The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can I get into a top Uni with these GCSEs?

Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

I'm gutted because I could've easily gotten 12 A*s... And I go to a top grammar school.

At A Level I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths (and Physics or Geography-lemme know which you think would be better) to study Economics or something Political or Financial at University.

LSE, Cambridge, Queen Mary, Kings College London, UCL, Imperial are the ones I would love to go to...

Do I have a chance if I ace my A Levels? I'm worried I can't because I let myself down and go to a grammar school(where everyone did superbly)...

If not these, can I still get into a Russell Group Uni?

Thank you xx
Reply 1
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

I'm gutted because I could've easily gotten 12 A*s... And I go to a top grammar school.

At A Level I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths (and Physics or Geography-lemme know which you think would be better) to study Economics or something Political or Financial at University.

LSE, Cambridge, Queen Mary, Kings College London, UCL, Imperial are the ones I would love to go to...

Do I have a chance if I ace my A Levels? I'm worried I can't because I let myself down and go to a grammar school(where everyone did superbly)...

Thank you xx

Gutted? There is nothing wrong with those grades. Besides. They will mean nothing in a few years.

Cambridge might turn their nose up at you but they're overrated anyway.

I suggest geography as choice 4 as it provides your academic profile a little more breadth than just numbers/science.

I don't know what you are worried about. AS levels are the best indicator of your university performance, not your gcses. Those are more of an evidence of work ethic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

Thank you xx

Yes you can definitely get in as long as you work hard at A level. I got 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's at GCSE, but then got AAAAC at AS and got an offer from Imperial, so there's nothing to worry about with those grades :smile:
Original post by leafyseadragon
Yes you can definitely get in as long as you work hard at A level. I got 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's at GCSE, but then got AAAAC at AS and got an offer from Imperial, so there's nothing to worry about with those grades :smile:

What course are u studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Honestly, yes.

I went to Cambridge for a sixth form law conference, and they told us the same thing every Russell Group university will tell you - yes, GCSEs are important but they also like seeing a progression between GCSEs and A-Levels.

At GCSE, I got;

A* - History
A* - Applied Business [top in exam board]
A* - LLW
A* - RE
A - Law [self taught]
A - English Language
AB - Double Award Science
B - French
C - Maths

and just got accepted to KCL to study Politics, Philosophy and Law. I have plenty of friends who got all As at GCSE and ended up not achieving as well at A-Level, one even dropped out in the January of upper sixth. If you have a good personal statement, work experience, reference and are an all around good candidate - there's no reason why you couldn't get into whatever Russell Group university you wish to apply for.
Man, if you can't get A* in maths gcse Further will be a slap in the face. I thought I was good at maths and ended up dropping it after AS because of how much revision I spent on it.
You can get in fine. Those are good GCSEs. If you want to get into top unis smash AS 90%+ in all your subjects. Seriously if you graft for the grades then you can get in. My biggest regret was not trying hard enough during AS/A2. Underestimated AS because I got 9A* at GCSE without too much effort. WORK REALLY HARD during AS consistently and you can do it! I only really picked my game up towards the end of A2 but by then I wasn't capable of getting what I wanted, if I had grafted earlier I could have! Good luck :wink:

edit: you need to smash interviews too, forgot to mention this! Build up confidence and understanding of your subjects and extra areas of interest. Confidence is vital in an interview, bombed one of my interviews cause I was so nervous :s-smilie: and you can get into a RG easily, just GRAFT cant stress this enough haha. Don't let pressure get to you, don't focus on everyone else at your school, it can be very intimidating. In the end it's about your grades not theirs. Focus on your own work!
(edited 7 years ago)
I got worse and went to UCL with offers from Durham and interview at Oxford.
Your GCSEs are fine to get into Russell Group unis. But tbh if you're not absolutely easily getting an A* at gcse maths then doing further would be ridiculous, even just doing normal maths will be quite challenging. I suspect you're only doing the further cus it looks good when applying for economics however a bunch of good grades in Econ, Maths, Geo and Phys would be much better to apply with than mediocre grades in Econ Maths Further Maths and another.
Unis couldn't care less about GCSE grades. They make offers based on your A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending