The Student Room Group

Paris restaurant refuses to serve Muslim women

Scroll to see replies

If this man was truly racist and an Islamophobe he would have banned all Muslims from his premises years ago. We don't know his background. He might have lost a relative or friend in Nice that day, or somewhere else where there was a terrorist attack. He seems to be reacting in an emotional way,as he said, to recent terrorist attacks in France. It affects people differently. I'm sure if there is never another terrorist attack in France again then in time his opinions will become moderate again. It's human nature to lash out and pick someone to blame when terrible things happen. My grandmother and her generation hated all Germans for many years after WW2 had ended. But eventually people are able to put things behind them and move on. Again, if he has never in the past banned Muslims then he isn't truly racist. Or else it would have been there always.
Reply 41
Original post by 999tigger
Then why have DILCRA and the loacl prosecutors investigating him for racial discrimination?

Because they are morons that think Islam is a race rather than an ideology.
Reply 42
Original post by HAnwar
It's so sad the lengths people will go to defend this man.
You are trying to justify his actions.
If a racist comment was thrown by a man at a black man, would you not agree that man is a racist, or is it just another buzzword to you?
Would you still be asking why I disagree with it?

Discrimination against anyone is wrong, this is something you learn in primary school.
Says a lot about you if you try and defend such actions whatever the reasonings are behind it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Islam = ideology
Black = race

A black person cannot choose his skin color. A Muslim chose his or her ideology.

You are perfectly well allowed to discriminate based on people's opinion.
Reply 43
Original post by teenhorrorstory
This is relevant how?

Call people racists but don't even understand what that means :facepalm:
Original post by inhuman
Call people racists but don't even understand what that means :facepalm:

Huh? I didn't call anyone a racist, nor was the term 'racist' used in the post KingBradley quoted. The poster he quoted rightfully highlighted the difference in responses to blatant discrimination. When a baker refused to bake a cake for a gay customer, people were up in arm calling the baker homophobic and saying the behaviour was unacceptable. But when it's Muslim women being discriminated against, you have people like yourself defending the disgusting behaviour. It's irrelevant whether people choose to be Muslim while no-one chooses to be gay- that doesn't excuse this act of discrimination .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
Islam = ideology
Black = race

A black person cannot choose his skin color. A Muslim chose his or her ideology.

You are perfectly well allowed to discriminate based on people's opinion.

So it is permissible to discriminate against someone of a different political party to you, or against a vegetarian, or someone who supports abortion, or someone who thinks the colour purple is better than pink?
Original post by markova21
If this man was truly racist and an Islamophobe he would have banned all Muslims from his premises years ago. We don't know his background. He might have lost a relative or friend in Nice that day, or somewhere else where there was a terrorist attack. He seems to be reacting in an emotional way,as he said, to recent terrorist attacks in France. It affects people differently. I'm sure if there is never another terrorist attack in France again then in time his opinions will become moderate again. It's human nature to lash out and pick someone to blame when terrible things happen. My grandmother and her generation hated all Germans for many years after WW2 had ended. But eventually people are able to put things behind them and move on. Again, if he has never in the past banned Muslims then he isn't truly racist. Or else it would have been there always.

So much deflecting. Do you think his behaviour is justified and acceptable or not?
Reply 47
Original post by Trapz99
Lol he's an idiot
People are going to stop going to this restaurant as a protest and he'll lose customers. Eventually, he'll have to change or his business will go bust.
Except for all those people who agree with him, and in France, that's quite a lot. The latest polls show traditional-right and far-right parties with a sizable majority of the vote.
Opinion in France is polarising and the movement is mostly one-way.

This is all part of the extremists' plan. They want a far-right government that will introduce draconian anti-Muslim laws, thus hightening social tension and increasing the likelihood of civil conflict.
Disgusting but it's still his right not to associate with Muslims in the premises of his own business.
Original post by QE2
Except for all those people who agree with him, and in France, that's quite a lot. The latest polls show traditional-right and far-right parties with a sizable majority of the vote.
Opinion in France is polarising and the movement is mostly one-way.

This is all part of the extremists' plan. They want a far-right government that will introduce draconian anti-Muslim laws, thus hightening social tension and increasing the likelihood of civil conflict.

France is even worse than I thought
So much deflecting. Do you think his behaviour is justified and acceptable or not?

I don't know. Because I don't know the man's background to make a judgement either way.
Original post by markova21
I don't know. Because I don't know the man's background to make a judgement either way.

You need to know his background before you can decide whether it's acceptable for him to refuse to serve Muslims?
So it is permissible to discriminate against someone of a different political party to you, or against a vegetarian, or someone who supports abortion, or someone who thinks the colour purple is better than pink?

Yes. People should be able to discriminate on whatever basis they want. Someone can choose not to hire me because I have curly hair. A restaurant might refuse to serve me because I'm a liberal.

Private businesses, like private homes, should be free to admit whomever they want.

As a matter of fact, I think markets don't take to discrimination lightly - businesses lose customers when they discriminate mindlessly.

But it's true that right now, with the anti-Islam sentiment in Europe at an all time high, some bigoted businessmen might find a niche market to cater to. So be it. Most businesses won't exclude anyone on the basis of religion or race.
Reply 53
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Do you not think that labelling an opposition with a pejorative in such a way is harmful to constructive discussion?
The whole point of using such terms is to shut down constructive discussion.

Probably because Muslims (and the supporters of other such discriminatory and oppressive ideologies) know that they are on very shaky ground when themselves making accusations of discrimination and oppression. Some members who throw the term around so blithely (including the one making the accusation here) have also variously condoned domestic violence, gender inequality, slavery and killing apostates, adulterers and homosexuals (all under appropriate Islamic conditions of course, they're not monsters!).

The irony is apparent to all with the ability to think critically.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54

Yes.
Reply 55
Original post by HAnwar
There's no discussion to be had, it's clear to see he's a bigot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you weren't calling the owner an Islamophobe. You were pre-emptively calling anyone with a position other than your own, an Islamophobe.

Fundamentally, is his position any different to refusing to allow non-Muslims into Mecca? I would suggest that it is not, considering the reasons for it. Yet you would not label this ban as kaffirophobic, nor those who support it.
So why should your position on the restaurant issue be the opposite?

For the record, I think that any ban or exclusion based on religious belief is wrong, not just the ones that suit my position.
Reply 56
Huh? I didn't call anyone a racist, nor was the term 'racist' used in the post KingBradley quoted. The poster he quoted rightfully highlighted the difference in responses to blatant discrimination. When a baker refused to bake a cake for a gay customer, people were up in arm calling the baker homophobic and saying the behaviour was unacceptable. But when it's Muslim women being discriminated against, you have people like yourself defending the disgusting behaviour. It's irrelevant whether people choose to be Muslim while no-one chooses to be gay- that doesn't excuse this act of discrimination .

Because the person cannot choose to be gay.

And a Muslim could be white black yellow brown...that's not racist.

So yes, if you don't understand the difference, then you don;t know what racism is.

I agree with the last part. But yet people shout "racist" from the rooftop. And just because you discriminate, doesn't mean you are wrong. People discriminate all the time. Every time an interview takes place, do you think people don't discriminate even between white people?
Original post by inhuman
Because the person cannot choose to be gay.

And a Muslim could be white black yellow brown...that's not racist.

So yes, if you don't understand the difference, then you don;t know what racism is.

I agree with the last part. But yet people shout "racist" from the rooftop. And just because you discriminate, doesn't mean you are wrong. People discriminate all the time. Every time an interview takes place, do you think people don't discriminate even between white people?

Where did I call anyone racist??!!!!!
Original post by Dodgypirate
It's his right to ban them, whether he loses customers, that's his problem.

It's not his right to ban them. It's discrimination. A christian couple was forced to pay $13,000 fine for refusing to host lesbian wedding on their farm lose appeal. The fine was based on discriminatory grounds.
Reply 59
Where did I call anyone racist??!!!!!

Most people in this thread did.

You like everyone of those people displayed a lack of knowledge on what is racism. Not to mention every muppet on here who thinks the gay/lesbian scenario is the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending