The Student Room Group

For A Level Further maths, FP3, M3 or S3?

Just a little background, I'm just going into Y13 and for the Y12 AS's I did really well on D1 and S1 but hated them both. Still did quite well on M1 and FP1 and loved them both - probs prefer M1 though (I do physics which I think makes it easier)

I'm definitely learning S3 cus it's timetabled in so I might as well sit it, even though statistics doesn't really interest me at all. I was just wondering other peoples experiences with M3 and FP3. Like if I could only learn one then which one?

I plan to apply to uni for maths :smile:)
Reply 1
I assume you mean AQA. FP3 was fine, there's only a few topics and the content isn't too difficult, theres just sometimes a few tricky exam qs.

I heard bad things from my peers about M3, but the grade boundaries did plummet this year so idk
Original post by carolinehj
Just a little background, I'm just going into Y13 and for the Y12 AS's I did really well on D1 and S1 but hated them both. Still did quite well on M1 and FP1 and loved them both - probs prefer M1 though (I do physics which I think makes it easier)

I'm definitely learning S3 cus it's timetabled in so I might as well sit it, even though statistics doesn't really interest me at all. I was just wondering other peoples experiences with M3 and FP3. Like if I could only learn one then which one?

Hi i'm on a similar boat as you (only that I find the further pure modules more interesting). Have you looked into the topics in each module?

M3 is awful (except dimensional analysis) and this year I can confidently say AQA MM03 was the worst exam anybody could take - nobody on the student room or that I know finished it

FP3 is probably best if you're applying for maths - especially if you're applying to a top uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Rabadon
I assume you mean AQA. FP3 was fine, there's only a few topics and the content isn't too difficult, theres just sometimes a few tricky exam qs.

I heard bad things from my peers about M3, but the grade boundaries did plummet this year so idk

Sorry forgot to mention I'm doing edexcel :smile: I've heard lots of horror stories about M3 but then FP3 has never been taught before at my school. Tbh I'd probs be alright self learning but it's nice to have solid support with the course. One of my friends who went on to study physics at Cambridge dropped M3 for S3 hahaha. In class we were looking at the grade bounderies for all the modules this year, and I think FP3, M3 and S3 were all the fricken highest cus only smart people sit them ffs.

Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi i'm on a similar boat as you (only that I find the further pure modules more interesting). Have you looked into the topics in each module?

Yh I got each textbook out the library, studied M2 over summer which I really enjoyed, then recently had a flick through the M3 textbook and had a mini heart attack. I'd probs find M3 more interesting, but a lot harder, and FP3 easier but more boring. The impression of FP3 I've got so far is that it's like an extension of FP1 with some C4 thrown in.

Original post by ValerieKR
M3 is awful (except dimensional analysis) and this year I can confidently say AQA MM03 was the worst exam anybody could take - nobody on the student room or that I know finished it

FP3 is probably best if you're applying for maths - especially if you're applying to a top uni.

True, I'm doing edexcel but the same probably applies. I'm going for pretty competitive unis so FP3 would probs help me more once I got there, but I'm pretty sure I'd be fine learning it over summer. (Also the FP3 textbook is fricken massive)
Reply 5
FP3 is probably easier to self teach with a good book, if your teaching situation is crap. It's also more fun.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
FP3 is probably easier to self teach with a good book, if your teaching situation is crap. It's also more fun.

Yh it's pretty crap ngl - I wouldn't say my Y12 marks were cus of the 'in lesson' work tbh. I've got great resources though so it's not rly a problem.

Does anyone thinking learning both is a viable option or would that just be far too much? The problem is I can only start learning FP3 after I've done C4 cus I need some of the C4 content, so that means waiting till Christmas to be able to learn FP3, whilst theoretically I could start learning M3 right away.
Sorry forgot to mention I'm doing edexcel :smile: I've heard lots of horror stories about M3 but then FP3 has never been taught before at my school. Tbh I'd probs be alright self learning but it's nice to have solid support with the course. One of my friends who went on to study physics at Cambridge dropped M3 for S3 hahaha. In class we were looking at the grade bounderies for all the modules this year, and I think FP3, M3 and S3 were all the fricken highest cus only smart people sit them ffs.

Yh I got each textbook out the library, studied M2 over summer which I really enjoyed, then recently had a flick through the M3 textbook and had a mini heart attack. I'd probs find M3 more interesting, but a lot harder, and FP3 easier but more boring. The impression of FP3 I've got so far is that it's like an extension of FP1 with some C4 thrown in.

True, I'm doing edexcel but the same probably applies. I'm going for pretty competitive unis so FP3 would probs help me more once I got there, but I'm pretty sure I'd be fine learning it over summer. (Also the FP3 textbook is fricken massive)

This is a tough one! I mean if you are looking to get a higher UMS score in a FM module ( if you find it easier you are likely to better in it) then out of the two FP3 would be the best option. However if you are looking to actually challenge yourself and problem solve (which is I think you and I both know is a necessity for a Maths degree) then M3 would be the better option. If my sixth form offers M3 as an option i'll probably take it with FP2 and another applied module. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
This is a tough one! I mean if you are looking to get a higher UMS score in a FM module ( if you find it easier you are likely to better in it) then out of the two FP3 would be the best option. However if you are looking to actually challenge yourself and problem solve (which is I think you and I both know is a necessity for a Maths degree) then M3 would be the better option. If my sixth form offers M3 as an option i'll probably take it with FP2 and another applied module. :smile:

That's true I'd probs get a better score at FP3 lol (M3 might require using ur brain lmao), and FP3 is probs more useful for a maths degree.

But also, if I prefer mechanics to further pure, do you think that shows that I'd be better suited to engineering? I'm really not sure which one to go for right now ugh. I've heard some things like maths degrees are just about boring geometric proofs etc, instead of actually working stuff out. So conflicted right now

Hi, I did Edexcel Further Maths this year, and so I did FP2, FP3 and M3

If you had to choose between them, I think M3 is easier and more easily learnable. There are more past papers, fewer topics and less content than FP3, and its generally easier (to me). The content seems very hard initially in M3, but once you 'get' it, it is very doable. With FP3, more of the context is instinctively easier to learn, but once you start doing papers and stuff, it easily slips out.

Both are equally 'useful' for a maths or physics degree probably.
Original post by alevelstresss
Hi, I did Edexcel Further Maths this year, and so I did FP2, FP3 and M3

If you had to choose between them, I think M3 is easier and more easily learnable. There are more past papers, fewer topics and less content than FP3, and its generally easier (to me). The content seems very hard initially in M3, but once you 'get' it, it is very doable. With FP3, more of the context is instinctively easier to learn, but once you start doing papers and stuff, it easily slips out.

Both are equally 'useful' for a maths or physics degree probably.

Thanks for the advice :smile: it would be such a shame to give up M3 when I love mechanics so much. To be honest I might just end up doing both as well :biggrin: :biggrin: . And I sympathize completely, I learnt the hyperbolics chapter of FP3 over summer and I can't remember a word of it anymore hahaha.
That's true I'd probs get a better score at FP3 lol (M3 might require using ur brain lmao), and FP3 is probs more useful for a maths degree.

But also, if I prefer mechanics to further pure, do you think that shows that I'd be better suited to engineering? I'm really not sure which one to go for right now ugh. I've heard some things like maths degrees are just about boring geometric proofs etc, instead of actually working stuff out. So conflicted right now
I remember looking at the responses of some engineering undergraduates (don't remember the threads) and they say that you have to really enjoy maths to do the course. Although they didn't specify which applied module is useful I reckon M3 would correlate more to engineers than say S3, D2 etc.

Quick Reply

Latest