The Student Room Group

Question about withdrawing from first year and reapplying via UCAS?

Hi everyone, I've read the FAQ's but I couldn't find the specific answers I was looking for with regards to my situation:

I finished (June 2016) my first year of Mathematics at a London university with a 2:2 and I'd like to withdraw and apply to LSE Economics this year, so to start in September 2017. However, I have a few questions on things I am not too clear about:

1. If I am taking a year out to create a new UCAS application, will I need to put in my personal statement that I have already done a year at another university and can this be used against me in the application process?

2. I read that for *transfers* universities will usually require a minimum of a 2:1, for example, whether you are transferring to second or first year. Will this still be the case if you take a year out to start a new UCAS application from scratch?

3. Is it advised to write in the PS what you are planning to do in the year out?

4. Are they likely to ask for a transcript of your results if you are reapplying but not transferring?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by zaneminosti
Hi everyone, I've read the FAQ's but I couldn't find the specific answers I was looking for with regards to my situation:

I finished (June 2016) my first year of Mathematics at a London university with a 2:2 and I'd like to withdraw and apply to LSE Economics this year, so to start in September 2017. However, I have a few questions on things I am not too clear about:

1. If I am taking a year out to create a new UCAS application, will I need to put in my personal statement that I have already done a year at another university and can this be used against me in the application process?
You need to include the details in the education section. You don't need to talk about it in your personal statement unless you want to, and if you do mention it then anything must be positive. So you could menton topics that you particularly enjoyed, but don't say you're leaving because you hated X.
Unis might consider this or they might not care. But if you omit it they will find out, and that would get your application cancelled.

2. I read that for *transfers* universities will usually require a minimum of a 2:1, for example, whether you are transferring to second or first year. Will this still be the case if you take a year out to start a new UCAS application from scratch?
Probably not, but this is up to the uni to decide.

3. Is it advised to write in the PS what you are planning to do in the year out?
If it's relevant, yes. If it is irrelevant or not actually fixed (eg I am planning to apply for...) then don't bother.

4. Are they likely to ask for a transcript of your results if you are reapplying but not transferring?
Completely depends on the uni and subject. But you've told them your results in the education section, so why does it matter? If they ask they just see proof of what you've already told them - you're not stupid enough to lie, are you?
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You need to include the details in the education section. You don't need to talk about it in your personal statement unless you want to, and if you do mention it then anything must be positive. So you could menton topics that you particularly enjoyed, but don't say you're leaving because you hated X.
Unis might consider this or they might not care. But if you omit it they will find out, and that would get your application cancelled.

Probably not, but this is up to the uni to decide.

If it's relevant, yes. If it is irrelevant or not actually fixed (eg I am planning to apply for...) then don't bother.

Completely depends on the uni and subject. But you've told them your results in the education section, so why does it matter? If they ask they just see proof of what you've already told them - you're not stupid enough to lie, are you?

Regarding number 4, I was talking more specfically about the results of the first year of university rather than from A-levels and GCSE as I know many who have reapplied without stating such.
Reply 3
Original post by zaneminosti
Regarding number 4, I was talking more specfically about the results of the first year of university rather than from A-levels and GCSE as I know many who have reapplied without stating such.

Yes, I am talking about uni results too.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Yes, I am talking about uni results too.

Aha, wasn't aware that was required on the UCAS form :/, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending