The Student Room Group

So the new fastest production car is electric (not to mention a 4 door saloon)...

...how does any company still making petrol-based cars still have a share price?

Link to Tesla website below. In short: 0-60 in 2.5s, 4 doors and a boot, more than $100,000 dollars but equivalent petrol super cars are $1,000,000+ and there are budget models on the way.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla-model-s-now-quickest-production-car-world

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
...how does any company still making petrol-based cars still have a share price?

Link to Tesla website below. In short: 0-60 in 2.5s, 4 doors and a boot, more than $100,000 dollars but equivalent petrol super cars are $1,000,000+ and there are budget models on the way.

It'll take a while for consumer habits to change. Electric cars are moving closer to being able to replicate what internal combustion ones can offer in terms of price, convenience, range and style. And as with any new technology, there are probably bottlenecks in terms of not being a strong enough supply chain yet to supply enough components to allow for a sufficient volume of electric cars to be manufactured compared to internal combustion ones.

Hopefully we will see more and more manufacturers put out electric models. And hopefully they're not styled after crazy Japanese concept cars.

Not even close to the fastest production car, not to mention that these green cars require a f*ck tonne of emissions to create.
I'm not against electric cars, but they're not really as good/clean as people seem to think.
Electric cars don't "feel" as good to drive at high speeds because they're a lot lighter and have less momentum, plus the sound isn't as pleasing as a V12 petrol engine like the Ferrari F12 which by the way does 0-60 in just 3.0 seconds and I'm sure it has a greater top speed than any Tesla, and it's Β£200,000 so quite far from that million-dollar price point. Also there's the previously mentioned point that opinions change slowly, especially when it concerns a big international market. So petrol cars are here to stay
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Electric cars don't "feel" as good to drive at high speeds because they're a lot lighter

I hope you mean lighter in the feel of the steering, because weight wise, electric cars are heavier than their petrol counterparts. The Tesla model S weighs about as much as the current Range Rover

As for the OP... it's the new QUICKEST production car.

Fastest = speed.
Quickest = acceleration.
As someone with a Tesla, one thing for sure, if you keep doing that you would be needing to push that thing home unless you happen to be by a supercharger, to which there still aren't that many about even in electric car very friendly Norway.

While the same can be true for many supercars that are actually incredibly thirsty even without flooring it.

While these types of speeds and acceleration can be done, do it once in a while and all is fine, however if you start doing that everyday you will find that your drive train and suspension parts will wear off rather quickly, these cars do have rather sensitive bearings at just about everywhere and replacements aren't cheap even when compared with an Audi or BMW.

Batteries do have a "lifespan" and all you saved on fuel will end up going towards replacing the battery.

I've taken mine from Bergen to Zurich, it can be done but will require some planning as you need to be within range of a supercharger should the battery go weak. Home or standard electric car chargers take too long a wait.

High speed, actually it does feel very stable and composed and it certainly can be a test lab of which tyres are the noisiest.

Will it ever replace standard petrol powered cars? Not yet and not anytime soon. It however has laid down the groundwork for majority of cars in future to be some form of a hybrid.

Would I buy another fully electric car? This is my 2nd Tesla and when it is time to replace it, I certainly would buy another one but it certainly won't be my only car.
There are loads fo cars that go quicker than that for less!
BMW E60 M5 Β£20,000 = 204MPH
Dodge Challenger/Charger Hellcat = Β£40,000 = 707bhp = 204mph!

Tesla Model S P100 Top Speed = 155mph for Β£100,000

Id rather stick with a Mazda RX7 which can be upgraded to above those stats for less money than the Tesla!

And the Porsche 918 does 0-60 in 2.2s anyway so thats the fastest accelerating production car :wink:

Equivalent petrol cars cost way less btw! Do some research and then come back!
And $1,000,000 really!? What planet are you on?!
A Nissan GTR costs less than Β£100k and goes faster so yeah...
Original post by FireFreezer77

Id rather stick with a Mazda RX7 which can be upgraded to above those stats for less money than the Tesla!

And the Porsche 918 does 0-60 in 2.2s anyway so thats the fastest accelerating production car :wink:

OP doesn't have the slightest clue lol
Original post by cbreef
OP doesn't have the slightest clue lol

Haha thats exactly what i thought!

So do you think my stuff is correct, or at least more accurate?
Haha thats exactly what i thought!

So do you think my stuff is correct, or at least more accurate?

Absolutely. Although, one thing.
Supercars are slower these days from 5 - 60 than they are from 0 - 60mph. Can you guess why?
Original post by cbreef
Absolutely. Although, one thing.
Supercars are slower these days from 5 - 60 than they are from 0 - 60mph. Can you guess why?

Wow thanks man! Appreciated!
Is it something to do with weight or Turbo Lag?
No Turbo lag would affect the 0-60.
Hmm ill kick myself when you tell me, what is it?
Wow thanks man! Appreciated!
Is it something to do with weight or Turbo Lag?
No Turbo lag would affect the 0-60.
Hmm ill kick myself when you tell me, what is it?

Launch control.
Reply 12
Original post by Alfissti
As someone with a Tesla, one thing for sure, if you keep doing that you would be needing to push that thing home unless you happen to be by a supercharger, to which there still aren't that many about even in electric car very friendly Norway.

While the same can be true for many supercars that are actually incredibly thirsty even without flooring it.

While these types of speeds and acceleration can be done, do it once in a while and all is fine, however if you start doing that everyday you will find that your drive train and suspension parts will wear off rather quickly, these cars do have rather sensitive bearings at just about everywhere and replacements aren't cheap even when compared with an Audi or BMW.

Batteries do have a "lifespan" and all you saved on fuel will end up going towards replacing the battery.

I've taken mine from Bergen to Zurich, it can be done but will require some planning as you need to be within range of a supercharger should the battery go weak. Home or standard electric car chargers take too long a wait.

High speed, actually it does feel very stable and composed and it certainly can be a test lab of which tyres are the noisiest.

Will it ever replace standard petrol powered cars? Not yet and not anytime soon. It however has laid down the groundwork for majority of cars in future to be some form of a hybrid.

Would I buy another fully electric car? This is my 2nd Tesla and when it is time to replace it, I certainly would buy another one but it certainly won't be my only car.

Very insightful thank you.

I honestly think that if there were any sense in the world electric, or at least hybrid, would be the only production now outside of racing. There should be supercharger ports everywhere, yet somehow not.

Sadly we add a species are slow to change and of course all hail the marketing department, which will probably keep these dinosaurs alive for a couple more decades.

Acceleration, not top speed. If you'd read the link that would be obvious to you. I'm clearly not suggesting a direct race between a saloon and a car built for racing...

There are two production petrol cats that are quicker to 60 but you can no longer buy either.

I honestly think that if there were any sense in the world electric, or at least hybrid, would be the only production now outside of racing. There should be supercharger ports everywhere, yet somehow not.

Sadly we add a species are slow to change and of course all hail the marketing department, which will probably keep these dinosaurs alive for a couple more decades.

Acceleration, not top speed. If you'd read the link that would be obvious to you. I'm clearly not suggesting a direct race between a saloon and a car built for racing...

There are two production petrol cats that are quicker to 60 but you can no longer buy either.

2.5s is only their quoted time. I'd love to see it go without launch control.
I'm sorry, but petrol powered cars are still faster, cheaper, more reliable, more fun etc.
Whilst I do believe the future belongs to electric cars, they are still inferior atm.
EDIT: These cars @FireFreezer77 has talked about are not built for racing....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
Launch control.

Ahh that makes perfect sense!
Damn how did i not think of that!
Well done sir!

Hence why i stated that the Porsche is quicker!
I never mentioned a car built for racing... Do some research

*cars
Why cant you buy either? They still exist, its not like theyve vanished from the earth. Cars dont disappear when you sell them
Original post by cbreef
2.5s is only their quoted time. I'd love to see it go without launch control.
I'm sorry, but petrol powered cars are still faster, cheaper, more reliable, more fun etc.
Whilst I do believe the future belongs to electric cars, they are still inferior atm.
EDIT: These cars @FireFreezer77 has talked about are not built for racing....

Thanks man!
I never mentioned racing cars so idk what hes on about!
Just wait for the Rimac Concept One, it will blitz anything else electric or petrol!

It boils down to cost.

The hardware required to set up a Tesla supercharger station cost upward of US$5mil for 8 ports and that is before land acquisition cost. It will cost even more if you also include the hardware to do a battery swap.

That kind of prices, one could buy enough hardware to set up 4 petrol stations with 8 pumps in England and still have change leftover.

Eventually there would also need to be upgrades to power generation infrastructure as supposing everyone with a car in London decides to change to an electric car, the power grid won't be able to cope and there would be blackouts on a daily basis.
Original post by cbreef
Not even close to the fastest production car, not to mention that these green cars require a f*ck tonne of emissions to create.
I'm not against electric cars, but they're not really as good/clean as people seem to think.

Which car exactly is clean and CO2 free to produce? Pray tell.

Quick Reply

Latest