The Student Room Group

Are kids nowadays getting dumber?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 571122
Feel free to show me an official and peer-reviewed reference to that data anytime.

Just look at the skilled/unskilled worker distributions over the last few decades
Reply 21
lol m8 I bet u think this is awesum. so much win right, totes epic. u must have so many feels thinkin it's dope as **** and all, but it's the internet lol. keep calm and stop whining. wait, what? u think someone saying the wrong your/you're really matters? r u stupid oh yes u must be if u think any1 cares about interpunction as i said it's the internet lol. u need to chill, op. with regards to "this" tho, i hav 2 agree.

Original post by 571122
idiotic slang: -"this" (when agreeing with something)

this fam, like seriously.

right now ur probably thinking "really"? honestly i dont know where ur negativity comes from. again, u need to chill, it's all good. if u wanna be less *****y I'm down for that. I'm good if not tho, no probs. just quit ur *****ing yeh? if u have a problem with all this it's just my opinion.
Original post by 571122
Feel free to show me an official and peer-reviewed reference to that data anytime.

Feel free to show me an official and peer-reviewed reference to any of the claims in your original post.

Like why? What you're saying, and what I'm saying, is obviously true?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol m8 I bet u think this is awesum. so much win right, totes epic. u must have so many feels thinkin it's dope as **** and all, but it's the internet lol. keep calm and stop whining. wait, what? u think someone saying the wrong your/you're really matters? r u stupid oh yes u must be if u think any1 cares about interpunction as i said it's the internet lol. u need to chill, op. with regards to "this" tho, i hav 2 agree.

right now ur probably thinking "really"? honestly i dont know where ur negativity comes from. again, u need to chill, it's all good. if u wanna be less *****y I'm down for that. I'm good if not tho, no probs. just quit ur *****ing yeh? if u have a problem with all this it's just my opinion.

How long did it take you to type that ?:rofl:
It's disgusting. I blame poor education standards and the modern liberal society. I yearn for the days where everyone was brought up with conservative Christian morals and values.
Reply 25
"its just my opinion" -how is that a meme?

no one says epic anymore sorry
'relearn English' ... what exactly is 'english'?
Reply 27
Children in this modern age have been nurtured far differently compared to the last generation that had been educated before it. Whilst tests are starting to get harder, their increase in difficulty has been the least of concern (This is referring to the new GCSEs that are rolling out this academic year for Maths and English). The actual cause of this is the spreading of social media and technology, which has lead to a larger split in academic performance as well as an overall change of language. People often type in shorthand simply because they do not wish to type the entire sentence out- as this has evolved throughout the early days of the internet. To refer to many of these quotes in the main post, they are simply changes in the masses, or what people may call the lowest common denominator. These people were often 'there' before the days of the internet, but they have shown a massive increase in publicity since the Internet has existed. People can now post anything they want, and because of this, stupidity has become public.

TL;DR the lives of people are evolving constantly with technology and the split of intelligence quotients has widened, leading to an overall idea that the public has become dumber (as people often view negative news stronger than positive news)
Reply 28
Original post by #ChaosKass
It's disgusting. I blame poor education standards and the modern liberal society. I yearn for the days where everyone was brought up with conservative Christian morals and values.

Reading two of your posts in a row has been the funniest part of my day
They're getting academically smarter, but there is a cultural difference that you are missing. Values have changed to fit a global culture with a lot more comforts than previous generations were afforded. In my view, that has the potential to breed complacency and apathy, but we are moving away from traditional views and language.
Reply 30
Original post by saraxh
How long did it take you to type that ?:rofl:

a few minutes..
Reply 31
Original post by 571122
Devolution, rather..

In what way is being able to more rapidly convey a concept, devolution?

For example:
so many feels - what has been presented here has caused me strong emotion

op - original post(er)

this - I agree the the aforementioned statement.

-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
Ok, what nationality are you, because that's just sarcasm (or just normal words), and if you can't understand and appreciate that I'm just assuming you're not British.

I'm down for that - I am happy to proceed with the aforementioned activity
I'm good
it's just my opinion
Again, these are just sentences...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
You shouldn't be using an online forum if "OP" and "this" pisses you off.
maybe because people don't really see a point in getting educated anymore when you get idiots on tv getting rich off stupid reality shows or sports people getting millions for **** all
you're edgy as ****

are you a real person or is this a shitpost
Reply 35
My son will use some of those sayings with his friends on Xbox, but he doesn't speak around us like that. Doesn't personally bother me. When I was younger we had slang we used as well. It's just part of growing up.
Is it that deep?

I use most of those and it doesn't make me less smarter than others who don't. Its just slang and I bet when you were younger people around you used slang. The way you talk/type may make you appear smarter but it doesn't mean you are.
So just wondering, would you say someone who spoke formally all the time but got Es is smarter than someone who doesn't and gets Bs? Plus there are different types of smart and different definitions.
(This is all said assuming you use the word 'dumber' to mean less smarter)
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Yes
Reply 38
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Did you enjoy wasting those 5 minutes of your life you will never get back?
Reply 39
Original post by #ChaosKass

Hear ye, hear ye! My thoughts exactly! I wholeheartedly agree! Liberals can have good aspects but a lot of them are irritating and disrespectful. I was brought up a Christian and like you, I have morals, values and respect.Try to find someone like that nowadays, good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending