The Student Room Group

I'm working 12 hours today, Ask Me (almost) Anything

Most people tend to enjoy bank holidays, today, I am working a 12 hour shift and am surprisingly getting a half hour (albeit unpaid) lunch break (allegedly- I am not allowed to leave the premesis and I am still expected to work through my "lunch break").

the place I am working at has crap wifi (really unstable but varies from 530kbps to 1.3mbps) and my main phone for some bizarre reason doesnt show tsr (there is a glitch where everytime I sign in, it keeps bringing me back to the loggin screen asking me to re-enter my password).

The questions you cannot ask are personal questions about my identity, where I live, how much I earn, what is my opinion on x demographic (unless it can be used for a humour).

also sorry if I wont be able to answer every question due to a) crap internet connection and b) I may be away from keyboard at various points between now and 8pm.
enjoy
Reply 1
You don't value work-life balance much, do you?
Original post by inhuman
You don't value work-life balance much, do you?

well, I do have a fairly decent balance . atm, Im not in a relationship and only work 2-3 days a week. the hours I work are long though (9-10 hours a shift, with a few 4 hour shifts on the same day as long weekend shifts, no breaks for lunch and in some cases, no toilet breaks). the fact I have 4-5 days off seems pretty decent (on average I work -30 hours a week but thats over 2-3 days)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by quasa
well, I do have a fairly decent balance . atm, Im not in a relationship and only work 2-3 days a week. the hours I work are long though (9-10 hours a shift, with a few 4 hour shifts on the same day as long weekend shifts, no breaks for lunch and in some cases, no toilet breaks). the fact I have 4-5 days off seems pretty decent (on average I work -30 hours a week but thats over 2-3 days)

Ok, my bad, I didn't read the today, I thought you meant in general but also today...
Reply 4
So what do you actually do that has this odd working pattern?
Not allowed to leavs the premises? Seems a bit crap.

What kind of work do you do?

Spoiler

Original post by SeanFM
Not allowed to leavs the premises? Seems a bit crap.

What kind of work do you do?

Original post by inhuman
So what do you actually do that has this odd working pattern?
Reply 7
Original post by quasa

locum is you help out whenever wherever needed?
Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:
Original post by iEthan
Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

roast banana and biscoff paste (crunchy) at half 5 this morning. I just wolfed down a pack of schezuan coated nuts now as I was peckish. hopefully that lasts me till half 1 when I have my "official" lunch break
Reply 10
Original post by quasa
and I am still expected to work through my "lunch break").

Are you? If so that would be illegal.
Original post by Reue
Are you? If so that would be illegal.

tbh, its amazing how many pharmacies get away with it. I have personally considered whistleblowing, only problem is that I can be blacklisted from the GPhC and if that happens, then I cant get a clean DBS when applying for other jobs.

to top it off, the GPhC has the policy that they dont deal with contractual stuff, only ftp (fitness to practice) and registering pharmacists, technicians and pharmacies (pharmacy = building; pharmacist =person)
Original post by inhuman
locum is you help out whenever wherever needed?

kinda, locums are pharmacists who cover others but you can get regular locum work at venues (for example, most pharmacies are open for >50-60 hours a week - I myself work in a few 100 hour pharmacies, so they need someone to cover the regular pharmacist(s) for 10-20 hours a week. I am mainly locumming for 3 major companies who arent boots and lloyds (lloyds pay me ~£8-10/hour less than other places but force more work upon me; boots hr are jerks)

Quick Reply

Latest