The Student Room Group

Do I need Maths for A-Level Chemsitry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomSuffolk
And did AS maths prepare you for this, for example did you cover things that are relevant to this in maths? Or did you have to learn the new maths in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's nothing in maths that you would directly need however some concepts such as integration will come in usefully to understand things fully also things like hard algebra will come into use with compound units etc
Original post by james Thompson56
There's nothing in maths that you would directly need however some concepts such as integration will come in usefully to understand things fully also things like hard algebra will come into use with compound units etc

This is probably unrelated, but just how hard is AS Maths if I was to take it? I'm got A* at GCSE but I got A's all year so that's probably a more accurate representation

I feel like I struggle with some A* concepts at GCSE so A-Level scares me because it's even more complex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Not gonna lie here I do both Chem and Maths but I haven't really seen many links. The only maths heavy component is physical chemistry and its not really any content similar to A-Level maths, unless they want you to take it because of your plans for university or to increase the logical thinking present in both subjects I dont think its necessary.
Original post by Jassy16
Not gonna lie here I do both Chem and Maths but I haven't really seen many links. The only maths heavy component is physical chemistry and its not really any content similar to A-Level maths, unless they want you to take it because of your plans for university or to increase the logical thinking present in both subjects I dont think its necessary.

Which exam board is your Chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jassy16

Which exam board is your chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jassy16

Think it depends on what exam boards you take
Reply 66
AQA

Seems like someone had a similar thought to you---> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1161884
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jassy16
AQA

There are links especially next year I do agree though it's only physical that is maths related
Depends what you want to do after A-Level. Do you plan to go to uni and study a course that is science based? If yes, maths might be a good idea but since you're planning to do biology as well, I am sure you will get just as far. Just very few universities want maths A-Level anyway. Good Luck!
You don't need to take AS Maths in order to cope with the maths in A-Level Chemistry. However for A2 you will probably need to learn a bit about logarithms and graphs, but given that you've gotten an A* in Maths at GCSE it should be relatively easy to grasp.
Original post by Jassy16
AQA

Seems like someone had a similar thought to you---> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1161884

Thanks the link was helpful 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
You don't need to take AS Maths in order to cope with the maths in A-Level Chemistry. However for A2 you will probably need to learn a bit about logarithms and graphs, but given that you've gotten an A* in Maths at GCSE it should be relatively easy to grasp.

I'll just have to know how to use them though won't I? I mean I won't have to understand the maths behind them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just been to enrol and I intended to take A-Level Chemistry. The head of sixth form urged me not to take Chemistry without taking atleast AS Maths because apparently I'll massively struggle at A2.

This is the first time I've ever been told that Maths is crucial for A-Level Chemistry.

I'm quite competent with maths (A* at GCSE) however I really don't enjoy it and I really don't want to take it at A-Level at all.

So how important is A-Level maths for Chemistry? And will I completely crumble if I don't take it; like the head of sixth form said?

Do I need maths

(Excuse the misspelling of Chemistry in the title)

You clearly don't want to do maths at A level and the level of maths that you do at A level is waaaay above what you need for A level Chemistry. You'd probably end up regretting taking maths for A level and might end up risking your grades in the process. It's definitely not essential for A level Chemistry, but I didn't take it so I can't tell you how useful it actually is. I did do Chemistry though, after getting an A at GCSE maths and the maths we had to learn for Chemistry wasn't rocket science at all. I'd say go with your gut instinct.
Original post by VETwannabe
You clearly don't want to do maths at A level and the level of maths that you do at A level is waaaay above what you need for A level Chemistry. You'd probably end up regretting taking maths for A level and might end up risking your grades in the process. It's definitely not essential for A level Chemistry, but I didn't take it so I can't tell you how useful it actually is. I did do Chemistry though, after getting an A at GCSE maths and the maths we had to learn for Chemistry wasn't rocket science at all. I'd say go with your gut instinct.

And how do you cope with chemistry without it? Are you absolutely fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a B at GCSE in maths, I didn't take it at AS or A2, I hate maths but I still got an A overall in chemistry

I don't think it's that crucial

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
I got a B at GCSE in maths, I didn't take it at AS or A2, I hate maths but I still got an A overall in chemistry

I don't think it's that crucial

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which exam board? And did you get that this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And how do you cope with chemistry without it? Are you absolutely fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you I wouldn't take maths and just make sure you are able to learn the maths necessary for your course. However I do believe a level math students would have better grasp / ability on the maths that may be needed for chemistry.If you don't really want to do maths then I wouldn't advise it as for all you know your Chem exams may not even include any maths related questions.
Do you know the grades that them two students got overall??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bs I think, but the question I was referring to only meant they lost a few marks. My point was, as with many other commenters on here, is that maths would help you to understand the concepts; however, if you wouldn't enjoy maths then it would be much more worthwhile for you to take another subject, and just make sure that you take the time to thoroughly learn the principles behind whatever you're doing maths-wise in chemistry, rather than just learning it by rote. :smile:
Original post by james Thompson56
You talking about Kc the equilibrium constant?

No, I realised that Kp is part of the new spec for OCR. Its the equilibrium for pressure.
Reply 79
I took the Edexcel new spec AS chemistry this year, and from the start I noticed that the new spec definitely contained more maths than the old spec. However in terms of difficulty, there's no complex maths involved (in AS at least) but the calculation questions do often require you to understand WHY you are doing the things you do.
e.g. there were quite a few long calculation questions during my exams this year (5/6 markers) and they were nothing more than simple multiplication/division etc but on one of them I remember getting confused as to what i was actually trying to find.

Either way i really enjoyed chemistry and I would defo recommend you take it regardless of what the maths is like (there was one person in my class who didnt do maths A level, she was fine throughout the year). Good luck:tongue:

P.S the maths at A2 does have some things seen during A level maths, but its nothing too hard (logarithms, v. interesting :biggrin:) and wont take much time to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest