The Student Room Group

GLS training contract application

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
PFO also- so disheartened by this one, really hoped I'd done enough having gotten so far! Will be interested in feedback, want to know what more I could have done!
Original post by thetfordkid0
I remember getting my assessment report early October last year, was about 13 pages long and fairly detailed as well as showing what points you scored in each criteria category.

Did anyone here pass the Assessment Centre?
Reply 122
Yes I did, they said that we would find out if we actually got a tc by 1st sept. Wondering how many people passed the assessment centre
Original post by Law91
Yes I did, they said that we would find out if we actually got a tc by 1st sept. Wondering how many people passed the assessment centre

I'm wondering the same. Are there roughly the same number of us through as there are positions available or is it still a 2 -1 chance or something?
Original post by AustinTX
I'm wondering the same. Are there roughly the same number of us through as there are positions available or is it still a 2 -1 chance or something?

My understanding is that there is a minimum pass mark - they don't cull people as such. So in theory the 130ish that got through to the AC might all meet the minimum standard, or alternatively only 10 people might.
Original post by tsr_sleuth
My understanding is that there is a minimum pass mark - they don't cull people as such. So in theory the 130ish that got through to the AC might all meet the minimum standard, or alternatively only 10 people might.

The email confirmation that I'd passed the assessment centre was more positive than I'd expected. I'm curious to know if they will work down the list contacting the highest scorers first or whether it will all come at once.
The email confirmation that I'd passed the assessment centre was more positive than I'd expected. I'm curious to know if they will work down the list contacting the highest scorers first or whether it will all come at once.

I agree - I assume we all got the same e-mail. Looking at this thread the previous offer-holder got a telephone call from the relevant department. I imagine the Final Board meets, assigns people to departments provisionally, and then the Department contacts people. This might mean that individual departments could contact people at different times throughout the day - but presumably by 1st/2nd at the latest.

Here's hoping... though I put down 'barrister positions only' so I'm not holding my breath :smile: !
I agree - I assume we all got the same e-mail. Looking at this thread the previous offer-holder got a telephone call from the relevant department. I imagine the Final Board meets, assigns people to departments provisionally, and then the Department contacts people. This might mean that individual departments could contact people at different times throughout the day - but presumably by 1st/2nd at the latest.

Here's hoping... though I put down 'barrister positions only' so I'm not holding my breath :smile: !

Good luck. I put down either but prefer barrister.
Did the email telling you that you'd passed the assessment centre require any positive action on your part? I.e. were you asked to reconfirm your interest or your preferences etc? Or was it simply a notification email? Thanks!
Reply 129
Mine was just a notification email

They start at the top and work down until the places are filled (including the horse trading between departments - although that should be less this year after TSol became GLD having launched a hostile takeover of legal teams in most other depts). If they are turned down by applicants they may well move further down the list, but I know they've not offered to people who passed the AC even when places aren't full in previous years.

Not the answer people will want, I know!
Original post by Ethereal
They start at the top and work down until the places are filled (including the horse trading between departments - although that should be less this year after TSol became GLD having launched a hostile takeover of legal teams in most other depts). If they are turned down by applicants they may well move further down the list, but I know they've not offered to people who passed the AC even when places aren't full in previous years.

Not the answer people will want, I know!

That's very interesting. Do you know what the rationale is for that? I mean, for still having places to fill but deciding not to offer to other candidates further down the list?
That's very interesting. Do you know what the rationale is for that? I mean, for still having places to fill but deciding not to offer to other candidates further down the list?

Some departments set a higher minimum than the AC, and so are not willing to accept people who score lower even if they have passed the AC. Probably much less likely to occur now the majority of "departments" are actually GLD...
Some departments set a higher minimum than the AC, and so are not willing to accept people who score lower even if they have passed the AC. Probably much less likely to occur now the majority of "departments" are actually GLD...

Ah, that makes some sense. Makes little difference to me though, in truth. Having put down 'pupillage only', I recognise I need to be in the top 10-15, depending on others' preferences, to stand a chance!
Ah, that makes some sense. Makes little difference to me though, in truth. Having put down 'pupillage only', I recognise I need to be in the top 10-15, depending on others' preferences, to stand a chance!

I've never really understood why they limit either - both do the same job anyway!
I've never really understood why they limit either - both do the same job anyway!

Do they literally do the same job?
Do they literally do the same job?

Yes. The training is slightly different, but there is no difference in job upon qualification. Barristers no more likely to exercise rights of audience then solicitors in the GLS. It's mostly instruct counsel for advocacy.
Yes. The training is slightly different, but there is no difference in job upon qualification. Barristers no more likely to exercise rights of audience then solicitors in the GLS. It's mostly instruct counsel for advocacy.

That's interesting. The first six spent in external chambers sounds fascinating though.
That's interesting. The first six spent in external chambers sounds fascinating though.

I think that depends on the person - I know some who hated it and some who never really got over leaving it to go back in house...
I think that depends on the person - I know some who hated it and some who never really got over leaving it to go back in house...

I can imagine. It seems odd to go through different training structures to end up in the same job. Why do they bother?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending