The Student Room Group

Child abuse a religious right?

Everyone focuses on Islam but never Judaism. Scared of being called anti-semetic?

Male circumcision. Mutilating boys penises by cutting off the foreskin. Why isn't there more people against this? in America it seems to be so common that most non-Jewish people even have it done.

Metzitzah b'peh, or oral suction is where Rabbi's suck the blood out of a babies circumcised penis. This is not only disturbing to most people, but has also caused babies to contract herpes.

Is that a religious right? it happens every day in Britain too. Nobody talks about it.

We need a foreskins matter movement.

Scroll to see replies

is this really the place for this discussion

least but a CW on that **** christ
The reason everybody is focusing on Islam and not Judaism is because there is seldom any terrorism or aggression from Jews as a religious group (and no, Israel isn't a Jewish State, and even if it was, it's hardly a terrorist state).
Reply 3
Original post by TercioOfParma
and no, Israel isn't a Jewish State

Israel is a Jewish state.
Reply 4
Original post by Mathemagicien
I don't see why religion should be sufficient reason to put youngsters under the knife.

Of course you don't see, because you are not religious.
Original post by Not Amused
Everyone focuses on Islam but never Judaism. Scared of being called anti-semetic?

Male circumcision. Mutilating boys penises by cutting off the foreskin. Why isn't there more people against this?

There have been many threads on the issue of routine male circumcision, with most having a clear majority opposed to the practice at least in principle. The Model House of Commons even passed a bill banning it by a sizable margin.

As it happens, this isn't a point of difference between Islam and Judaism; most Islamic sects either mandate or strongly recommend it.
Original post by admonit
Of course you don't see, because you are not religious.
No, because he has basic morals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The reason everybody is focusing on Islam and not Judaism is because there is seldom any terrorism or aggression from Jews as a religious group (and no, Israel isn't a Jewish State, and even if it was, it's hardly a terrorist state).

Israel is a Jewish state, but I agree that it is not a terrorist state,
Reply 8
I don't see what your problem with this is? Circumcision won't really cause the child any harm when done in the normal fashion. This method is not the one that is usually practised by the vast majority of Jews and there are safer methods of performing the oral suction method which do not cause herpes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Terry Tibbs
No, because he has basic morals.

Religious people don't have basic morale? :cool:
and even if it was, it's hardly a terrorist state).

I guess it depends on which side of an Israeli tank / fighter jet / riffle you are standing?

And for a bit of balance, I think it fair to say that in the War on Terror, we have probably induced more terror on the populations of the countries we have invaded in recent years than we have experienced for ourselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
I don't see what your problem with this is? Circumcision won't really cause the child any harm when done in the normal fashion. This method is not the one that is usually practised by the vast majority of Jews and there are safer methods of performing the oral suction method which do not cause herpes.
But the child has no choice in the matter. If they want to do it when they're 18 then that's fine, but it's genital mutilation and therefore child abuse.

Original post by admonit
Israel is a Jewish state.

i love it when israelis disagree with stupid british israeli apologists
Of course, all religions should be held accountable for their barbaric practices. But for the record, Metzitzah b'peh is only practiced by a very miniscule minority of Haredim.
I've always been an advocate for the prohibiton of infant male circumcision - it's clearly against so many modern notions of what rights human beings deserve, down to freedom of religion *and* bodily integrity.
good question, OP. the tide is shifting away from religious rights toward human rights, and as such it isn't long before halal/kosher slaughter and circumcision (for non medical reasons) are prohibited in most western countries.
No matter how much we spend our time on here saying ooo it's so wrong at the end of the day it's their belief and they're not gonna be changing it anytime soon
My life has been absolutely ruined by my parents having had me circumsized as a child. I have no friends, women don't want me, and I always feel shame at my mutilation when I take a shower. It has absolutely affected me in every single possible way detrimentally.

- Nobody ever
Many non-religious people have circumcision done for medical purposes. And the majority of circumcisions are done properly, just as the majority of abortions aren't done with coat hangers any more.

Original post by Trapz99
Israel is a Jewish state, but I agree that it is not a terrorist state,

Palestine may disagree.
Original post by alexschmalex
My life has been absolutely ruined by my parents having had me circumsized as a child. I have no friends, women don't want me, and I always feel shame at my mutilation when I take a shower. It has absolutely affected me in every single possible way detrimentally.

- Nobody ever

wow

you think that the only good reason to ban something is when it "ruins a person's life"? you don't think about these kinds of questions a lot do you? I mean, if robbery didn't ruin your life, should it still be allowed on that principle? what about battery/bodily harm? what about non-violent rape? is it all relative to the extent to which it "ruins your life"? so if I destroyed your home, and it technically didn't "ruin" your life, then you wouldn't expect the government to find the person who did it and punish them and conpensate you? I mean, this is *literally* the reasoning you're using above.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending