The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
english, some marathi, some konkani, some british sign language, some japanese and can swear in swahili

Impressive !

I've always wanted to learn a sign language :3
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Impressive !

I've always wanted to learn a sign language :3

cheers Frenchie :smile: sign language is interesting in the sense that it can be useful for deaf patients and mute patients. the only problems with it are a) each country has different sign languages (american vs british has quite a few differences) b) it keeps changing every couple of years c) whilst its helpful to attend classes, sadly the classes spend way too much time teaching basics (what you cover in 4 hours can easily be covered in 50 minutes - 1 hour)
Original post by quasa
cheers Frenchie :smile: sign language is interesting in the sense that it can be useful for deaf patients and mute patients. the only problems with it are a) each country has different sign languages (american vs british has quite a few differences) b) it keeps changing every couple of years c) whilst its helpful to attend classes, sadly the classes spend way too much time teaching basics (what you cover in 4 hours can easily be covered in 50 minutes - 1 hour)

Yes I know, I wanted to learn the French one, but considering I'll probaly won't be leaving in here for long I'll probably go for the American one.
I assume you didn't learn by self teaching ? Because that's what I want to do
English, 3 dialects of Chinese fluently as well as a bit of Korean and Japanese. I also studied French and Spanish but it was only up to GCSE level so that doesn't count
I can speak hindi and numerous dialects of north indian pahari which i cannot count on my fingers ( first langs pahari and hindi),
Sanskrit if that counts and English

I would love to learn french somehow considering how beautiful french girls are :biggrin:
Original post by quasa
english, some marathi, some konkani, some british sign language, some japanese and can swear in swahili

Marathi manus?
Jai Shivaji!
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes I know, I wanted to learn the French one, but considering I'll probaly won't be leaving in here for long I'll probably go for the American one.
I assume you didn't learn by self teaching ? Because that's what I want to do

Id love to know French sign language and see how different francais vs anglais is
Tbh, I wouldn't mind self teaching. Only problem is that in the uk the accreditation system requires to be taught and assessed vs self-taught. Additionally, I'm someone who remembers more if I have been taught self taught for practical things.
Your username :eek:

Spoiler

The thing is, I am bad at almost all practical things, but good with theory and analyzing things. That's why I learn languages easily but have gotten fired from some of most simple jobs.
Original post by robot-unicorn
The thing is, I am bad at almost all practical things, but good with theory and analyzing things. That's why I learn languages easily but have gotten fired from some of most simple jobs.

I see, well that's impressive !
Sorry for the jobs tho :/
I like Languages in general, since I've never really had much friends
I had waaaayy too much free time so I ended up learning a lot of things...
I know:
Malayalam(Native; fluent)
English (fluent)
Japanese (Fluent)
French (Fairly fluent)
German (Conversational)
Russian (Conversational)
Mandarin (Conversational)
Hindi (I can read, write and Understand fairly well)
Tamil (I understand it a bit)
Spanish (Conversational)
Sanskrit (Fairly well)
yeaah...now I'm just trying to improve them with the less amount of time I have and also try to learn arabic one day
I speak fluent German, French, and of course; English.
2 and a 1/4

Urdu English and a slight bit of Welsh

slight
very slight

s l i g h t ...
four
Reply 133
English, Slovenian, Croatian, French, Russian (fairly well), Spanish (well), Czech (I understand it)
One fluently. I have other languages I want to learn though and know bits of other languages

In order of competence: Turkish, Arabic, Italian and Spanish.
I can speak English, French, Hindi and Gujarati fluently and I used to be able to speak Spanish and Irish :smile:
English and French.
Reply 137
I can speak English, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and Arabic fluently
English and French only
I Can speak English Hindi Punjabi n Kashmiri

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending