The Student Room Group

Doing A LEVELS having FAILED GCSEs?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kryptonian
I contacted my school about a remark to which I received no response. I was one UMS from a C in English Language.

Go on the 5th and ask. You need 5 gcses including English or maths or else no sixth form is going to accept you - only if you got 4 gcses and failed either maths/english :/
Why did you not revise? I didnt revise p3 at all lol and still got a B - somehow (1 mark off an A)
Reply 22
Original post by shohaib712
Go on the 5th and ask. You need 5 gcses including English or maths or else no sixth form is going to accept you - only if you got 4 gcses and failed either maths/english :/

Couldn't you negotiate with them?
Couldn't you negotiate with them?

Nope because im not from you school. You should have adressed the problem on results day by asking the teachers - at least try ringing your school and ask for your english teacher/head of english and explain the situation. - do it when the schools open.

I called like 20 times when the school was closed, yet they still managed to pick up :/
Reply 24
Why did you not revise? I didnt revise p3 at all lol and still got a B - somehow (1 mark off an A)

We didn't even learn P3 at all- there was not enough time. We were told to buy revision guides and learn from there. I did have other exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
I got 3 GCSEs in maths (B), chemistry (B) and physics (C).

What do you think about me doing A levels in these 3 subjects too?

A level maths

A level chemistry

A level physics

Any advice?

I'll also be resitting GCSE English Language if my mark doesn't go up by one to make it a grade C.

Edit: I got higher grades in my mocks and I'm sure that the grades I achieved are not what I'm capable of.

If they are the subjects that you enjoy and will put a lot of work into, there's nothing to stop you from passing these A-levels. However, starting from C grade knowledge puts you behind a lot of candidates.
Luckily for you, these three subjects go well together, and a solid revision programme for all three should stand you in good stead.
Get the papers back, and find out why you did worse than the mocks? It would be unfortunate for the same mistakes to occur in A-levels.
Reply 26
Nope because im not from you school. You should have adressed the problem on results day by asking the teachers - at least try ringing your school and ask for your english teacher/head of english and explain the situation. - do it when the schools open.

I called like 20 times when the school was closed, yet they still managed to pick up :/

I was talking about a sixth form but with regards to the remark I did ring them and it went straight to answer machine saying schools closed for summer. I emailed them though. Waiting for a reply...
We didn't even learn P3 at all- there was not enough time. We were told to buy revision guides and learn from there. I did have other exams.

We werent taught it either along with B3 and B2 and i had multiple exams like everyone else who took GCSE'S. You should have been organised and revised instead of leaving it to the last minute - hopefully you wont do tha same mistake again with Alevels
I was talking about a sixth form but with regards to the remark I did ring them and it went straight to answer machine saying schools closed for summer. I emailed them though. Waiting for a reply...

Okay, you xan try negotiating with the sixth form - they might consider you.
Try calling up when your old school opens up :smile:
Yeah I did but that was about me failing and people explaining my options and advice. I want to do A levels though so I want advice specific to that if you get what I mean.

Edit: I could have got an A in physics if it wasn't for P3 argh. I had to self teach the content and I had so many exams. Should I revise or teach myself that content was the dilemma? I got an E in P3 in the end otherwise my physics grade would be much better.

What were the rest of your GCSEs like? Please note that taking 3 (very difficult) A-levels may not be the best idea if you've struggled with 3 GCSEs. I'm not being mean, I'd just hate for you to waste 2 years of your life.
Reply 30
We werent taught it either along with B3 and B2 and i had multiple exams like everyone else who took GCSE'S. You should have been organised and revised instead of leaving it to the last minute - hopefully you wont do tha same mistake again with Alevels

You were not taught it and didn't revise and got a B? Lol.

Biology was worst for me because we had literally 60 supply teachers throughout year 11. When our main teacher left we just kept getting supply teacher every day for the whole of year 11. Behaviour was really bad and nobody was bothered about biology and teachers left quickly. We were basically left to learn unit 2/3 ourselves. I revised and managed to get a D . I was expecting at least a C but oh well. I didn't really like it anyway but I tried. I got Bs in the mocks so something went wrong there. I might resit it though at some point. :smile:
Reply 31
Okay, you xan try negotiating with the sixth form - they might consider you.
Try calling up when your old school opens up :smile:

Yeah thanks. I will ring them then. :-)
Reply 32
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
What were the rest of your GCSEs like? Please note that taking 3 (very difficult) A-levels may not be the best idea if you've struggled with 3 GCSEs. I'm not being mean, I'd just hate for you to waste 2 years of your life.

I sat 8 GCSEs and the ones I didn't pass were mainly grade Ds.
I didn't struggle with maths, chemistry or physics as these are my favourite subjects and I'd love to study them further (i.e at A level) and I did not put in much work to get the grades I did, not for maths or physics anyway. I did some revision for chemistry because our teacher left in December so I needed to catch up so I managed to get a B. I do believe if I work really hard at A level that I can do it because if I believe i can do it I'll put the work in to get there. :-)
Reply 33
I sat 8 GCSEs and the ones I didn't pass were mainly grade Ds.
I didn't struggle with maths, chemistry or physics as these are my favourite subjects and I'd love to study them further (i.e at A level) and I did not put in much work to get the grades I did, not for maths or physics anyway. I did some revision for chemistry because our teacher left in December so I needed to catch up so I managed to get a B. I do believe if I work really hard at A level that I can do it because if I believe i can do it I'll put the work in to get there. :-)

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but if you didn't put much work in for GCSEs, are you certain that you will for A-levels? I guess it depends why you didn't put the work in last time, but a lot of people say they'll work 'x hours a day' and they really don't stick at it
Reply 34
Original post by Ezme39
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but if you didn't put much work in for GCSEs, are you certain that you will for A-levels? I guess it depends why you didn't put the work in last time, but a lot of people say they'll work 'x hours a day' and they really don't stick at it

Yeah I'm certain! :smile:
I did so much better in my mocks. I believe I am capable of doing A levels though. I only messed up in my real GCSE exams

If you believe you can do it you probably can, don't most sixth forms need 5 GCSE's minimum though?
Reply 36
Original post by AngryRedhead
If you believe you can do it you probably can, don't most sixth forms need 5 GCSE's minimum though?

Yeah but I'll have to see how it goes. :smile:
How did you fail all the easier gcses yet manage to do decent on the tougher ones o_0
Reply 38
Original post by SuperHuman98
How did you fail all the easier gcses yet manage to do decent on the tougher ones o_0

Because I like those subjects. Maths, chemistry and physics are my favourite ones. :smile:
Don't wanna sound harsh, but you'll probably f**k up your A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest