The Student Room Group

How big are investment banks on A Level Grades?

I got ABBB (due to extenuating circumstances), and if i take my best 3 grades forward, i got 320 UCAS points. Going to study chemical engineering at Sheffield and hopefully get into investment banking. But are A levels a massive deciding factor for investment banks? Or am I in the same boat as someone with, say AAA or A*AA in terms of getting an interview? In other words, do banks care what you got for A Levels as long as we get the minimum UCAS point requirements? I know that i need at least a 2.1 degree too but with no massive personal problems anymore, i should be able to put my head down fully
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nomi2812
I got ABBB (due to extenuating circumstances), and if i take my best 3 grades forward, i got 320 UCAS points. Going to study chemical engineering at Sheffield and hopefully get into investment banking. But are A levels a massive deciding factor for investment banks? Or am I in the same boat as someone with, say AAA or A*AA in terms of getting an interview? In other words, do banks care what you got for A Levels as long as we get the minimum UCAS point requirements? I know that i need at least a 2.1 degree too but with no massive personal problems anymore, i should be able to put my head down fully

As long as you hit the minimum for banks that have a minimum (there seems to be a departure from them at some banks e.g. Goldman, and maybe Barclay's), you should be fine.

Of course, front office IB is very competitive so you would be at a relative disadvantage to someone with As/A*s but it's not the be all nor end all Sheffield is as well may put you at a slight disadvantage not being traditionally targeted but still more than doable (have friends who have done alright from there).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
As long as you hit the minimum for banks that have a minimum (there seems to be a departure from them at some banks e.g. Goldman, and maybe Barclay's), you should be fine.

Of course, front office IB is very competitive so you would be at a relative disadvantage to someone with As/A*s but it's not the be all nor end all Sheffield is as well may put you at a slight disadvantage not being traditionally targeted but still more than doable (have friends who have done alright from there).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where can i find the minimum grades that banks look for? Do you know the minimum grade requirements for some banks?
Where can i find the minimum grades that banks look for? Do you know the minimum grade requirements for some banks?

Their website/HR.

UBS is 300
JPM is 320
MS is 320 but it's not strict
Lazard is 340 (also not strict)
Citi I believe is 320
RBS is 360

Not sure about others but some don't have any minimums

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highly doubt that. You can get into UCL and Warwick with those grades.
Original post by Armpits
Highly doubt that. You can get into UCL and Warwick with those grades.

Doubt what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

ABBB would produce a disadvantage
Original post by Armpits
ABBB would produce a disadvantage

'relative'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Didn't you say you knew someone from Sheffield who got AAC and has 3 weeks of spring internships? What bank offered him the internship?
Didn't you say you knew someone from Sheffield who got AAC and has 3 weeks of spring internships? What bank offered him the internship?

Will have to be via PM, he doesn't want to broadcast it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Will have to be via PM, he doesn't want to broadcast it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I PMd you but you didn't reply. Id just like to meet him or talk to him is all
I PMd you but you didn't reply. Id just like to meet him or talk to him is all

Oh my bad, didn't get the PM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh my bad, didn't get the PM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just sent you another one :smile:. All help is appreciated

Quick Reply