The Student Room Group

Do you buy CDs?

Does anyone still buy CDs?

I feel like i only know of 3 people who still do (myself included). Having a CD makes me feel like i actually own the music and it makes it more of a collection to me. Just downloading music feels totally wrong and buying it online seems pointless considering you can easily get it for free.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I have around 70 in my collection at the moment :smile:
Sometimes. I mainly use spotify tho if I wanna listen to music because it's free
Reply 3
Oh please, we ain't got no Ps
Because we spent all our money on some old CDs
We got some old Jay Zs, couple ODBs,
Place 'em up in perfect order coz my OCD
Reply 4
Lol no
Original post by Marked Target
Having a CD makes me feel like i actually own the music and it makes it more of a collection to me.

That's called marketing.

Owning plastic and metal doesn't mean you own the music, even if the plastic and metal is very nicely designed :smile:
Original post by catinsomehat
That's called marketing.

Owning plastic and metal doesn't mean you own the music, even if the plastic and metal is very nicely designed :smile:

Yeah, I know I don't "own" the music (as in the rights to it). However, having a stack of CDs feels far more like ownership to me than scrolling down a long list on a computer screen.

Its the same reason id choose to buy a book over an ebook. Maybe I'm just an old fogey.
Yeah I have all the great rock band CDs.

You can't beat a good old CD.
Yes. There is nothing like the smell of a brand new CD.
That's called marketing.

You're completely missing the point of a collection. It's not necessarily about the monetary value of the item, nor the data on the CD, but the act of owning the artefact which has value to the collector. I could easily spend a lot less on music by buying digital downloads but I get a lot less enjoyment from that. I'm getting to a point where I may start to buy multiple copies of some things so I have "mint condition" ones to sell when they become more valuable to other people.
I still buy CDs for bands I like.
I still buy CD's and listen songs online. Also I totally get what you mean by choosing a book over Ebook, i thought it was just me.
yeah i do
Original post by Manitude
You're completely missing the point of a collection. It's not necessarily about the monetary value of the item, nor the data on the CD, but the act of owning the artefact which has value to the collector. I could easily spend a lot less on music by buying digital downloads but I get a lot less enjoyment from that. I'm getting to a point where I may start to buy multiple copies of some things so I have "mint condition" ones to sell when they become more valuable to other people.

I still don't understand and probably never will :biggrin:

I could call it silly because I just want to enjoy the songs and it just feels like it's for people that have a hoarding mentality but if it makes you happy that's cool :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
I still buy CDs so I can get lossless audio. The quality of most downloads/streaming is pretty rubbish, though it's okay for listening to bands I don't like enough to buy an album from. :p:
I still buy CDs and I won't buy anything less than 320. What's the best itunes puts out? 256? Naaaah!
I bought a handful of CDs recently but only for German music. I do own 2 English albums as well and that's all :tongue:
I still don't understand and probably never will :biggrin:

I could call it silly because I just want to enjoy the songs and it just feels like it's for people that have a hoarding mentality but if it makes you happy that's cool :smile:

IT's the same mentality as a stamp collection, only by making the collection you also get music to listen to an enjoy. I rip all of my music to my computer so I get the same product as a digital download PLUS a physical thing for my collection.
i have like this thing in my car ? where you can slide in a CD ?
Original post by Marked Target
Does anyone still buy CDs?

I feel like i only know of 3 people who still do (myself included). Having a CD makes me feel like i actually own the music and it makes it more of a collection to me. Just downloading music feels totally wrong and buying it online seems pointless considering you can easily get it for free.

Yes I love CDs.

With my speakers, they play CDs at a better quality than any other digital format

CDs are a "Mastered" Technology, you put them in and they work, simple as. It doesn't matter if you lose your internet connection or your spotify account, the CD will always work

Genre-specific mixes like the Reggae Anthems and Deep House Euphoria have like 60+ songs for less than a tenner, for me to go on the internet and download an epic mix like that illegally it would take hours. I'd rather just pay for a CD

Sean of the Dead showed me a creative way to kill zombies with them

Quick Reply

Latest