't make your life difficult and just do what you want." The other brother advises me to study chemistry because it's a strong A level, unlike my parents he's not trying to force me to become a doctor or anything, he simply says that whatever I do, chemistry will be a good compliment to it because of it's value as an A level.

So on enrollment day, I went in and picked what I wanted. Maths, physics, Computer science and History. I picked what I wanted, but now because of my parents and brother there's a doubt in my mind and I feel as if I'm making a mistake. I only picked the subjects I wanted to do, not necessarily the ones I feel that I need to do. I have an idea of studying some kind of engineering like electrical or mechanical in the future, hence why I picked Physics and maths, but my other two subjects were mostly because I enjoyed them. Should I just listen to my oldest brother who told me to continue with what I'm doing? Or are my other brother and parents right in that not picking Chemistry would be a detriment to me in the future?
Continue with what your doing. Do what you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took maths, further maths, physics and german in year 12 - I would have loved to take computer science but my school didn't offer it! So, I also had three "sciencey" subjects which complimented each other well, and a contrast one - I'm glad I had that contrast, because it made school a lot more interesting for me. Not having chemistry or biology didn't shut off any paths for me - think of all that you can do with maths, physics, computer science + history (maths, physics, statistics, computer science, natural sciences, engineering, law (as you have history as well), etc). I genuinely think you've got a great subject combination.
Reply 3
Your brother was right in that you should ignore your parents and pick what you want. Maths and Physics were good choices, Computer Science is a it iffy but not the end of the world. History is a bit out of place there, especially with your tentative career choice. I'd advise rethinking that and maybe doing Further Maths instead. A subject you might want to replace Comp Sci with is Econ, that combination could be something you enjoy since Econ will prove you with the kind of essay writing and analytical skills that you enjoy from History and open up a few doors in terms of degree choices and then the age old M, FM, Physics will open up a huge array of things related to engineering that you might wish to do in the future. It'll allow you to apply to top uni's for engineering.

Alternatively, if I may - you may wish to replace Comp Sci with another science. Comp Sci by itself isn't a very common subject and in all honesty, doesn't teach much. If you like programming you can pick it up in your own spare time easily or if you like the logic/maths side of it, then FM will satisfy you.

So tl;dr: maths and physics are definite, consider replacing comp sci with econ or another science (preferably chem) and advised to switch history for further maths.
Original post by Zacken
Your brother was right in that you should ignore your parents and pick what you want. Maths and Physics were good choices, Computer Science is a it iffy but not the end of the world. History is a bit out of place there, especially with your tentative career choice. I'd advise rethinking that and maybe doing Further Maths instead. A subject you might want to replace Comp Sci with is Econ, that combination could be something you enjoy since Econ will prove you with the kind of essay writing and analytical skills that you enjoy from History and open up a few doors in terms of degree choices and then the age old M, FM, Physics will open up a huge array of things related to engineering that you might wish to do in the future. It'll allow you to apply to top uni's for engineering.

Alternatively, if I may - you may wish to replace Comp Sci with another science. Comp Sci by itself isn't a very common subject and in all honesty, doesn't teach much. If you like programming you can pick it up in your own spare time easily or if you like the logic/maths side of it, then FM will satisfy you.

So tl;dr: maths and physics are definite, consider replacing comp sci with econ or another science (preferably chem) and advised to switch history for further maths.

I only got an A in Maths, all of the places I have applied to want an A* for me to do Further at A level.
They are basically hinting at you to do Medicine and when the time comes to be applying to unis, they'll be trying to coerce you to apply for medicine
But why?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Your choices are fine. History is good (and valued) to take alongside science-y things as its an essay subject
Original post by Pinkberry_y
They are basically hinting at you to do Medicine and when the time comes to be applying to unis, they'll be trying to coerce you to apply for medicine

Right. So are you saying that if I don't want to do medicine, then Chemistry is not really necessary?
Definitely continue doing what you're doing. You've chosen a really good range of different A levels and you've opened up way more options by choosing the subjects that you have. Plus you enjoy them so that means that you're probably going to do really well in them too, which you might not have done if you'd chosen subjects that you didn't like. I think you've set yourself up really nicely. Since your parents did say that they're not going to force you to pick anything, they can't get mad at you for choosing what you did, so I think you're in a pretty good position.

If you're still unsure though, lookup what universities want for the future degrees that you're considering and base your choices on what the majority want. You seem pretty interested in engineering, so if the universities only want maths and physics, then you're all good. Sometimes there's a recommended third subject that they suggest you do, that makes you look better. If that's the case then do that one too. If you only need maths/physics then you'll be fine to just carry on with what you're doing. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mish2000
I only got an A in Maths, all of the places I have applied to want an A* for me to do Further at A level.

See if you can ask for a trial run of FM or if they can be a bit more lenient with you and allow you to do FM provided you do extra assessments or whatever. It really is worth the trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest