The Student Room Group

Do I need Maths for A-Level Chemsitry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MCPC247
Yes, there is quite a lot of maths at A2. However it is easily doable without taking AS maths, you will just have to do a bit more practise than those with AS maths.

Do you think it'll be really time consuming to have to learn all of the maths though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take it from me, I took Chemistry AS, got B's and A's all year and got an A at Chemistry GCSE. I got a C in Maths at GCSE and ended up getting an E in Chemistry AS because of the Maths. You definatly should underpin Chemistry with A level maths or even another science. All the best.
Original post by Infamous*
I disagree, most of it is just multiplication/division with an odd bit of logs here and there

I've done chemistry and don't remember using multiplication / division anywhere I'm guessing you didn't do AQA haha? There are logs though.
Original post by james Thompson56
I've done chemistry and don't remember using multiplication / division anywhere I'm guessing you didn't do AQA haha? There are logs though.

Was the maths very complex though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by url0velyhannah
Take it from me, I took Chemistry AS, got B's and A's all year and got an A at Chemistry GCSE. I got a C in Maths at GCSE and ended up getting an E in Chemistry AS because of the Maths. You definatly should underpin Chemistry with A level maths or even another science. All the best.

I was planning to do Biology aswell, but I don't think that it will help with the maths side of Chemistry anyway

You were getting A's and B's all year so maybe you just had an unfortunate exam? Or do you think it was down to the maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's harsh on your part and if you do AQA chemistry I can see what you mean the amount of maths that's being implemented into it is Unfair if you don't do maths at a level.
Original post by TomSuffolk
I was planning to do Biology aswell, but I don't think that it will help with the maths side of Chemistry anyway

You were getting A's and B's all year so maybe you just had an unfortunate exam? Or do you think it was down to the maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology has maths in as well by the way especially at A2 there's quite a bit of statistics you need to know.
That's harsh on your part and if you do AQA chemistry I can see what you mean the amount of maths that's being implemented into it is Unfair if you don't do maths at a level.

It was AQA chemistry lol i did chemistry as a stand alone science because my college gave me poor advice.
It was AQA chemistry lol i did chemistry as a stand alone science because my college gave me poor advice.

Are you having to resit then or? to be fair though the spec has changed a lot now and I know people in my class who didn't do maths and got a U in Chemistry.
Was the maths very complex though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the question, some maths related questions are simple where as some are abit ridiculous especially as some students taking A level chemistry may not be doing maths.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not bothering because I'm dropping it and I got excellent grades in my other three a levels, it would be added stress that I don't need.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not bothering because I'm dropping it and I got excellent grades in my other three a levels, it would be added stress that I don't need.

Suppose that's a good idea as you won't want it to effect your other subjects.
Why would you advise that everyone takes it? And those questions look horrible.

I presumed that the Maths in Chemistry would just be rearranging formulas, converting units, rates of reaction, and other things that aren't too complex?
That is probably one of the most enjoyable topics in Maths, and it isn't that hard to grasp it's pretty easy when you do so. I haven't gotten to A2 yet but AS did have some maths, like drawing normal distribution curves, a little algebra. I didn't find that i needed to do AS Maths to understand these things, it made it somewhat easier but not to the extent that i needed to do Maths to understand it all. It definitely involves more Math, but i have never felt that doing A-Level Maths was necessary for me to understand these things. I haven't seen anything too complex that it couldn't be understood without perquisite knowledge from Math. Though considering that Math involves a hefty amount of problem solving it could be helpful in some aspects. Anyway, i see it as a matter of liking Math or not, it may be really hard to do the work needed to understand certain Mathematical Topics if you don't like it.
Why would you advise that everyone takes it? And those questions look horrible.

I presumed that the Maths in Chemistry would just be rearranging formulas, converting units, rates of reaction, and other things that aren't too complex?
That is probably one of the most enjoyable topics in Maths, and it isn't that hard to grasp it's pretty easy in my opinion just takes some work. I haven't gotten to A2 Chemistry yet but AS did have some maths, like drawing normal distribution curves, a little algebra. I didn't find that i needed to do AS Maths to understand these things, it made it somewhat easier but not to the extent that i needed to do Maths to understand it all. It definitely involves more Math, but i have never felt that doing A-Level Maths was necessary for me to understand these things. I haven't seen anything too complex that it couldn't be understood without perquisite knowledge from Math. Though considering that Math involves a hefty amount of problem solving it could be helpful in some aspects. Anyway, i see it as a matter of liking Math or not, it may be really hard to do the work needed to understand certain Mathematical Topics if you don't like it.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
That is probably one of the most enjoyable topics in Maths, and it isn't that hard to grasp it's pretty easy in my opinion just takes some work. I haven't gotten to A2 Chemistry yet but AS did have some maths, like drawing normal distribution curves, a little algebra. I didn't find that i needed to do AS Maths to understand these things, it made it somewhat easier but not to the extent that i needed to do Maths to understand it all. It definitely involves more Math, but i have never felt that doing A-Level Maths was necessary for me to understand these things. I haven't seen anything too complex that it couldn't be understood without perquisite knowledge from Math. Though considering that Math involves a hefty amount of problem solving it could be helpful in some aspects. Anyway, i see it as a matter of liking Math or not, it may be really hard to do the work needed to understand certain Mathematical Topics if you don't like it.

I'm okay with maths (at least at GCSE) and you could say that I'm relatively good at it.

It's just that I really don't enjoy it and studying it for another year at an even more complex level seems like hell

I only really want to do it if it'll significantly help me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm okay with maths (at least at GCSE) and you could say that I'm relatively good at it.

It's just that I really don't enjoy it and studying it for another year at an even more complex level seems like hell

I only really want to do it if it'll significantly help me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what exam board it will be for chemistry as this will make difference?
Do you know what exam board it will be for chemistry as this will make difference?

It's with OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Callum323
As someone who got an A* at GCSE maths, who struggled with both AS and A2 chemistry maths, I would advise you to take maths alongside chemistry. Then again, I'd advise everyone doing A-levels to take maths.

The attached file is an AS-level maths question, if this scares you off then I'd advise not taking it :tongue:

Bear (Bare?) in mind that's a particularly difficult one - but you will need to learn how to use logs

I'd talk to your teacher about the mathematical ability for OCR I do AQA and i would say you need to do maths or be very very good at maths as there is a lot of maths in AQA chemistry , like in the exam we had to calculate the velocity of a cation in a mass spectrometer.
I'd talk to your teacher about the mathematical ability for OCR I do AQA and i would say you need to do maths or be very very good at maths as there is a lot of maths in AQA chemistry , like in the exam we had to calculate the velocity of a cation in a mass spectrometer.

And did AS maths prepare you for this, for example did you cover things that are relevant to this in maths? Or did you have to learn the new maths in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest