The Student Room Group

Doing A LEVELS having FAILED GCSEs?!

I got 3 GCSEs in maths (B), chemistry (B) and physics (C).

What do you think about me doing A levels in these 3 subjects too?

A level maths

A level chemistry

A level physics

Any advice?

I'll also be resitting GCSE English Language if my mark doesn't go up by one to make it a grade C.

Edit: I got higher grades in my mocks and I'm sure that the grades I achieved are not what I'm capable of.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Urm how did u fail? You did well for the a levels u want to study for:yep
GCSE's don't really determine how well you will suceed at a levels
If you work your a$$ off you can do really well:yep:
Don't think you should be doing these and I don't know how they let you with only 3 GCSE's
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Don't think you should be doing these and I don't know how they let you with only 3 GCSE's

Are you jealous?
Original post by Kryptonian

A level maths

A level chemistry

A level physics

Any advice?

I'll also be resitting GCSE English Language if my mark doesn't go up by one to make it a grade C.

What happened to you that you only passed 3 GCSE's? I'm not saying it's impossible but you might struggle
Are you jealous?

Are you a troll?
Reply 6
Original post by TheYearNiner
Are you a troll?

Why would you ask that ?
Reply 7
Original post by AngryRedhead
What happened to you that you only passed 3 GCSE's? I'm not saying it's impossible but you might struggle

I did so much better in my mocks. I believe I am capable of doing A levels though. I only messed up in my real GCSE exams
Reply 8
Original post by I am Kira
Urm how did u fail? You did well for the a levels u want to study for:yep
GCSE's don't really determine how well you will suceed at a levels
If you work your a$$ off you can do really well:yep:

Thank you!

A level maths

A level chemistry

A level physics

Any advice?

Edit: I got higher grades in my mocks and I'm sure that the grades I achieved are not what I'm capable of.

I think you should look for a college that will let you do another year of level 2 qualifications, resit English and resit Maths as a private candidate. If this goes well then think about A levels the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by gdunne42
I think you should look for a college that will let you do another year of level 2 qualifications, resit English and resit Maths as a private candidate. If this goes well then think about A levels the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Resit maths for what grade? An A or A*?
Resit maths for what grade? An A or A*?

If you hope to take maths and/or physics and even chemistry A level you need good maths skills at GCSE. If you do take this year to improve your GCSE and take other level 2 qualifications I recommend retaking your maths 1. So you keep doing maths and don't get rusty and 2. Hopefully improve your maths to make A level study a smaller step up. An A would be good, an A* would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If your planing on doing alevel physics you need it up to a B for most sixth forms. Try applying to ones that accept lower grades, C.
Youll need to resit english and another subject in order to get 5 gcses.

Didnt you post this before on the thread, 'i failed' or something???
If your 1 or 2 marks off a c in any subjects you should get them remarked! It will only cost like 20 pounds but then you wont need to retake anything - so you dont waste any time.

Which subjects are you marks off a c? Ill tell you which ones are better getting remarked.
If you hope to take maths and/or physics and even chemistry A level you need good maths skills at GCSE. If you do take this year to improve your GCSE and take other level 2 qualifications I recommend retaking your maths 1. So you keep doing maths and don't get rusty and 2. Hopefully improve your maths to make A level study a smaller step up. An A would be good, an A* would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i agree with taking maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by shohaib712
If your planing on doing alevel physics you need it up to a B for most sixth forms. Try applying to ones that accept lower grades, C.
Youll need to resit english and another subject in order to get 5 gcses.

Didnt you post this before on the thread, 'i failed' or something???

Yeah I did but that was about me failing and people explaining my options and advice. I want to do A levels though so I want advice specific to that if you get what I mean.

Edit: I could have got an A in physics if it wasn't for P3 argh. I had to self teach the content and I had so many exams. Should I revise or teach myself that content was the dilemma? I got an E in P3 in the end otherwise my physics grade would be much better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice. I will think about this too
Yeah I did but that was about me failing and people explaining my options and advice. I want to do A levels though so I want advice specific to that if you get what I mean.

Edit: I could have got an A in physics if it wasn't for P3 argh. I had to self teach the content and I had so many exams. Should I revise or teach myself that content? I got an E in P3 in the end otherwise my physics grade would be much better.

Oh okay. But youll need 5 gcses though
Reply 18
If your 1 or 2 marks off a c in any subjects you should get them remarked! It will only cost like 20 pounds but then you wont need to retake anything - so you dont waste any time.

Which subjects are you marks off a c? Ill tell you which ones are better getting remarked.

I contacted my school about a remark to which I received no response. I was one UMS from a C in English Language.
Reply 19
Oh okay. But youll need 5 gcses though

Yup. I'll probably be resitting some but I'll try to negotiate with a sixth form about letting me to do A level.

Quick Reply

Latest