The Student Room Group

Worried about starting A-Levels

I star my A-Levels on Monday and am bricking it right now. I chose:
-Psychology
-Biology
-Chemistry

I've heard Chemistry is nigh impossible and that biology is based on how much you can remember (for me that's not a lot). I also know that unlike GCSE you have to lots of extra research and reading around your topic. I like video games and I know education takes priority so it makes me sad in the knowledge that I'll be spending a lot of my time reading articles and magazines. Any advice would be appreciated. Also what is the best way to manage your time?
Original post by turtleback
-Psychology
-Biology
-Chemistry

I've heard Chemistry is nigh impossible and that biology is based on how much you can remember (for me that's not a lot). I also know that unlike GCSE you have to lots of extra research and reading around your topic. I like video games and I know education takes priority so it makes me sad in the knowledge that I'll be spending a lot of my time reading articles and magazines. Any advice would be appreciated. Also what is the best way to manage your time?

I'm just about to start my A2 year and I'm doing both biology and chemistry. Yes they're tough subjects and there's a significant increase in work load. Some people find there to be a very big jump from GCSE to AS but personally I didn't think it was that bad. Basically you're not spoon fed at A level. Personally I found that chemistry was hard at the start but gets easier and biology is the opposite as they leave the harder concepts towards the end of the year. Biology is also very content heavy so you have to always constantly review work to make sure your retain all the information.
I'd say to just not cram and make revision resources throughout the year. This avoids the horror of having to face the whole spec at once and realising there's too much to cover and you haven't got enough time.
Get on top of chemistry in Y12. What I realized too late with A levels is that you can be as selfish as you want. If you don't understand something, get your teacher to explain it to you. If you still don't understand make them explain it again. You can be as annoying as you like cus that's their job and you're gone in two years anyway hehe.

Try to make notes as you go along (maybe after each chapter/before each test?) - this doesn't really take much time and it really helps to consolidate past work. Then throughout the year just occasionally glace through your notes to remind yourself of things u may have forgot, even if it's not applicable to what you're doing right now (this doesn't take much time and it's rly impressive when u remember random stuff).

Tbh Y12 you don't have to study too hard, just keep on top of things you've already done. There's still sooooo much time to do other school activities - make the most of it, cus in Y13 you definitely won't!
Reply 3
Yes I'm worried too! I'm starting on Thursday and I'm doing Spanish, sociology and media tbh I'm worried mainly with Spanish (because I have heard the jump from GCSE to A level is big) and media (as I have only just decided to take it) if anyone has any advice or has/is doing any of those subjects could you please tell me what they're like and how you've found them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123moon
Yes I'm worried too! I'm starting on Thursday and I'm doing Spanish, sociology and media tbh I'm worried mainly with Spanish (because I have heard the jump from GCSE to A level is big) and media (as I have only just decided to take it) if anyone has any advice or has/is doing any of those subjects could you please tell me what they're like and how you've found them

I'm doing Spanish as well! I'm really scared for it, but so far the best advice that I got about doing it is to listen to Spanish radio stations, watch cartoons in Spanish and then move onto movies in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. I think this will be very useful to get used to hearing the language and with the understanding and pronunciation of words. I would also recommend to make tiny flash cards for vocab- these have been a treasure through GCSE :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by natalijka09
I'm doing Spanish as well! I'm really scared for it, but so far the best advice that I got about doing it is to listen to Spanish radio stations, watch cartoons in Spanish and then move onto movies in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. I think this will be very useful to get used to hearing the language and with the understanding and pronunciation of words. I would also recommend to make tiny flash cards for vocab- these have been a treasure through GCSE :smile:

Oh thank you so much! 😊 I will start watching more Spanish films and going over the basics. Good luck for September. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
[QUOTE=LDS16;67278946I'm doing AQA for the exam board though, which one(s) are you doing?

I think AQA also
Reply 7
"there's a significant increase in work load."

With the extra research, how do you know what to look up?Also how much work would you suggest per day? I don't get home until around 5 so I have a few hours. Did you manage to balance free time and studying well, or was it heavily favoured in studying?
Reply 8
Relax, there are plenty of great resources online
You don't have to go beyond the curriculum and read articles and magazines and do lots of extra research even if u want A*. It's a waste of time unless you're genuinely interested in the subject and want to do it at uni
I didn't do any of that, just go through each point on the specification and make your own notes on them, do all the past papers and ask your teacher to help u out if you don't feel confident about a particular topic or go to lunchtime revision sessions
You don't have to quit gaming, just don't let it interfere with your revision
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by turtleback
-Psychology
-Biology
-Chemistry

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197729
Reply 10

Thank you, that was really useful

Quick Reply

Latest