The Student Room Group

Are kids nowadays getting dumber?

Are kids nowadays becoming more and more stupid as time progresses? I certainly noticed such a trend.

Here are a few examples of their idiotic slang:
-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"it's the internet" followed by some excuse
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-asking questions without placing question marks
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"this" (when agreeing with something)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

Does anyone else hate (these) memes as much as I do? I want to punch the memes inventor for bringing to the world the biggest pest ever!

What is wrong with these kids? Even hillbillies produce more accurate English than these troglodytes! They should go back to school and relearn English!

I know I am not the only one who feels utterly frustrated by this. Reach out to me and feel my misery, oh co-educated ones!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 571122
Are kids nowadays becoming more and more stupid as time progresses? I certainly noticed such a trend.

-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

Does anyone else hate (these) memes as much as I do? I want to punch the memes inventor for bringing to the world the biggest pest ever!

What is wrong with these kids? Even hillbillies produce more accurate English than these troglodytes! They should go back to school and relearn English!

I know I am not the only one who feels utterly frustrated by this. Reach out to me and feel my misery, oh co-educated ones!

gosh darn it not those darn troglodytes with their fancy slang ,,,,, ,, let me criticise it by using slang !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Evolution bruh.
Reply 3
"I want to punch the memes inventor"... hardly a sentence oozing eloquence.
Your so rite.
Some of these are from vine. I'm guilty of using these words :colone:
Original post by 571122

-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

:five: Finally someone understands where I'm coming from. I hate all these stupid internet slang people use on here and in real life :yes:
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Evolution bruh.

Devolution, rather..
Reply 8
Original post by saraxh
Some of these are from vine. I'm guilty of using these words :colone:

I avoid people who use Vine.
Reply 9
Original post by mr T 999
:five: Finally someone understands where I'm coming from. I hate all these stupid internet slang people use on here and in real life :yes:

High five, Mr. T! I'm glad to read that!
Reply 10
Original post by PHD2027
were not getting dumber, your just old. most of us are smart but a small minority are not, get over it.
go away

Welcome to my ever-growing list!
Original post by 571122
I avoid people who use Vine.

I don't think people use vine anymore.
Original post by 571122

-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

No - data suggests they're getting smarter. Be glad you weren't alive in 6000 BC
Original post by 571122

-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

this
I don't think that any of those can really reflect on someone's intelligence.

People just copy other people's lingo, whether that's in person or on the Internet.

Probably the only big pet hate that I agree with on your list is your and you're.
Reply 15
Original post by saraxh
I don't think people use vine anymore.

That would be a huge relief. Better would be the non-existence of anything remotely resembling it. We need tools that make us smarter, not dumber.
Reply 16
"Keep calm and" was started in 1939 by the government
Reply 17
Original post by DanielleT192
I don't think that any of those can really reflect on someone's intelligence.

People just copy other people's lingo, whether that's in person or on the Internet.

Probably the only big pet hate that I agree with on your list is your and you're.

If you copy other people's lingo, you have no substance, no personality.
Reply 18
Original post by Becca.b
"Keep calm and" was started in 1939 by the government

I know that. It has been abused by modern society, which is one of the things I hate about kids nowadays: they take something which has value and they disrespect it without even knowing what they are talking about.
Reply 19
Original post by ValerieKR
No - data suggests they're getting smarter. Be glad you weren't alive in 6000 BC

Feel free to show me an official and peer-reviewed reference to that data anytime.

Quick Reply