The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge with my results?

Ok so i got my results last week, i got 4 A's in: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and chemistry. I know thats alright but i don't know if my ums is good enough :/.
I got:
Decision 1 - 84
Core 1 - 88
Core 2 - 96
Mechanics 1 - 100
Mechanics 2 - 90
Further Pure 1 - 91

Also, is there any advantage of doing all 4 A-levels as oppose to 3?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Cambridge to study what?
Original post by londoncricket
Cambridge to study what?

Maths
I did 4 A levels and nobody cared.

I would still do 4 given the choice again because i enjoyed all 4 and because of vanity reasons (I should say I got A*A*AA in Maths/Further/Chemistry/History 2UMS of an A* in chemistry >:I). Imo, you get more than enough free time even when doing 4 A levels. If you do 3 then like 50% of your time is frees and idk what I would even do with myself. It also means if you bomb in something then you've got a spare.

I know someone who got into Cambridge with A*AAA* in Maths/Further/Physics/Computing so I guess you don't even need the A*A*. STEP is far harder than A level further maths. Take a look at some STEP papers (they will most likely be well beyond you atm) because if you do well in STEP and present yourself well then they'll have you.

Personally, I dislike the fact that A*s exist at A level (even though i got 2). I feel like the difference between an A and an A* is mostly luck. Especially in subjects like history. I suppose it distinguishes between those who scrape an A and those who are well beyond one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Marked Target
I did 4 A levels and nobody cared.

I would still do 4 given the choice again because i enjoyed all 4 and because of vanity reasons (I should say I got A*A*AA in Maths/Further/Chemistry/History 2UMS of an A* in chemistry >:I). Imo, you get more than enough free time even when doing 4 A levels. If you do 3 then like 50% of your time is frees and idk what I would even do with myself. It also means if you bomb in something then you've got a spare.

I know someone who got into Cambridge with A*AAA* in Maths/Further/Physics/Computing so I guess you don't even need the A*A*. STEP is far harder than A level further maths. Take a look at some STEP papers (they will most likely be well beyond you atm) because if you do well in STEP and present yourself well then they'll have you.

Personally, I dislike the fact that A*s exist at A level (even though i got 2). I feel like the difference between an A and an A* is mostly luck. Especially in subjects like history. I suppose it distinguishes between those who scrape an A and those who are well beyond one.

I agree with the last part, particularly in maths where, the difference between getting 90/95 UMS and someone who gets 100 just due to not making silly mistakes or something like that rather than ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending