The Student Room Group

Can i do medicine with these GCSE grades?

I received my GCSE grades recently and I was wondering can I do medicine with these GCSE grades:

English lit: C
English lang: A
Science core: B
Science add: B
Maths: B
History: B
Business: B
Rs: A
Computing: D
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
This may help. I would avoid heavy GCSE medical schools such as Cardiff, birmingham, Nottingham etc... But if you go online individual websites will tell you what they're looking for :smile: You got good grades in science/maths/english language which is really good so it's just about applying right :smile:
Original post by AlexisSanchez1
I received my GCSE grades recently and I was wondering can I do medicine with these GCSE grades:

English lit: C
English lang: A
Science core: B
Science add: B
Maths: B
History: B
Business: B
Rs: A
Computing: D

Hi there!

With 2A's, 5Bs 1C and 1D your grades are really below the average medical applicant who can have around 6A* grades at GCSE, so be aware you are up against tough competition.
I will be honest and say most medical schools will not accept these GCSE grades as they are below their minimum requirements. but below is a list of those who will accept those grades:
- Newcastle/Durham (AAA)
- Exeter (A*AA)
- Glasgow (AAA)
- Plymouth (A*AA-AAA)
- Southampton (AAA)
- BSMS (AAA)
- Imperial (A*AA)

so above is 7 medical schools which you meet the academic requirements for, providing you get high BMAT and UKCAT scores gaining an interview is within reach here.

One thing I will say (sorry to be negative) but if you are achieving grade Bs in GCSE maths and science how are you going to bring that up to A*AA/AAA at A2 to gain entry into these medical schools? GCSEs are much much easier than Alevels as many will say, people who achieve many A*s at GCSE level go on to get Bs at AS as it is much harder, and requires a lot of hard work. I question whether a B at GCSE science can be raised to an A/A* in Alevel chemistry and biology as it is considerably harder and people who got A*s at GCSE struggle. Keep that in mind.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hi there!

With 2A's, 5Bs 1C and 1D your grades are really below the average medical applicant who can have around 6A* grades at GCSE, so be aware you are up against tough competition.
I will be honest and say most medical schools will not accept these GCSE grades as they are below their minimum requirements. but below is a list of those who will accept those grades:
- Newcastle/Durham (AAA)
- Exeter (A*AA)
- Glasgow (AAA)
- Plymouth (A*AA-AAA)
- Southampton (AAA)
- BSMS (AAA)
- Imperial (A*AA)

so above is 7 medical schools which you meet the academic requirements for, providing you get high BMAT and UKCAT scores gaining an interview is within reach here.

One thing I will say (sorry to be negative) but if you are achieving grade Bs in GCSE maths and science how are you going to bring that up to A*AA/AAA at A2 to gain entry into these medical schools? GCSEs are much much easier than Alevels as many will say, people who achieve many A*s at GCSE level go on to get Bs at AS as it is much harder, and requires a lot of hard work. I question whether a B at GCSE science can be raised to an A/A* in Alevel chemistry and biology as it is considerably harder and people who got A*s at GCSE struggle. Keep that in mind.

Hi I got 5 A*s in Maths,Chem,Citizenship,PE,Product design and 4 A's in English Lang,Bio,Physics and 2B's in English Lit and French. Is this good enough to go to medical school? Thanks for your help!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending