The Student Room Group

Angela Merkel should get the Nobel Peace Prize for helping refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridocyclitis
Who agrees?

What she did was brave and nobel, and she has stood her ground in the face of intense criticism from the right. She has given a safe home to countless refugees who have been fleeing war and terrible conditions.

Merkel is doing more damage to the cultural and ethnic makeup of Germany than at any time since the Soviet invasion of 45. She disgusts me.

Original post by sdotd
nope , she will lose the election due to her stupid policy

All indications are that she will win comfortably..

Original post by 1010marina
She put the safety of foreigners above the safety of her own people. Despicable, in my opinion.

Seems like a cardinal sin lmao. If you asked me what the main priorities of a first world government or leader are i think it should be

1) Safety / security - Domestic and foreign

LMAO
Original post by Josb
It's crazy that she answered seriously to your obvious trolling.

Being for giving a safe haven to refugees is not trolling.
(edited 7 years ago)
She won't be chancellor for much longer.

And no she shouldn't
What TSR thinks Germany is like:

Spoiler

Merkel's irresposible statements enlarged the crisis, encouraging even greater numbers of people to come to Europe, and it isn't only a problem of cultural differences. It was easy to predict what is going to happen, and that Europe doesn't have enough money, or, in a first place, even logistics to supply such large numbers with what they need, I mean, language lessons and places to live. Market is also not ready to provide jobs for them.

Also, you cannot provide social benefits for foreigners without any conditions to fullfil. Such policy is deadly not only for budget, but for all states in general, since it removes motivation for working for own state. What sense does it make, to live and work for your country, If government of other country gives you more money for free, that you would ever be able to earn in your own country? What sense does it make to pay taxes for if your country is going to spend them on strangers who didn't pay any?

There are even no sanctions for some of those immigrants, since European prisons are far better places to live than Somalia for example. So if some immigrant from Somalia kills somebody, in his eyes he will be rewarded with free accomodation, food and medical care.

I feel sorry for these people, and especially for those who had to stay in dangerous places, but this irresponsible policy is harmful and dangerous for everyone. Including those who risk cruises through Mediterranean.

Original post by ValerieKR
The definition of fundamentalist is believing it's the true word of God.

I know plenty of Muslims who don't follow the Quran on the stupid stuff.

I would ask them that If they feel free to choose, then why didn't they choose something other from this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Rakas21

All indications are that she will win comfortably..

She will have to make a coalition - at the very least. But if the trend continues, she will not win the elections - the CDU has already lost 10 points in a year.
Original post by PTMalewski

I would ask them that If they feel free to choose, then why didn't they choose something other from this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions

Because it's the one their family has followed for generations and they feel most comfortable with?
Why do people pick worshipping Beelzebub? :s

Spoiler

The amount of people who are referencing *that* incident need to look at the bigger picture.
She has saved many thousands of people's lives. This is undeniably a good thing
Because it's the one their family has followed for generations and they feel most comfortable with?

Yes I know but I find it so... problematic...

Why do people pick worshipping Beelzebub? :s

Orignally the Beelzebub was Baal-Zebul
a lord of underground for people of Kaanan, who (according to Bible) were exterminated by Israelites, so it's obvious that they nicked a god of their enemies "A lord of flies" - typical kindergarten behaviour.
But I guess that lots of those you mention simply like ZZ Tops "Beer drinkers and hell raisers"

Original post by cbreef

This would have been done simply through European law and UN conventions. Those who really had to run and were able to run, would have run anyway.
So she didn't do anything good and she did even worse than I think, if this will lead to a home-war in Europe.
Not now, but in 20 years it's possible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes I know but I find it so... problematic...

Think about it for a bit... are you really the tolerant one in that scenario?

And thanks for the Beelzebub info - Alex Jones is 100% right - anyone who isn't a Republican is a Satan worshipper and I welcome any opportunity to get closer to my King ^.^
Think about it for a bit... are you really the tolerant one in that scenario?

I'm tolerant, I am not enthusiast. I see some problems caused by even moderate followers. It's the same as lack of logic, ignorance, and lack of cosequence or cowardice, plus what Sam Harris said about more particular features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSdGr4K4qLg

Btw. Saudi Arabia is one of most opressive and intolerant states in the world, and I'll tell you, what my English teacher told me abut a group of Saudi people he used to teach: "Alone they were critical about their country, religion and more liberal than we would imagine, but together none of them would speak a word about it. They were afraid to speak their opinion loudly in presence of somebody that would announce them to Saudi officials"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
The amount of people who are referencing *that* incident need to look at the bigger picture.

She saved them from living in refuge in Turkey...............

Of course there's the other pertinent point which is that the majority of these people aren't even Syrian.
Original post by Josb
She will have to make a coalition - at the very least. But if the trend continues, she will not win the elections - the CDU has already lost 10 points in a year.

Yes however you can see from the chart that her partners have also lost votes, hence she still wins comfortably and just creates another grand coalition with a smaller majority.

I can't see AfG winning with such a short space of time to go. There'd need to be something big happen.
Well she should defo get an award for screwing up Germany.

I can't wait to see how she does in German elections.
Agreed, I think all of these people whinging "Merkel opened the floodgates" underestimate how bad keeping all of the migrants where they land (ie in Greece and Italy) would've been. Instead the strain was mitigated all across Europe, rather than concentrating it to two weak economies.
Original post by alevelstresss
Agreed, I think all of these people whinging "Merkel opened the floodgates" underestimate how bad keeping all of the migrants where they land (ie in Greece and Italy) would've been. Instead the strain was mitigated all across Europe, rather than concentrating it to two weak economies.

You insist on ignoring the fact that this increases the flood and lots if not majority of these people are not even from Syria.
The more you welcome, the more will want to come to our "golden palaces" and we do not even have logistic possiblities to accomodate them.
You insist on ignoring the fact that this increases the flood and lots if not majority of these people are not even from Syria.
The more you welcome, the more will want to come to our "golden palaces" and we do not even have logistic possiblities to accomodate them.

I still believe the problem would've been far worse if they had been isolated to Greece and Italy, with limited support from the rest of Europe.
Original post by alevelstresss
I still believe the problem would've been far worse if they had been isolated to Greece and Italy, with limited support from the rest of Europe.

I don't believe, I think, for I heave reasons, that less people would have come to Europe at all, if not these statements about unlimited numbers, and social handouts. Notice, that from all contries in Europe, they are heading to rich ones like Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavian countries, UK etc. You will not find them in Poland, nor Slovakia, Ukraine or anywhere in mid-east Europe (very small numbers).
Which means this is an economical immigration, and that that should be done legally, not through coming crossing boarders illegally and without documents. This is demoralising, it teaches people that they are allowed to breake law from the very beggining.

People in Middle East and Africa got a message, that thay are welcome, no surprise that they risked a trip to improve their condition in life.
Italian policy was also bad on that matter. They are helpin people to cross the see, to stop them drowning in, but if the very first were sent back, they would have stopped these risky and illegal attemts to get to Italy.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending