The Student Room Group

Good luck Brexiters

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37210138

so now we need to make sure that we don't allow Britain to keep the nice things, so to speak, related to Europe while taking no responsibility.

Better luck with the "Anglosphere" I guess.

Scroll to see replies

So basically they're saying that they want to make sure Britain is hurt and to make an example of it so other people won't want to leave.

Not to let Britain have nice things when it leaves.

Sounds bad...
Reply 2
Which is what the EU already hinted at before the referendum, which is what many people said would happen.

And which makes sense, they do need to set an example.
This just tells you what the EU is all about. Treating one of it's oldest friends like a sack of ****.
Reply 4
Original post by Dodgypirate
This just tells you what the EU is all about. Treating one of it's oldest friends like a sack of ****.

Not really. More like its "oldest friend" decided it didn't want to be its friend anymore but still wants all the benefits of being a friend without actually being a friend.
A union where anyone who wants to leave gets stabbed in the back isn't a union you want to be in.
Reply 6
Original post by carolinehj
A union where anyone who wants to leave gets stabbed in the back isn't a union you want to be in.

I think we all know who did the stabbing in the back because they think they are something better and want their cake and eat it too.

Lulz.
Reply 7
Original post by Dodgypirate

A friend?
its a fair, and obvious point. there are strong eurosceptic movements in quite a few EU states, and the clamour from them to leave the EU if the UK is perceived to have negotiated a good deal with the EU will be stronger. basically, for the EU to survive further eurosceptic movements, the EU must ensure those nations are not encouraged to leave by giving the UK a good deal.

one nation (the UK) and its interests in trade with the EU, is a very minor thing in the wider scheme of things. yes, tariffs and reciprocal tariffs will cost both the EU and the UK jobs and money, but that is the price to be paid for brexit. remember that we will have EU based manufacturers and businesses who do a great amount of business lobbying to ensure continued tariff free access to the UK market and vice versa. a compromise will be struck somewhere.
Yeah, a friend. People are acting like due to this referendum the UK is turning its back on Europe which is so far from the truth. The only difference really is that we now make our own laws, and decide what to do with our taxpayers money. The UK has given so much to Europe over the decades, however the EU laws have ****ed up so many people's lives not only in the UK but in the whole of Europe. The UK has it's own problems to pay for, before paying for all of Europes problems as well. The union was a futile attempt at a common market and free movement, but guess what, the people don't like it.

Britain at least had the guts to ask it's people what they actually wanted, the other countries are afraid to. The European people aren't getting their say.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by carolinehj
Yeah, a friend. People are acting like due to this referendum the UK is turning its back on Europe which is so far from the truth. The only difference really is that we now make our own laws, and decide what to do with our taxpayers money. The UK has given so much to Europe over the decades, however the EU laws have ****ed up so many people's lives not only in the UK but in the whole of Europe. The UK has it's own problems to pay for, before paying for all of Europes problems as well. The union was a futile attempt at a common market and free movement, but guess what, the people don't like it.

Britain at least had the guts to ask it's people what they actually wanted, the other countries are afraid to. The European people aren't getting their say.

Or those echoing sentiments a la Brexit are simply in the minority?

And yes, you are not a friend to Europe. Exactly that kind of attitude makes you not a friend.

Good riddance I say.
This really explains why so many people voted Leave.

The EU started as a union for European countries to promote peace and economic cooperation.

The fact that it wants to punish those who leaves the the union, shows that the union is no longer what is was intended to be.

It has turned into a black hole for money and power-hungry beaureucrats. It seeks to expand its influence and will not allow any alternatives. Its determination to survive and dominate greatly resembles a fascist state.

The UK wants to trade with Europe and the world, the UK wants to make its own laws. These aren't much to ask for. If the EU wants to make things difficult, then this is exactly reason to vote leave. We are being reasonable, and they are not.

What the EU still do not understand is that the democratic wish of a population must be respected. If we ignore the majority and stay in the EU, we are no different to a dictatorship. The EU simply refuses to listen to its European citizens, and now a member state decides to leave the union, they still refuse to listen. They see the rise of Eurosceptism as an unexplained far-right phenomenon, never acknowledging this as the result of bad organisation structure and policies. This is how far removed the EU is from the everyday worries people have over its policies.

Having now shown its true nature, I am even more glad to have voted leave. It is a brave move, but there are also opportunities. I believe leaving this abusive union will put us on the right side of history, as we stood up and led the way against hostile political dominance.
Reply 12
Original post by CherishFreedom
This really explains why so many people voted Leave.

The EU started as a union for European countries to promote peace and economic cooperation.

The fact that it wants to punish those who leaves the the union, shows that the union is no longer what is was intended to be.

It has turned into a black hole for money and power-hungry beaureucrats. It seeks to expand its influence and will not allow any alternatives. Its determination to survive and dominate greatly resembles a fascist state.

The UK wants to trade with Europe and the world, the UK wants to make its own laws. These aren't much to ask for. If the EU wants to make things difficult, then this is exactly reason to vote leave. We are being reasonable, and they are not.

What the EU still do not understand is that the democratic wish of a population must be respected. If we ignore the majority and stay in the EU, we are no different to a dictatorship. The EU simply refuses to listen to its European citizens, and now a member state decides to leave the union, they still refuse to listen. They see the rise of Eurosceptism as an unexplained far-right phenomenon, never acknowledging this as the result of bad organisation structure and policies. This is how far removed the EU is from the everyday worries people have over its policies.

Having now shown its true nature, I am even more glad to have voted leave. It is a brave move, but there are also opportunities. I believe leaving this abusive union will put us on the right side of history, as we stood up and led the way against hostile political dominance.

Lol'd.

Get punished for trying to have your cake and eat it, too, and then cry about how unfair the punisher is.

Good ****ing riddance.
Original post by inhuman
Lol'd.

Get punished for trying to have your cake and eat it, too, and then cry about how unfair the punisher is.

Good ****ing riddance.

But what do you mean by 'having your cake and eat it'?

As I said, all we want is to make our own laws and trade with the world. The fact they want us to get less than that puts them in the wrong side of the argument, not us.

By the way you can use the most remote metaphors, but our requests are pretty sensible. It's interesting you have to portray the UK as some kid getting punished and crying about a cake, to try to make a point in debate.

Tell me what is so unreasonable about us wanting free trade and making our own laws?

If you think this is too luxurious for the UK, then you must have some third world standard regarding trade and law making.
Reply 14
But what do you mean by 'having your cake and eat it'?

As I said, all we want is to make our own laws and trade with the world. The fact they want us to get less than that puts them in the wrong side of the argument, not us.

By the way you can use the most remote metaphors, but our requests are pretty sensible. It's interesting you have to portray the UK as some kid getting punished and crying about a cake, to try to make a point in debate.

Tell me what is so unreasonable about us wanting free trade and making our own laws?

If you think this is too luxurious for the UK, then you must have some third world standard regarding trade and law making.

No. You left because you think the EU is unfair on you, because you don't want to contribute.

You want the same deal you have while you were in the EU and think that is reasonable (that is the metaphor, it's not that remote). While other countries outside need to accept multiple things such as free immigration and pay for entry into the single market.
Original post by inhuman
No. You left because you think the EU is unfair on you, because you don't want to contribute.

You want the same deal you have while you were in the EU and think that is reasonable (that is the metaphor, it's not that remote). While other countries outside need to accept multiple things such as free immigration and pay for entry into the single market.

Yes we did leave because it was unfair on us. But no, we did contribute, we are one of 3 net contributors to the EU, the 2nd largest in fact.

We don't want the same deal as we have under the EU, as I said, we want to trade with the World, but it seems that the EU does not want to trade freely with most non-European countries.

So here you are dramatising my argument when we actually will get mostly what we wanted when we leave the EU, even if it means a tariff on EU trade. But then again, I would assume that's why you would react so aggressively - after losing something it's always better to make a fuss, to create the illusion that the majority made a bad decision, right?
Reply 16
Yes we did leave because it was unfair on us. But no, we did contribute, we are one of 3 net contributors to the EU, the 2nd largest in fact.

We don't want the same deal as we have under the EU, as I said, we want to trade with the World, but it seems that the EU does not want to trade freely with most non-European countries.

So here you are dramatising my argument when we actually will get mostly what we wanted when we leave the EU, even if it means a tariff on EU trade. But then again, I would assume that's why you would react so aggressively - after losing something it's always better to make a fuss, to create the illusion that the majority made a bad decision, right?

Oh no. As I said. Good ****ing riddance.
Original post by inhuman
Oh no. As I said. Good ****ing riddance.

If you care so little and wish the UK "good riddance", why kick up so much of a fuss about it?

You're like the partner who's just been dumped who goes around telling everyone that you're fine. Honestly fine. Really fine. Perfectly ok....but then cries into your pillow every night.
Definitely "down the drains". Says the German politician whom country is a freaking mess because of Merkel and the EU. I seriously didn't feel safe while driving through the entire country.
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Definitely "down the drains". Says the German politician whom country is a freaking mess because of Merkel and the EU. I seriously didn't feel safe while driving through the entire country.

I went to berlin and I didnt see a single refugee, or Muslim

lol

Quick Reply

Latest