The Student Room Group

Could I go into a career of medicine with these GCSE grades?

Although, my GCSE grades aren't the best i'm really prepared to give it my all in my A-levels. I didn't take GCSE's seriously as I come from a pretty poor school.
I got
Fine Art: A
Graphic Design: A
Photography: A
German:B
Chemistry: B
Physics: B
Biology: B
Maths: C
English: C
Do you thing I would have any future in medicine? I come from a school with literally 30% 5 A*-C really bad. But I think I got pretty decent grades, but i'm unsure if its enough to go down the medicine route. Considering some people are unhappy with B grades on here.
Original post by Meaks1
Although, my GCSE grades aren't the best i'm really prepared to give it my all in my A-levels. I didn't take GCSE's seriously as I come from a pretty poor school.
I got
Do you thing I would have any future in medicine? I come from a school with literally 30% 5 A*-C really bad. But I think I got pretty decent grades, but i'm unsure if its enough to go down the medicine route. Considering some people are unhappy with B grades on here.

You would have a chance, only thing that may set you back is the C grades in maths and English, as well as the fact that your A grades are in very un related medical subjects. What are you taking at a level?
Original post by Meaks1
I got

there's this thing called entry requirements you can find it on the internet and it shows all the medical schools and what they require of you to get a place. check there.
Original post by Meaks1
I got

To get a chance to study medicine, you need a MINIUMUM of a grade B in English and Maths at GCSE. You also need to take Chemistry, Biology or Maths or Physics at A-level and get at least AAB or AAA to get a university placement at a decent university.I have to be honest here, I don't think that you'll make the cut for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RyujinTanaka
To get a chance to study medicine, you need a MINIUMUM of a grade B in English and Maths at GCSE. You also need to take Chemistry, Biology or Maths or Physics at A-level and get at least AAB or AAA to get a university placement at a decent university.I have to be honest here, I don't think that you'll make the cut for it.

My advice would be try resit English and Maths get a B or higher and then try get in a graduate entry medicine programme and do bio med or biology etc at under graduate . However you will still need to do well at a level chemistry
If you come from a poor school, have a look at Medicine courses with a foundation year/gateway. For example, Bristol does a 'Gateway to medicine course' and Lancaster does a 'pre-medical studies' course. Both of these are designed for applicants from under-achieving schools or other extenuating circumstances. Note that these courses are more competitive than standard 5 year courses as there are fewer places so make sure you do everything you can to ace your A-levels.
Some universities do make an allowance for the fact you've taken your GCSEs at a low-performing school, so there's that to bear in mind. Iirc from what I've seen generally you'll need As or Bs (depends on the uni) in your core subjects. It may be worth shooting off a few emails/phone calls to uni admissions explaining your situation, to see what they say.
Original post by lightwoXd
Some universities do make an allowance for the fact you've taken your GCSEs at a low-performing school, so there's that to bear in mind. Iirc from what I've seen generally you'll need As or Bs (depends on the uni) in your core subjects. It may be worth shooting off a few emails/phone calls to uni admissions explaining your situation, to see what they say.

Usually though lower achieving schools will be taken into account with the wider access to medicine programmes were you will also need to be in range with other circumstances that put you at a disadvantage
Reply 8
Original post by james Thompson56
You would have a chance, only thing that may set you back is the C grades in maths and English, as well as the fact that your A grades are in very un related medical subjects. What are you taking at a level?

I'm takin Chemistry, German and Biology. However, I have the chance to resit my english and maths this year, but i'm unsure whether that would have an effect on my A-level grades.
I got a C in bio, B in chem and A in physics (suprisingly i hated physics and actually got a D in the latest mock, whilst i was expecting A for chem and atleast B in bio) can i still survive doing chem and bio at alevel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending