The Student Room Group

Why do so many in Germany still praise Merkel's open door to migrants?

I saw a survey the other day that said that just under half of Germans still think Merkel has done a good job by opening the border and allowing in millions of migrants. Why is this? Did the mass sex attacks in multiple German cities not bother them? Or the incidents of stabbings, of transexuals being stoned in the streets, of women being told to cover up; did they not bother them either? I realise that at least over half think it was a stupid thing for Merkel to do, but it astounds me that some still think its good, while at least 80% of Germans are sensible enough to agree that the burqa should be banned in at least some public areas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Most Germans still feel guilty for Nazism and think that welcoming migrants will repair that mistake. Times are changing however; the rise of AfD shows it, but it will be long.
Dunno but quite a few said they had changed their mind and now think it was a bad decision on a poll i did on here a few weeks back. Dunno how to find the thread tho
Aryan guilt
70 plus years of anti-German propaganda/guilt will do that to a population.
Reply 5
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Dunno but quite a few said they had changed their mind and now think it was a bad decision on a poll i did on here a few weeks back. Dunno how to find the thread tho

Yeh I remember that. Weirdly, I think most people in the UK think it was a bad idea but I'd be surprised if 80% of British people would support banning the burqa in some public areas.
Some people there feel that it's morally good to take in people fleeing war zones, even though this can cause the problems you outlined
Reply 7
Original post by squish562
Some people there feel that it's morally good to take in people fleeing war zones, even though this can cause the problems you outlined

well most of them aren't from war torn countries alot are taking advantage of the real war refuges cant you see that have a look at alot of them young men mostly plus do you really think if the war ended they will return to there counties i doubt it . .
Original post by KingBradly
I saw a survey the other day that said that just under half of Germans still think Merkel has done a good job by opening the border and allowing in millions of migrants. Why is this? Did the mass sex attacks in multiple German cities not bother them? Or the incidents of stabbings, of transexuals being stoned in the streets, of women being told to cover up; did they not bother them either? I realise that at least over half think it was a stupid thing for Merkel to do, but it astounds me that some still think its good, while at least 80% of Germans are sensible enough to agree that the burqa should be banned in at least some public areas.

imagine what a ****hole Italy/greece would be if the rest of Europe refused entry to these migrants, Merkel mitigated the problem, and therefore lessened its economic impact on two weak economies

shoving the problem to somewhere else doesn't make it go away
Original post by alevelstresss
imagine what a ****hole Italy/greece would be if the rest of Europe refused entry to these migrants, Merkel mitigated the problem, and therefore lessened its economic impact on two weak economies

But inviting an unlimited number of them in only serves as an encouragement for more to come. A better idea would have been to provide support to Greece and Italy in the form of financial assistance and manpower to patrol the waters and send those who did make it across back to Turkey (in the case of Syrians). I agree that Germany can support them easier than Greece and Italy can, but that is assuming that the overall objective of keeping them in Europe in the first place was the best idea, which was a huge mistake to make.
Original post by KingBradly

Or maybe they see these events as being relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

Your assuming Italy and Greece could not turn them away. They can.

Europe chooses to pollute itself, its not forced on them.
Original post by Rakas21

The refugees and immigrants basically swam across the ocean, its not a simple matter of 'refusing' them.

Collecting them and dumping them back in the ME would be extremely expensive, difficult, and it would've been internationally criticised.
Original post by Rakas21

How do you suggest we police a sea that large?
The refugees and immigrants basically swam across the ocean, its not a simple matter of 'refusing' them.

Collecting them and dumping them back in the ME would be extremely expensive, difficult, and it would've been internationally criticised.

There's certainly a cost involved (though arguably worth it) but it's actually fairly easy to essentially arrest people once they reach the Islands and then deport them without an asylum hearing.

I don't care if the international community critisise us.

Original post by SHallowvale
How do you suggest we police a sea that large?

It's not that much bigger than Australia's northern sea and they manage perfectly well.
Well for starters millions haven't entered Germany, its estimated to be about 600,000.

Fundamentally Merkel seems to be the only politician that has done anything about the problem. Most of what I've heard any other politician say is the national equivalent of "it's very sad and all, but it ain't my problem". I get people not being happy about it, criticising it but no one has suggested an actual alternative. These refugees couldn't stay in Syria, and the neighbouring countries, especially Turkey genuinely do already have actual millions of refugees in their country.
Original post by Gwilym101
Well for starters millions haven't entered Germany, its estimated to be about 600,000.

Fundamentally Merkel seems to be the only politician that has done anything about the problem. Most of what I've heard any other politician say is the national equivalent of "it's very sad and all, but it ain't my problem". I get people not being happy about it, criticising it but no one has suggested an actual alternative. These refugees couldn't stay in Syria, and the neighbouring countries, especially Turkey genuinely do already have actual millions of refugees in their country.

Merkel admitted 1.1 million refugees last year, figures so far this year would suggest that will rise to about 1.5m.

Without tackling what is happening in Syria, nobody will solve the problem. She's simply dealing with the symptoms and not in a good way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending