The Student Room Group

How badly does Oxford using contextual data affect my chances

I go to a private school were twenty something got 10 A stars and I got 9( although average was 5-6).Does oxford, since they contextualise my data against others in my year, consider this difference.
Could @BrasenoseAdm perhaps help?
Reply 1
They like a bit of posh at Oxford.
You'll probably be fine. You did above average after all and very well besides. I doubt GCSEs will be the thing that trips you up.
Original post by RayApparently
You'll probably be fine. You did above average after all and very well besides. I doubt GCSEs will be the thing that trips you up.

Thanks, do you know how the "contextual " system actually works?
Original post by Handwritingman
Thanks, do you know how the "contextual " system actually works?

See here.
Oh so it shouldnt affect me at all provided Im above average at my school
I wouldnt worry. I seriously doubt getting 9A*s at GCSE will be the thing which prevents you getting in. Also, of all your GCSE subjects how many are even related to the degree you want to do? I cant imagine them going "Well, this applicant is incredibly enthusiastic for the subject, got 98% in their A level and performed well in the interviews. However, their RS GCSE was only an A so frankly i cant believe we even considered accepting them."

The hardest part of getting into Oxford will be the interviews. I suppose it depends on what you apply for but everyone I know who applied had to go through 3 interviews.
Who would you pick?
Someone who goes to a decent school with decent results and performs averagely at the interviews & tests.
Someone who goes to a crap school, loads of flags with similar results and performs averagely at interviews & tests.
Again this is not enough information imo. Contextual data is there for a reason.
Tbh this is an extreme example as everyone is different.

I wouldn't stress at all about that. It won't be the deciding factor to whether you get an offer or not.
There are so many factors involved. And well I guess luck also plays a part too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pentaquark
Who would you pick?
Someone who goes to a decent school with decent results and performs averagely at the interviews & tests.
Someone who goes to a crap school, loads of flags with similar results and performs averagely at interviews & tests.
Again this is not enough information imo. Contextual data is there for a reason.
Tbh this is an extreme example as everyone is different.

I wouldn't stress at all about that. It won't be the deciding factor to whether you get an offer or not.
There are so many factors involved. And well I guess luck also plays a part too!

Thanks, that's very reassuring!
Original post by Marked Target
I wouldnt worry. I seriously doubt getting 9A*s at GCSE will be the thing which prevents you getting in. Also, of all your GCSE subjects how many are even related to the degree you want to do? I cant imagine them going "Well, this applicant is incredibly enthusiastic for the subject, got 98% in their A level and performed well in the interviews. However, their RS GCSE was only an A so frankly i cant believe we even considered accepting them."

The hardest part of getting into Oxford will be the interviews. I suppose it depends on what you apply for but everyone I know who applied had to go through 3 interviews.

I thought it was only one interview?

Maybe it varies from course to course or the strength of the applicant but I knew about 10 people who got interviews at Oxford and iirc all of them had 3 interviews (6 applied for maths, 3 for maths and something else and 1 for physics). I should also say that these people were strong candidates (at least 3 of them got A*A*A* at A level, idk what they all got though) so i doubt they had more interviews because they were weaker candidates on paper.

The interviews were all within a short time frame (a few days).
(edited 7 years ago)

Varies by subject, but you can expect to probably get more than one. In biochemistry, for example, you are automatically allocated a second college to interview at, so at least two interviews. And then tutors from the same or other colleges can then call you back again for additional interviews. It isn't clear-cut why you would or wouldn't be invited for additional interviews, i.e. there's no knowing whether being asked to stay for further interviews is because you were weaker or stronger than other candidates. Equally, you can't read much into if you're sent home after 1 or 2 interviews. Off the top of my head, at Oxford, some of my friends had had two interviews, I had three and I think one might have had 5/6.
Original post by Marked Target
Maybe it varies from course to course or the strength of the applicant but I knew about 10 people who got interviews at Oxford and iirc all of them had 3 interviews (6 applied for maths, 3 for maths and something else and 1 for physics). I should also say that these people were strong candidates (at least 3 of them got A*A*A* at A level, idk what they all got though) so i doubt they had more interviews because they were weaker candidates on paper.

The interviews were all within a short time frame (a few days).

Ah did any of them have only 9 A *?
Ah did any of them have only 9 A *?

tbh, I've no idea. GCSE results are an icebreaker for the 1st week of college and after that they're basically just bragging rights. We did 13 GCSEs at my high school (about 30 people did I should say, most did 11) so that might make comparison a bit skewed since idk how many you did but I don't think anyone got all A*s.

I love how you say "only 9 A*" as though it isn't many. 9 A*s is plenty. I'm presuming you got them in the relevant subjects as well. Its really not something to beat yourself up over.

I always got the impression that contextual data was there more to help people from really ****ty school who did amazing considering their teachers probably didn't even turn up rather than to hinder people who had an excellent education. Maybe I'm wrong but I think getting a good personal statement and doing well in A1 exams is what will matter now - your GCSEs are perfectly adequate.
You're a failure in life.
Original post by Supersaps
You're a failure in life.

Why?Lol
Why?Lol

you only got 9A*s...imagine the shame...the terrible shame of only 9A*
Original post by Tabstercat
you only got 9A*s...imagine the shame...the terrible shame of only 9A*

Oh its a joke hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest