The Student Room Group

How hard is A level maths?

Hi

I'm going into year 12 in September, and I'm doing A level maths. I was wondering how hard both AS and A2 maths are and what the workload is like? Especially combined with other science subjects. :smile:

I got an A* in GCSE maths and a B in Additional maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bonnie_x
Hi

I'm going into year 12 in September, and I'm doing A level maths. I was wondering how hard both AS and A2 maths are and what the workload is like? Especially combined with other science subjects. :smile:

I only got an A at maths compared to your A* and I managed to get an A at AS so you'll probably achieve if you put in the effort. The questions are very similar each year so past papers is key. Is your exam board aqa?
Soul-crushingly horrid.
Fairly easy if you put the work in. It should be easy because you've done further maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
I only got an A at maths compared to your A* and I managed to get an A at AS so you'll probably achieve if you put in the effort. The questions are very similar each year so past papers is key. Is your exam board aqa?

Did you get an A in AS this year?
Original post by Rajive
Did you get an A in AS this year?

Yes I did
Reply 6
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
Yes I did

Taking it to A2?
Original post by Rajive
Taking it to A2?

I'm about 50/50 on whether to take it to A2 or not atm
easy as π\pi
I got an A in GCSE maths. In my AS year, I got a C but this year I came out with an A overall. So, to answer your question, it's hard but if you work hard (and smart), it'll be very rewarding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi

Middle difficulty

Econ/Physics/chemistry are harder in my opinion
Reply 11
Hi

You'll find the first few months of it pretty much the same as your additional maths course, so you'll be fine. The workload is hugely varied, some people literally need to do zero work, others need to slave away. If you're good at maths, you'll find it easily rewarding for very little effort. If you're not so good at it - you'll need to put some effort in. Either way, it's a good A-Level and well worth doing. It'll open up your degree choices significantly. Recommend.
By doing additional maths it's pretty much similar to the beginning of AS, so maybe you could work ahead, and therefore be able to finish the course and revise easier
If you don't put the work in you'll end up crying.
Like any other A-level, it's not going to be a walk in the park because otherwise there would be no point in even going to college. But you can't know how hard you'll find it until you experience it. If you give it your all, you'll come away with a good grade whether it's super difficult or not.
Hi

I got an A* at GCSE, a C at AS, then worked my ass off for the whole year to get an A at A2 after retaking a couple of modules.
I started my A Levels doing maths, English lit, biology and chemistry. I got a B at GCSE but I probably could have done better so decided to try it anyway and I feel compared to other core subjects it's disproportionately hard. I ended up quitting at Christmas and swapping maths for history and re starting in September. I'd say unless you feel like you have a flair for it then avoid- I knew a lot of people who went from an A at GCSE to an E/U at A Level. Good luck you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by meandegreen
Like any other A-level, it's not going to be a walk in the park because otherwise there would be no point in even going to college. But you can't know how hard you'll find it until you experience it. If you give it your all, you'll come away with a good grade whether it's super difficult or not.

I find the content easy, but just hard to remember, i guess it's just a matter of practice and repitition
Reply 18
Original post by Accountingggo
I got an A in GCSE maths. In my AS year, I got a C but this year I came out with an A overall. So, to answer your question, it's hard but if you work hard (and smart), it'll be very rewarding

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exact same thing happened to my brother :smile:
Its a lot of work but the work is straightforward...just do loads of past papers

Quick Reply

Latest